Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2016, 01:19 PM   #20241
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I also hate that the Trek films keep destroying the Enterprise. cheap ass gimmick trope cliche. Kirk would have burned half the galaxy rather than let their ship be destroyed so stupidly every time.

Heh? The ship was only destroyed in Beyond as far as the new films go. Otherwise it's only been destroyed like 8 times across damn near 20 movies and fuckloads of shows (unless you count that TNG episode where they're stuck in a timeloop and it gets destroyed over and over and over and over and over again).

Wasn't destroyed in the the original films until... like, Nemesis or some shit. Whenever it was it was long after the Voyage Home (IV).

Yeah, it's happened a few times, but nowhere near every single film. Not even half the films. Not even a third of the films.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2016, 01:37 PM   #20242
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
drinking game: Drink every time Rob posts the word "hate." Haha.
Old 12.16.2016, 01:53 PM   #20243
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
drinking game: Drink every time Rob posts the word "hate." Haha.

You'd get waaaay more drunk if you took a sip every time I said "Kanye."

(Or if SuchFriends was still around, every time he began a sentence with the word "indeed." Bahah you know it's true!)
Old 12.16.2016, 02:47 PM   #20244
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Heh? The ship was only destroyed in Beyond as far as the new films go. Otherwise it's only been destroyed like 8 times across damn near 20 movies and fuckloads of shows (unless you count that TNG episode where they're stuck in a timeloop and it gets destroyed over and over and over and over and over again).

Wasn't destroyed in the the original films until... like, Nemesis or some shit. Whenever it was it was long after the Voyage Home (IV).

Yeah, it's happened a few times, but nowhere near every single film. Not even half the films. Not even a third of the films.

I hate it whenever it happens. I find it a stupid thing.
Old 12.16.2016, 03:41 PM   #20245
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am scared of Darth Vader again.
Old 12.16.2016, 06:37 PM   #20246
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I just watched Rogue One, and I've already forgotten what it was about.

Arrival however is a great movie. Go watch it instead please

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2016, 11:23 PM   #20247
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
I just watched Rogue One, and I've already forgotten what it was about.

I think this is going to have a shot at actually winning Best Picture. It will certainly be nominated. Haven't seen it yet, just reading the buzz vibes.
Old 12.17.2016, 09:49 AM   #20248
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Spoiler: Cthulhu is nice
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2016, 09:56 AM   #20249
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_

Isn't this propaganda about how the aliens are nice?

Did you see the original Arrival, with Charlie Sheen? the aliens are not nice.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2016, 11:44 AM   #20250
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Isn't this propaganda about how the aliens are nice?

Did you see the original Arrival, with Charlie Sheen? the aliens are not nice.

I remember that. It was a little creepy and a lot stupid. This is not a remake of that film though, so Sheen's "The Arrival" is not the original "Arrival."

That one had a direct-to-video sequel (the Arrival II!!!!) with some crap TV actor in it. Real power franchise right there.
Old 12.18.2016, 01:28 AM   #20251
Severian
invito al cielo

Can someone explain to me why everyone thought this was SOOOOOO offensively bad? Great cinema it was not. Nor was it a great comic book movie. Nor was it an engrossing story.

But it was a fun action movie with 'splosions n stuff.

Will Smith made me chuckle more than once.

Joker was a pitiful thing, of course, but for what it was, it was fine. Bit boring at times. Could have taken a lesson or two from Die Hard. But whatever... 3/5. Fine. Don't regret watching it. Hope they don't make this Sirens of Gotham follow-up that they're talking about, but fuck man it was ok.
Old 12.18.2016, 01:29 AM   #20252
Severian
invito al cielo

Killer Croc was awful. "I want BET." Blech.
Old 12.18.2016, 01:51 AM   #20253
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
About Time. (2013)

Too much human manipulation for my taste, thanks to the topic of time travel at will.
Old 12.18.2016, 02:00 AM   #20254
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't seen Suicide Squad so I can't critique it, nor can I defend it. Maybe it comes down to a lot of wasted potential. That's the impression I got. Maybe they should have made a Joker/Harley Quinn movie, and not a Suicide Squad movie. Or if not Joker/HQ, a Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy team up movie. Instead you have 11 characters all vying for screen time. I'm sure the reshoots didn't help. I get the impression it was a movie without a goal. If the movie cared about Harley Quinn make it a Harley Quinn film and cut out all the other characters. They could have had Harley join the Suicide Squad at the end of her own movie. DC films seem like they have no direction or plan, they are just throwing movies at the wall hoping one catches an audience. Where Marvel has a five-year plan. They are a well oiled machine at this point, that comes with its own downsides, but at least they stick to their plan, even if one or two of their movies doesn't succeed they give you enough to want to see what they do next.

Tonight I watched Jon Favreau's The Jungle Book, and I thought it was quite good. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. I'm animation fan, and I'd say 95% of the time I hate the idea of making something from animation into live-action. I really dread the upcoming Ghost in the Shell and Akira adaptations that are coming. The Jungle Book was solid though.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2016, 07:25 AM   #20255
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Wild at Heart

Along with Dune, probably my least favourite Lynch film (of the ones I've seen).
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2016, 09:53 AM   #20256
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
glad you finally saw Suicide Squad - and glad you liked it. You know I loved it. I actually just got the Extended Cut as a gift yesterday.

Oh, and I totally DO hope they make Gotham City Sirens, bruh.
Old 12.18.2016, 10:30 AM   #20257
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I haven't seen Suicide Squad so I can't critique it, nor can I defend it. Maybe it comes down to a lot of wasted potential. That's the impression I got. Maybe they should have made a Joker/Harley Quinn movie, and not a Suicide Squad movie. Or if not Joker/HQ, a Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy team up movie. Instead you have 11 characters all vying for screen time. I'm sure the reshoots didn't help. I get the impression it was a movie without a goal. If the movie cared about Harley Quinn make it a Harley Quinn film and cut out all the other characters. They could have had Harley join the Suicide Squad at the end of her own movie. DC films seem like they have no direction or plan, they are just throwing movies at the wall hoping one catches an audience. Where Marvel has a five-year plan. They are a well oiled machine at this point, that comes with its own downsides, but at least they stick to their plan, even if one or two of their movies doesn't succeed they give you enough to want to see what they do next.

See, I actually see it quite differently. I don't hate Harley Quinn, but I don't care much about the character. She's fun in comics as a kind of Robin to the Joker's Batman, but I don't get the massive fan base for a character that started as an extra body in a freaking cartoon. I think she was fine in the movie, more or less, but an entire movie about her seems like a wretched idea. Ditto for the Harley and Ivy movie idea (that's what Sirens of Gotham is supposed to be, I guess, only there will probably be a ridiculous Catwoman too.

I think the team should have been smaller, and maybe more in line with the original Suicide Squad. One of the things Marvel does really, really well is they take B-list characters (they have so many, after all) and they commit to them and make people give a shit about them. Guardians of the Galaxy was B-list at best until the '08 reboot, and Ant-Man? Give me a break. Even Thor and Iron Man are really pretty low hanging fruit compared to the likes of Spider-Man, Captain America and Wolverine. I think a Suicide Squad movie that rests on the laurels of Harley Quinn and the Joker is doomed to fail. Deadshot on the other hand? Best part of the movie, easy. Totally B-list, but it made me care about him. The original line up was just Rick Flagg and a bunch of military bros. I think that, with Deadshot and maybe Boomerang and a few others added for name recognition, would have been cool. And it could have even had fucking Harley Quinn for fuck's sake, as long as the Joker was kept out of it. Some characters just demand the spotlight, and the Joker as anything other than the primary antagonist just doesn't work.

What I find odd is that they're working backwards with half the characters. Batman being introduced as "old Batman"? As post Jason Todd Batman (which necessitates a post-Dickens Grayson Batman)? Batman with a man establish history with the Joker and presumably all of the other major rogues? Why?! Also, late in the game Joker and stuff, while Superman himself is still only a couple of years post-reveal (even though he's "dead"). That's asking a lot of audiences. "Hey, jump into our universe and pretend with us that it's been going on without your knowledge for god knows how long."

I know people get sick of origin stories, but this kind of narrative is absolutely not the answer.

I think they should be leaving any and all things Bat-related ALONE for a fucking while. Jesus. They should focus on a Star Wars-level Superman trilogy, a great Flash movie, maybe a Justice Society of America period piece, and Wonder Woman. And they should stop trying to knit stuff together. Fuck's sake. It does feel forced as hell.

But the movie was certainly not as bad as people made it out to be.

Also, Poison Ivy should never ever ever be in a movie ever again. Neither should Harley Quinn, unless it's a Batman movie where she plays a secondary villain. Putting the two in a move together as the main characters sounds fucking awful.

Quote:
I really dread the upcoming Ghost in the Shell and Akira adaptations that are coming.

Ah what? They're doing an Akira adaptation? Fucking hell! What the shit!
Old 12.18.2016, 07:05 PM   #20258
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Blue Velvet

On a bit of a Lynch marathon at the moment. Still blows me away, maybe even more now than ever.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2016, 11:02 PM   #20259
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Mad Max
Safety Not Guaranteed
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.

First time ever seeing any of the Mad Max movies. Yes, I'm late to the party.
Old 12.19.2016, 08:27 AM   #20260
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
She's fun in comics as a kind of Robin to the Joker's Batman, but I don't get the massive fan base for a character that started as an extra body in a freaking cartoon. I think she was fine in the movie, more or less, but an entire movie about her seems like a wretched idea. Ditto for the Harley and Ivy movie idea (that's what Sirens of Gotham is supposed to be, I guess, only there will probably be a ridiculous Catwoman too.

it's a low co de thing, you should expect a lot more of this, especially with the makeup, tongue action and short shorts. Pretty adolescent
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
5139139631003101010111012 1013 101410151016102310631113 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth