Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth in London, HMV Forum 23/10/09
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.24.2009, 10:09 AM   #81
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
The man was on fire, agreed.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2009, 10:24 AM   #82
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I really enjoyed the show as well... and managed to get a superb view/position near the front where Stereo Sanctity was the highlight for me as well as DV69, (mindblowing) Massage The History, Malibu Gas Station and Antenna. I also really enjoyed Walkin' Blue, which is the weakest song for me, on The Eternal. All of The Eternal songs seemed to burn brightly in the live setting, and in my opinion were far superior to the recorded versions. For this reason I would have loved to have heard Thunderclap, but you can't win 'em all. The only thing that slightly marred it for me was the extremely unwashed, older gentleman who was in front of me... I endured the stench of his stale, sweaty leather jacket for the whole of the set because I was loath to give up my view... the things that I do for this band !.

On the subject of clothing Kim rocked a fantastic Rodarte dress... go Kim.

I kept my eyes peeled for any recognizable boardies but alas didn't spot anyone... ...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2009, 11:25 AM   #83
Santa's Monkey
little trouble girl

Santa's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Setlist was -
main set - everything from The Eternal except Thunderclap and What We Know. +Hey Joni, +White Cross +Stereo Sanctity

1st encore:
Tom Violence
'Cross The Breeze

2nd encore:
What We Know
Death Valley '69

(I've noticed this is a reccuring trend in recent setlists - can someone please explain why What We Know features in the encore and not the main gig? It's not old enough to be a classic, and even if it was, it wouldn't be)

NME provides an order, so assuming it's correct:

'Sacred Trickster'
'No Way'
'Calming The Snake'
'Stereo Sanctity'
'Walkin Blue'
'Poison Arrow'
'Anti-Orgasm'
'Hey Joni'
'Malibu Gas Station'
'Antenna'
'White Cross'
'Leaky Lifeboat'
'Massage The History'

'Tom Violence'
''Cross The Breeze'

'What We Know'
'Death Valley '69'
Santa's Monkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2009, 12:02 PM   #84
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

(I've noticed this is a reccuring trend in recent setlists - can someone please explain why What We Know features in the encore and not the main gig? It's not old enough to be a classic, and even if it was, it wouldn't be)

They always open their encores w/ a song from the album they're touring for. My Friend Goo, JC, Stil [technicality], Lightnin, Disconnection Notice, blah blah... plus it gives Lee a third song which he might not get in the main set.

...and it's one of the highlights of the album. I asked the same question you did when they encored with 'Lights Out', but that was justified. Please don't tell me people are still going to complain about having too much Eternal material on the Eternal tour...have we forgotten who this band is?
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2009, 12:08 PM   #85
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Yeh, it's their prerogative what the hell they include in their encores.
Old 10.24.2009, 12:41 PM   #86
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

...and it's one of the highlights of the album. I asked the same question you did when they encored with 'Lights Out', but that was justified.

Why is that justified and my statement isn't? I prefer Lights Out to What We Know, it's just a matter of taste...

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 10.24.2009, 01:12 PM   #87
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Clearly because I'm right, and you're wrong.

...or because it's an opinion.

(Seriously, "Lights Out" over "What We Know"?! Were you disappointed they didn't play Thunderclap, too?)
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 10.24.2009, 01:16 PM   #88
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Chatting with Stu before and after the gig confirmed that the only Sonic Youth fans I don't tend to think are absolute pricks are on this board. So umm, love y'all.

It was good to meet another boardie, i had a really good time. sorry i didn't see anyone else though. did i imagine it or did they say the show will be broadcast on Q radio? i don't know what day.

some pix here http://gallery.qthemusic.com/gallery...h/Default.aspx

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2009, 01:23 PM   #89
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Stu - I remember the bloke saying it would be on the 5th of November, i think, from 9 or 10 pm. Not sure though, that'll need to be checked.

Chris - Yeah, I was hoping for a bit of Thunderclap. But we got Calming The Snake and Poison Arrow, and all the other greats from the Eternal - I was a satisfied man...

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 10.24.2009, 03:04 PM   #90
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
thunderclap is awesome.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2009, 05:31 PM   #91
Chris Lawrence

i've warmed up to it. i wish they were playing it, actually.
Old 10.24.2009, 08:33 PM   #92
Santa's Monkey
little trouble girl

Santa's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's asses
Ha ha, the only song they didn't play from the new album! We're so hard to please.

I found it quite telling how hard the venue erupted when the non-eternal songs were played. No matter what age, whenever a non-eternal track was played, everyone around me (I was 5-6 feet to the stage left of Lee) loved it.

I'm not saying I'm disappointed they didn't do a greatest hits set (history and recent setlists should have given that away) but just imagine if they had!

?edit? yes, bloke from q said it would be broadcast on q radio at 9 o'clock on...... I'm sure it was a Friday but 6th doesn't ring much of a bell... def. early november.
Santa's Monkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2009, 04:55 AM   #93
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
5th time seeing them and I really enjoyed it. Don't know what you miserable shits are on about! Although Massage The History was fucking ruined by some stupid, dumb, drunk italian guys next to me. I was not happy about that. But no, really good set list...well except for the inclusion of Walkin Blue.

"You know what I say? fuckit!" Never has Thurston sounded more cool than when saying that.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2009, 04:55 AM   #94
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa's Monkey
Ha ha, the only song they didn't play from the new album! We're so hard to please.

I found it quite telling how hard the venue erupted when the non-eternal songs were played. No matter what age, whenever a non-eternal track was played, everyone around me (I was 5-6 feet to the stage left of Lee) loved it.

I'm not saying I'm disappointed they didn't do a greatest hits set (history and recent setlists should have given that away) but just imagine if they had!

?edit? yes, bloke from q said it would be broadcast on q radio at 9 o'clock on...... I'm sure it was a Friday but 6th doesn't ring much of a bell... def. early november.

November 6th.

Old 10.25.2009, 05:02 AM   #95
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Death Valley '69
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roZ3sPA-mdY

Old 10.25.2009, 11:36 AM   #96
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i thought it was an incredible gig. Was blown away by massage the history, malibu gas station and walkin' blue. the songs i was 'meh' about on the album were great, and the ones i love were stunning, and we got Cross the Breeze!

and are people complaing that Death Valley 69 was rocking? seriously? it was fucking incredible!
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2009, 11:53 AM   #97
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

So did anyone meet any of them before or after?

Old 10.26.2009, 04:54 AM   #98
Blue Eagle
empty page

Blue Eagle has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
[quote=Santa's Monkey]

quote]

I totally agree with the change in atmosphere whenever an older song was played. I was stood on the steps near the back and you could see the whole venue rocking during 'Cross the breeze and DV69. However, I thought that all the new stuff came across really good as well.
Blue Eagle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 04:55 AM   #99
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
and Steve was indeed incredible.
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2009, 06:12 AM   #100
stu666
Super Moderator

where was the merchandise?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth