Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page So I was listening to Total Trash...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.18.2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Sleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud of
So I was listening to a mix-cd I made... the track listing of which I will include here...
1. Needle in the Camel's Eye - Brian Eno
2. Salt Fare, North Sea - Chumbawumba
3. Dead Flowers and Dirt - Ghost Mice (from whichever album "Ghost Paul and Baribeau Mice" is supposed to be)
4. In Concert - the Faint
5. Suggestion - Fugazi
6. Temptation - New Order
7. They Live by Night - The Make Up
8. 24 hour party people - Happy Mondays
9. Parades Go By - Magnetic Fields
10. Call Call - the Faint
11. I'm Just Going to Leave - Defiance Ohio
12. Punk Love - Magnetic Fields
13. Total Trash - Sonic Youth ------ This is the track I wish to discuss.
14. Do you Realize - a song by a band I can't remember the name of performed by the Flaming Lips and then remixed by the Postal Service (i'm a total lame ass btw)
15. Petty Problems - Defiance Ohio
16. Peking Spring - Mission of Burma
17. Figure 8 - Ghost Mice
18. Bulldog Front - Fugazi
19. Buck Hill - the Replacements
20. You Lose - the Replacements
21. Hayday - the Replacements
22. Bull in the Heather - Sonic Youth
23. This Are Flashes - Q and Not U ----- (my favorite song, by my favorite band, from my fav album of theirs "Different Damage")

Ok now that I've provided all the nerdy details, I'd like to add (the emo-core details) that I made this mix because I was upset at the fact that an unfortunate turn of management had caused me to quit a job I'd held completely loyally for slightly less than 3 years (as a handyman and coffee shop employee at a music venue in Vienna, VA). visit their web site at jamminjava.com! OH GOD THEY'RE LAME! I mean, not really, but I'm not about putting people out, and they've got this tool from new york cleaning house right now. It sucks. It's not fair, and I was upset. So I made this cd, and toked up. I mean, I'm not joking, I got blazed out of my skull, and I recomend this to anyone who finds they can't move forward (morally) at a job they've loved.

Thats when the freaky shit happened.

I guess the cdr, or the cd-burner (or both) were dirty when I made this mix, and there was a slow build up of white noise around track nine, that I didn't notice until track 13. Track 13 was, of course, Total Trash, by everyone's fav band Sonic Youth. The way that track responded to the white noise was shocking, especially when I realized that my speakers weren't broken and the noise had gotten to other tracks as well. Basically it sounded like any frequencies which weren't occupied by the music were eaten up by genuine white noise. I could hear the music perfectly, but the fuzzy static was also there. During the slower, less intense parts it merely sounded like it was "framed" by this noise, which was very strange let me tell you. When they picked up the pace, the static seemed to swirl a little, but not in an unexpected way, and it didn't bleed into the music at all until they got into one of their ominous, feedback drenched breakdown jam-things. (---- there are a number of these in this song, in fact they play the same phrases each time, just building in intensity, but the one I'm talking about is the giant one that eats up most of this track from about the 3:10 mark until about the 6:00 mark) During this segment the static behaved completely erratically, where before it had been a slow drone it seemed to latch onto the bands insanity and follow along, until the noise drops, and then it was pretty much gone after the "climax" of the jam. After the jam there is a period where the track gets a little quieter, and the static was almost completely gone, until the hook starts up again and thurston comes in on the mic saying "It Started to Talk" and that (and every other time he says that specific phrase) is the only time the static overwhelms any part of the recording, and it is only his voice, that is affected by this phenomenon.

Seeing as this song is (I assume) about the way they use feedback and laziness to make music, I was totally shocked (as I could be, as inebriated as I was) by what I percieved to be a purposeful tie in of white noise on my end of the commercial production (me put cd, in cd player, I fuck up, they win.) So is it yet another studio trick that had gone unnoticed by my ears until I complied and played the track through fucked up speakers?

Am I insane? I know I was stoned, but seriously. The rest of the cd, I discovered after that track, was totally fucked, and you can barely hear the static in the tracks preceding sonic youth. I really wanna know if they somehow mixed everything so that this would happen, or, or, or, I dunno.

Somehow I wouldn't put it past this band to include imperceptable recording techniques to make their songs sound totally insane when blasted through busted speakers, or some other situation that might produce this type of response...

Anyone got any info?
Sleek_Jeek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Sleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud of
P.S. If I contradict myself describing anything, please correct me, I'm stupid, and not fit to describe their flow, (or non-flow).
Old 04.19.2007, 01:16 AM   #3
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Try to rip the track from the cd and see if it's still like that (it probably will). If it is, then upload it.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2007, 08:48 AM   #4
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Schizophrenia is taking you home...
Old 04.19.2007, 09:29 AM   #5
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
uff.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2007, 06:49 PM   #6
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
crazy shit! Maybe i'll try playing the track on my upstairs speakers, they usually give off a healthy dose of white noise.

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2007, 10:12 PM   #7
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you for this!!! You will be rep'd, and I will listen to Total Trash now.
nomowish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2007, 06:56 AM   #8
mAraujo
little trouble girl

mAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Try to rip the track from the cd and see if it's still like that (it probably will). If it is, then upload it.
Yeah, it would be cool if you uploaded it.
mAraujo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2007, 02:30 PM   #9
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Where would I upload it?

Plus, did anyone's fucked up speakers respond the same way?
Old 04.25.2007, 06:54 PM   #10
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
you could use yousendit.com. email it to yourself and then paste the link they give you into a post.
Old 04.25.2007, 10:36 PM   #11
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I could ad white noise to it... Thanks to Buzzo I have this program that lets you do that...

I fucking love Ghost Mice.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2007, 06:46 PM   #12
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Well, finally, someone who's just as intelligent and paranoid as myself. Ever notice how a wonderful combination of these characteristics can make for some incredibly original theorizing? I would love to hear Sleek_Jeek's take on Roswell and the Kennedy assasination. Also, he really should check out R.W. Watkins' theory re. the concept behind A Thousand Leaves; he might even be able to extrapolate on it.

Burroughs and Bagge were right: We're merely the people who just found out the truth.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 01:14 AM   #13
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

If I knew anything about roswell, or the kennedy assasination, I could probably tell you why mike watt is in the stooges now, and I have no clue why mike watt is in the stooges. He'll prolly be in coffee and cigarettes 2 as well. With Dan Ak-royd.

I haven't listened to a thousand leaves yet. I'm sorta new to sonic youth, I bought daydream nation last spring and since then I've purchased bad moon rising, evol, sister, experimental jet set trash and no star, 100%, goo, and rather ripped. I find it all to be pretty ridiculous listening, sometimes I hate them, sometimes I love them, and it seems like the longer I listen to them the more I notice, and the more they evolve becasuse of it. But seriously, I started listening to them because I didn't have to pay any attention at all to enjoy it, at least as far as daydream nation is concerned...

So... are there any album-flavas I'm missing? So far I'm finding steve albini is right as far as them not really evolving any further after sister... (steve albini insists (according to michael azzerard's "our band could be your life") that they didn't really push their sound or style much further after their first three albums, and I'm finding this to be a little true).

Before I ever listened to them I read about them in that book, for some reason I've always been skeptical about them being sort of affected and posey... but I never really heard anything actually bad about them, (like wow, they even jammed with the '90's gen x suicide child, and they dig the voidoids.)

What am I missing people? I'm in love with the imagery, and the pose at this point, cuz its not so much a pose as a joke. All of their songs are like jokes to me. omfg what am I talking about?

I guess I'm talking about the goo album cover, and the white noise nonsense I mentioned... their like teen-freedom-beatpoet-wizards.
http://www.yousendit.com/download/WU...bWdrYUEwTVE9PQ
Old 04.28.2007, 01:16 AM   #14
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

I'm a retardz.

That link is the track I was talking about, I don't know if it worked out in favor of the noise though... It didn't sound as intense through these laptop speakers really. So... burn it and find your grandma's stereo.
Old 04.28.2007, 02:01 AM   #15
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Go smoke your pot somewhere else.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 06:53 PM   #16
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Seriously, I've been waiting for someone to say that. This place was too friendly till two seconds ago.

I guess its all hype anyway.
Baby.
Old 04.29.2007, 02:02 AM   #17
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleek_Jeek
Seriously, I've been waiting for someone to say that. This place was too friendly till two seconds ago.

I guess its all hype anyway.
Baby.
I was just kidding. One of my friends said that to my other friend. I found it quite funny. I guess it didn't translate well to the internet.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 10:44 AM   #18
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I was just kidding. One of my friends said that to my other friend. I found it quite funny. I guess it didn't translate well to the internet.

Thats a relief, I thought you were super-silly for a while.

Seriously though, I've posted the track, does everyone think I'm full of it? Has anyone played it through some low-output home stereo speakers at high volume?

I need to know!

Old 04.29.2007, 06:44 PM   #19
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, it could be another case of that mysterious EVP.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 06:53 PM   #20
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_mind
Hey, it could be another case of that mysterious EVP.

EXPLAIN!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth