Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Belgium is about to split
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.13.2010, 05:55 AM   #21
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Didn't the French in Quebec laughably want to split from Canada?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 05:59 AM   #22
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
it depends, some of them just whined alot but there was cool french canadians called the flq who kidnapped politicians and blew up mail boxes and were just generally gangsta
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 06:56 AM   #23
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
i'm belgian and i live in flanders, and there is quite a lot of tension right now but...

it has always been there.

at the moment there is a very popular flemish politician who wants to separate the country, but he's very vague on how exactly he'd do that. i don't trust him at all, but he gets tons of votes since he entered a very popular tv show and profiled himself there as a smart and funny man, while he has quite extreme ideas. people now vote for him because they think he's smart and nice, but they barely know what he stands for. sickening.

most of the country is going towards the right, and the more extreme politicians and it scares me. there have always been screams about splitting the country and ditching the king, but now more and more people start to listen to it, while i don't think it's such a good idea.

and don't worry space, while the funding for culture and certain types of education will certainly drop, this new popular politician looks like this:

i think the waffles, fries and chocolate will be safe.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 12:14 PM   #24
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploesj
i'm belgian and i live in flanders, and there is quite a lot of tension right now but...

it has always been there.

at the moment there is a very popular flemish politician who wants to separate the country, but he's very vague on how exactly he'd do that. i don't trust him at all, but he gets tons of votes since he entered a very popular tv show and profiled himself there as a smart and funny man, while he has quite extreme ideas. people now vote for him because they think he's smart and nice, but they barely know what he stands for. sickening.

most of the country is going towards the right, and the more extreme politicians and it scares me. there have always been screams about splitting the country and ditching the king, but now more and more people start to listen to it, while i don't think it's such a good idea.

and don't worry space, while the funding for culture and certain types of education will certainly drop, this new popular politician looks like this:

i think the waffles, fries and chocolate will be safe.

We're fucked, his party (NVA) just won the elections in Flanders.

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 12:30 PM   #25
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
i know.

good thing: soon enough people will see he can't solve their issues either and they'll lose a ton of votes again. it was the same thing with vlaams belang, they got tons of votes, changed nothing and now they keep losing voters with every election.

flickr

Old 06.13.2010, 12:33 PM   #26
ploesj
invito al cielo

i find this man (bart de wever) extremely scary and i don't trust him: mainly because all he ever says seems like he thought about it beforehand. i've never heard him say anything spontaneously and it makes him look like he never shows his true face to me.

i'm also scared for the future of education in general and 'smaller' kind of schools (like art schools) especially. over the past few years, fundings for higher art educations have gone so low some of the teachers are underpaid, and these parties don't seem to care a whole lot about art or culture in general. we're doomed.

flickr

Old 06.13.2010, 09:40 PM   #27
Beautiful Plateau
children of satan

Beautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's asses
ploesj, stop scaring everyone, please

Seriously though, it's quite baffling, reading your posts in this thread. So much so that I don't really know where to begin.

Quote:
while he has quite extreme ideas
name one of his ideas you find extreme, please

Quote:
there is a very popular flemish politician who wants to separate the country, but he's very vague on how exactly he'd do that.
You're being more vague than I've ever seen him, imo.

Quote:
splitting the country and ditching the king, but now more and more people start to listen to it, while i don't think it's such a good idea.
Again, you don't say why you think an independent Flanders, Brussels and Wallonia is a bad idea. I'm guessing you must like our king.

Quote:
this new popular politician looks like this
Sure, Bart De Wever is overweight and not as sporty as Jörg Haider, but maybe that's a good thing... I also don't see why a politician's looks are important. (unless we're talking about Filip De Winter, of course )

Quote:
it was the same thing with vlaams belang, they got tons of votes, changed nothing...
Not trying to defend Vlaams Belang here, but they were never in power, never part of the government, because of the cordon sanitaire.

Quote:
we're doomed
You must be joking.

In his victory speech, De Wever reached out to both Wallonia and competing Flemish parties: "We have to realise ourselves that we have to build bridges, with Flemish and French-speaking Belgians alike."

Even though he is a proponent of an independent Flanders, I think De Wever means well with all people living in Belgium (including our king).

(I voted Groen! (Flemish green party) btw)

Last edited by Beautiful Plateau : 06.13.2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: forgot an emoticon (bis)
Beautiful Plateau is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2010, 11:16 PM   #28
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses

space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2010, 02:42 AM   #29
ploesj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Plateau
ploesj, stop scaring everyone, please

Seriously though, it's quite baffling, reading your posts in this thread. So much so that I don't really know where to begin.

name one of his ideas you find extreme, please

You're being more vague than I've ever seen him, imo.

Again, you don't say why you think an independent Flanders, Brussels and Wallonia is a bad idea. I'm guessing you must like our king.

Sure, Bart De Wever is overweight and not as sporty as Jörg Haider, but maybe that's a good thing... I also don't see why a politician's looks are important. (unless we're talking about Filip De Winter, of course )

Not trying to defend Vlaams Belang here, but they were never in power, never part of the government, because of the cordon sanitaire.

You must be joking.

In his victory speech, De Wever reached out to both Wallonia and competing Flemish parties: "We have to realise ourselves that we have to build bridges, with Flemish and French-speaking Belgians alike."

Even though he is a proponent of an independent Flanders, I think De Wever means well with all people living in Belgium (including our king).

(I voted Groen! (Flemish green party) btw)

wanting to make flanders a separate country is a pretty extreme thought in my head.

i'm vague because i'm not a politician and i don't intend to be one. these men are supposed to be really clear in what they are up to and what they want.

i've never felt the need to split our country in half. i've never felt 'flemish' or thought of myself as 'from flanders': i'm belgian.

oh and that thing about what he looks like? that was for space; if you read what i posted underneath his photo, you can see i was referring to his fear of losing the waffles

when i hear the people around me who voted for him, it's mainly because he seemed funny, smart and sympathetic in that tv-show, or because they think he'll do something about the immigrants and see him as something to vote for instead of vlaams belang (which they wouldn't do because they're not as mainstream and it's not as acceptable to vote for them...)

my youngest brother can't vote yet, but he's already screaming about 'how the streets are so unsafe because of all the immigrants'. we live in the center of the city, it's mainly tourists and restaurants and shops, and he never really goes anywhere else. it bothers him that he goes to school and there are a lot of foreign students there, but he forgets that they all speak dutch quite perfectly and are not that different from the rest of the students. i spend quite some time in the 'bad neighbourhoods' like borgerhout, and i rarely feel unsafe or threatened. to be honest, the only times i've really been bothered in the city was when drunk flemish students started to shout some nasty stuff.

i'm not going to say there are no problems with immigration in belgium, like we saw in brussels, but this has so many causes, and it's not just their fault.

oh, and i don't mind our king. he's part of the tradition of our country, and i think he might actually help to bring flanders and wallonia closer together. i might be naive, meh.

yesterday i was talking about all this to my boyfriend and older brother, and came to the conclusion that i don't trust bart de wever because everything he says sounds very well thought out. and i mean EVERYTHING. he never says anthing spontaneously in public, and thus never shows his true colors. call it intuition, but i don't trust him.

and i voted groen! too.

flickr

Old 06.14.2010, 02:54 AM   #30
Beautiful Plateau
children of satan

Beautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's assesBeautiful Plateau kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
wanting to make flanders a separate country is a pretty extreme thought in my head.

Even when it happens peacefully and democratically, like the dissolution of Czechoslovakia?

Old 06.14.2010, 11:02 AM   #31
ploesj
invito al cielo

oh and remember this?

they're pro.

flickr

Old 06.14.2010, 03:59 PM   #32
Beautiful Plateau
children of satan

Quote:

oh and remember this?

they're pro.

The only thing that sucks about that bridge is its name...

Old 06.14.2010, 05:16 PM   #33
ploesj
invito al cielo

Quote:
The only thing that sucks about that bridge is its name...

of course it doesn't matter to you, you don't live right next to where it's going to be.

i'd like to hear your opinion on a giant viaduct (because that's what it mainly is) this close to your home.

with this i mean the noise, pollution, view and the fact that it will go right through a neighbourhood that had just started to live up again, after lots of great initiatives. it was becoming a place for people to meet up and do things together instead of only being there to live because it's super cheap but dangerous. and now they want to plant that bridge through it.

flickr

Old 06.15.2010, 05:18 AM   #34
Beautiful Plateau
children of satan

Quote:
of course it doesn't matter to you, you don't live right next to where it's going to be.

i'd like to hear your opinion on a giant viaduct (because that's what it mainly is) this close to your home.

with this i mean the noise, pollution, view and the fact that it will go right through a neighbourhood that had just started to live up again, after lots of great initiatives. it was becoming a place for people to meet up and do things together instead of only being there to live because it's super cheap but dangerous. and now they want to plant that bridge through it.

You're mostly right, of course. I was just being provocative, sorry.

Old 06.15.2010, 05:25 AM   #35
ploesj
invito al cielo

Quote:
You're mostly right, of course. I was just being provocative, sorry.

sorry if i sounded a bit rude, but this is a sensitive matter around here

now the people in Berchem are getting worried since there are ideas to build a bridge there, and lead traffic through a street with a lot of houses.

the original idea was to lead the traffic around the city, but that part has been filled with houses too.

flickr

Old 01.20.2011, 02:20 PM   #36
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
I've just heard Belgium has no government for 200+ days.
And it doesn't explode, or implode.

Is that a belgium specificity, or are every gvt useless?
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2011, 02:50 PM   #37
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
people don't think enough about the waffles.

Pimpin, where you at, here in LA we mad concerned with the waffles you smell me on that?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2011, 03:18 PM   #38
Stijn
bad moon rising

Stijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2DvG...eature=related
Stijn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2011, 09:57 AM   #39
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Has Belgium split yet?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2011, 10:58 AM   #40
ploesj
invito al cielo

nope, but still no government. thank god the people are starting to protest, even though they are being very calm when doing so. it's about time those politicians start doing what they get paid for. we elected them to form a government and run the country, they should start doing so.

flickr

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth