Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 30 records of 08 at this point...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.24.2008, 01:11 PM   #101
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
another great release this year is collections of colonies of bees - six guitars...

tables of elements rules.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2008, 01:29 PM   #102
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Can't believe HEALTH hasn't been mentioned already? Or have they realeased it last year?
Old 07.24.2008, 01:42 PM   #103
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
it's not very good, and it was released in 2007.

Old 07.24.2008, 01:45 PM   #104
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Darn, so much for adding something that hasn't been mentioned before in this thread.
Old 07.24.2008, 01:48 PM   #105
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I do not know if I have bought more than 7 or 8 new albums this year.
Old 07.24.2008, 02:05 PM   #106
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

i have bought 7 or 8 old albums.

this pawn shop near my house gets all kinds of awesome albums for $2.. i got the entire mr. bungle discography for $6!

Old 07.24.2008, 02:09 PM   #107
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Suishou No Fune - Prayer For Chibi is just so so good.

Formed in 1999 by guitarists Pirako Kurenai and Kageo, Suishou no Fune has pursued a pretty singular cause in their nine years. Working a rich vein that picks up the Velvet Underground’s influence right where Les Rallizes Denudes left it, these two play slow-motion ballads, plying thick, droning guitars with hefty doses of feedback and distortion. That much of the material on their handful of releases has been captured live in concert is hardly surprising; after all, these lengthy, languid pieces are truly of the moment, tumbling forth with a voluminous presence that was obviously created to fill voids both spiritual and physical.

Though recorded in the studio, there’s hardly a thin or underworked moment throughout both discs of Suishou no Fune’s Prayer for Chibi, their latest long player (and a sprawling, two-disc behemoth of an album at that). Created as a memorial to their dearly departed cat, Prayer is tonally split across its two discs; the first focuses on gauzy, almost transparent guitar tones and textures, while the second digs much deeper to unearth more harrowing performances. In keeping with the theme of memorial, it’s almost as if the first half focuses on remembrance, allowing the second half to confront the void of loss head-on.

While unmistakably possessed by the same demons that can make Fushitsusha such a harrowing experience, there’s still a certain levity to Prayer for Chibi’s front half that grants each track an almost indisputable weightlessness. Here, the guitars are diffuse, stretching out into gauzy streams of consciousness that mesh with the lofting, intertwined vocals of Kurenai and Kageo. While the idea of corporeal transience plays out again and again in the lyrics, the sounds that accompany them make for some of the sweetest moments the band has ever committed to tape. The mammoth “Prayer” opens the album by shaking off shackled percussion, gradually granting a slow blues the freedom to roam across the stratosphere. Later, “Till We Meet Again” plots a similar course, matching simple, melodic guitar lines against a backdrop of steadily darkening drone.

Dealing in altogether different shades, Prayer for Chibi’s second disc opens on far more tempestuous ground, with the leads of “Resurrection Night” launching headlong into a constantly encroaching din. It’s a stark contrast to the almost genteel nature of grief explored earlier, and one that cuts to the core with an ever-sharpening blade. Most harrowing of all here is undoubtedly “The Stars Know All,” and eviscerated blues that pitches notes and chords into the black against forlorn vocals, breaking only for some hard strums towards the close of the piece.
Out of the whole of Japan’s modern wave of psychedelic acts, none choose to explore the exquisite possibilities of the endless bummer with as much intensity as Suishou no Fune. Even still, while their material pursues an almost unmatched heaviness in both tone and aesthetic execution, Prayer for Chibi shows the band developing into a formidably spare ensemble, one that’s capable of highlighting the sheer transformational power of grief and loss. More so than any of their other releases to date, Prayer for Chibi finds the band confidently leaving behind solid ground for all that the sky above has to offer, for better and for worse.

Old 07.24.2008, 02:14 PM   #108
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
other excellent records of this year: mark stewart-edit, kylie minoise-fucking loves everyone, the bug-london zoo, ascend-ample fire within, bill dixon-17 musicians in search of a sound: darfur

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2008, 02:14 PM   #109
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
i have bought 7 or 8 old albums.

this pawn shop near my house gets all kinds of awesome albums for $2.. i got the entire mr. bungle discography for $6!

fucking goddamn shit@!!!!!!!

lucky bastards!!!!
Old 07.24.2008, 02:23 PM   #110
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
so far i like 4 records this year

1. vivian girls- s/t
2. no age- nouns
3. boris- smile
4. portishead- third

does syr 7 count as an lp or ep?
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2008, 02:26 PM   #111
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

the new phantom orchard was pretty good.

Old 07.24.2008, 02:52 PM   #112
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
4. portishead- third

Hell yes! This is my #1 choice of 2008 releases so far. The Benga CD is pretty damn good as well.
Old 07.24.2008, 02:57 PM   #113
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler

does syr 7 count as an lp or ep?

Who cares? I consider an EP to be like a "mini-album"... I'll gladly put an EP in a list of albums IF it deserves to be there.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2008, 06:04 PM   #114
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
its not a massive amount of money if you have it!!!!!

for the record.. i own probably 75% of the ones listed above

Glice, he really does! So does Everyneurotic. Yours is an excellent list, PAULYBEE2656.

I, however, haha...

although, I haven't been downloading in months...seem to be breaking that compulsion...

i took my windows burner apart and married it with a mac housing (because the power adaptor plug is slightly different), but have yet to find a free program for mac os 10.4 that actually works or works well...

same thing with torrents...tomato happens to be very slow for me...too slow

I also have no ripper currently, because I refuse to use iTunes as such. (vlc is no good for ripping) (edit: I just found one called Max)

wonder if Tokolosh or someone using Mac(s) might have suggestions...
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 06:39 AM   #115
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

New Venetian Snares is pretty great. One of the few artists who is actually getting better on each album.. whereas his first few albums were a lot of cut and pasted beats that anyone with sound recorder and a shitload of samples could do, now he REALLY manipulates the beats, microscopically, in little nanosecond glitch-bursts that had to have taken weeks... also, he is introducing more and more melody (!) and he seems to be trying to really make each song something different and special. THumbs up.

New Stereolab is great of course.

New Zach Hill album is surprisingly pretty good...

Old 07.27.2008, 06:41 AM   #116
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
new entry in my list at number 3 or 2 or 1 , havent quite decided yet... stereolabs chemical chords..
Old 07.27.2008, 06:42 AM   #117
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
the new ponytail album is really great!!!

yes it is really great....... agreed
Old 07.27.2008, 06:42 AM   #118
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

figured you'd like it pauly.

prayer for chibi's probably my favorite so far.

great year for music.

Old 07.27.2008, 06:45 AM   #119
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

oh yeah and without sounding too trendy.. im loving the fleet foxes album...

another great release this year is the jimmy cakes spectre and crown.. post rock done irish style.....quality....
Old 07.27.2008, 07:13 AM   #120
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

texan? you have a big hat, racist untertones and live on a big ranch and drill for oil???

dont you love trading stereotypes!
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth