Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page welll, how bout an ol, what bands you been into as of late:
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.23.2008, 06:49 AM   #41
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
My favorites are "Grapes from the Estate" and "Triste". But really, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Regarding the Blood Brothers: I don't see why so many people defend them, they honestly aren't that far removes from My Chemical Romance or something. And yes, I've heard everything the Blood Brothers have done, so you don't have to go, "WELL, BUY 'BURN PIANO ISLAND BURN' BULLEMIC RAINBOIWS VOMIT WHAT!" It sounds like a My Chemical Romance scene shit band who maybe listened to the VSS at some point in their life and was like "cool".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 06:51 AM   #42
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Also, bat, regarding the Ex:

I also think Sonic Youth and the Ex both come from some weird post-no wave genre, but I think SY dabbles more in pop and the Ex dabble more in punk.

"History it's what's happening" is my favorite, all those 1 minute straight-to-the-point songs. Amazing. My other favorite is "turn", which is diverse as fuck and has not a single bad song. "i can be a calculator so you can count on me i can be a carpet so you can walk all over me." Amazing.

Old 01.23.2008, 11:14 AM   #43
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Animal Collective
Panda Bear
Feist
Regina Spektor
Maps and Atlases
Old 01.23.2008, 12:00 PM   #44
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
over the last couple weeks...all i remember listening to is:

nirvana, sonic youth, crass, stooges, neon christ, ghoul detail, double negative, butthole surfers, black flag, hole (for some odd/rare reason), government warning, tippers gore....

ghoul detail are good!!
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 02:02 PM   #45
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i was gona say "history..." too, tumult is a very close second though.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 09:43 PM   #46
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
some stuff I've been listening to a lot for the past few weeks...
autistic daughters
derek bailey ("Standards")
bill laswell ("Invisible Design")
fred frith ("Gravity")
ryoji ikeda
metallica (first 4 albums)
psycho baba
shock city shockers vol. 1 and 2 (the ooioo remixes)
teeth of lions rule the divine
lamonte young ("Well-Tuned Piano")
tar babies
john zorn (filmworks series)
frodus
novo tono
alvarius b (and some sun city girls albums I downloaded that I didn't have)
f.y.p.
pita
autechre (can't wait for the new album!)
alva noto
the ex (funny you mentioned them, I have loved 'em for years but just recently pulled out some of their CD's again -- brilliant)
nobukazu takemaru ("sign", "scope", "animate", and split with zu are always on repeat)
neina
surf coasters
fatal flying guilloteens (early stuff, haven't heard the new one yet)
sloth love chunks
ogre you asshole
gang of four ("solid gold", my favorite...)
mac donald duck eclair
toshimarau nakamaru
oren ambarchi
the nebulas
zazen boys (can't wait for the new album!)
renaldo and the loaf
mx-80 sound (just got into them; i guess they were from around here... truely strange band)
u.s. saucer
harvey sid fisher
secret chiefs 3 (7 inches... can't wait for the new album! Fuck!)
cerberus shoal (the best band no one talks about here)
captain beefheart (honestly, I haven't went a week WITHOUT listening to Beefheart in 5 years, so...)

i recently got back into solid gold. it had been years since i sat down and listened to the record. the bass playing and of course andy gill's guitar is amazing on the record. i think the first two gang of four albums are perfect.

does anyone know if solid gold got remastered like entertainment!? i have the cd version that was released by henry rollins' old record label he shared with rick rubin and the sound isn't very good.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 09:49 PM   #47
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
The Blood Brothers aren't anything like My Chemical Romance. You wouldn't have made that comparison a few years ago.

I listened to the Blood Brothers the other day for the first time in ages, and I wasn't that moved. I used to love them back in the day though.
Old 01.23.2008, 10:05 PM   #48
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
The Blood Brothers aren't anything like My Chemical Romance. You wouldn't have made that comparison a few years ago.

I listened to the Blood Brothers the other day for the first time in ages, and I wasn't that moved. I used to love them back in the day though.

i used to really like this adultery is ripe. i even bought a colored vinyl version off skylab for a shitload of money (25 bucks). they sounded nothing like my chemical romance back then. i don't know about now since that's the last time i listened to them.

i've been listening to this for days and days now. this album got me out of a lot of depressed times back when i was 14. i still consider it the third best hardcore album ever (behind damaged and minor threat's two eps on one album record).
Old 01.23.2008, 10:20 PM   #49
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J

I used to think the blood brothers were pretty good. The whole idea just got old. The most tolerable band of a terrible genre.
Old 01.23.2008, 10:26 PM   #50
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
The only way the Blood Brothers fit into any genre would be classifying their fanbase.
Old 01.23.2008, 10:32 PM   #51
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

I suppose you're right. I try not to fuck with genres very much, though. They're just a waste of words. They do give all the emo kids a hard-on, though.
Old 01.23.2008, 10:43 PM   #52
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Man I'm listening to the Blood Brothers now and I think they're the shit. Though they broke up in 2007. They sound nothing like My Chemical Romance. They've got some really good technical guitar stuff, or fucked up guitar stuff, which ever you prefer.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 12:04 AM   #53
ScreamingSchool
little trouble girl

ScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's asses
I've been getting into classic indie rockers Unrest and also the Dead Boys a whole heck of alot lately.
ScreamingSchool is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 12:18 AM   #54
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
PiL
flaming lips
Old 01.24.2008, 05:59 AM   #55
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Serge Gainsbourg
Nick Drake (I nearly forgot how good he was)
The Grifters
SY (Evol shows)
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 12:56 PM   #56
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Roxy Music
Kate Bush
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 01:04 PM   #57
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I've been listening to this for two days straight

Old 01.24.2008, 02:57 PM   #58
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

When did I say My Chemical Romance and the Blood Brothers sounded the same? I said they aren't "too far removed", meaning they are both equally lame. Meaning that it's funny you should like Blood Brothers and not MCR when it's part of the same annoying fashioncore trendy ridiculous art-over-music aesthetic. Scene-friendly, ridiculous, annoying bullshit. And, yes, all the same types of people like both of those bands. Not that it matters, you can like what it's like, but it IS kind of embarassing.

Also.. Fucked-up guitar shit? Eh? What album are you listening to? Seriously, I've heard every song they've ever recorded, if you're talking about the last minute of "Cecilia and the Silhouette Salloon", yeah, sure, that part's kinda weird I guess (?!?!).

Almost every song follows this pattern.. a riff will happen and this will be a great part! No annoying vocals or anything! Then, the guitar will stop.. leaving just drum and bass playing.. the bassist actually rules, too bad you hardly ever hear him except in these parts.. then, the two idiots with the worst voices ever yell about stupid bullshit (they say "siamese gun" in about 11 of their songs), then a generic Yaphet Katto-wannabe riff (but with an overdubbed pinch harmonic part in the right speaker for 2 seconds -- WHOA!!!!!!!) and about 50 parts that are equally terrible.

What's interesting is that they create some pretty cool hooks (check out the "laaa laaa laaaaa" part in 'Every Breath is a Bomb' or the chorus of "God Bless You Bloodthristy Zepplins") but 90% of every song is lame and ridiculous. I don't hate them because of their shitty scene, I hate them because they're truely an awful band. The guitarist actually does come up with some cool riffs -- albeit not anything too interesting -- but you hear him less than any of the other members! "Adultery is Ripe" is an entertaining listen but everything else is beyond horrible, ESPECIALLY "Crimes".

Anyway, like I said, go listen to YAPHET fucking KOTTO. "The Killer Hides in the Government Blankets" is like the Blood Brothers done maturely: multi parts, interesting riffs, dual vocalists, etc.

Also, Norma, I "wouldn't have made that comparison a few years ago", eh? I first heard My Chemical Romance 5 1/2 years ago, around the same time I heard the Blood Brothers. Just sayin'.

Anyway, not trying to make an argument, if some of you people haven't heard anything like the Blood Brothers and they blow your mind, cool. I just personally find them to be one of the worst bands of all time. Might as well start breaking out the fucking Holy Molar records or something..

Old 01.24.2008, 04:41 PM   #59
uhler
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
When did I say My Chemical Romance and the Blood Brothers sounded the same? I said they aren't "too far removed", meaning they are both equally lame. Meaning that it's funny you should like Blood Brothers and not MCR when it's part of the same annoying fashioncore trendy ridiculous art-over-music aesthetic. Scene-friendly, ridiculous, annoying bullshit. And, yes, all the same types of people like both of those bands. Not that it matters, you can like what it's like, but it IS kind of embarassing.

Also.. Fucked-up guitar shit? Eh? What album are you listening to? Seriously, I've heard every song they've ever recorded, if you're talking about the last minute of "Cecilia and the Silhouette Salloon", yeah, sure, that part's kinda weird I guess (?!?!).

Almost every song follows this pattern.. a riff will happen and this will be a great part! No annoying vocals or anything! Then, the guitar will stop.. leaving just drum and bass playing.. the bassist actually rules, too bad you hardly ever hear him except in these parts.. then, the two idiots with the worst voices ever yell about stupid bullshit (they say "siamese gun" in about 11 of their songs), then a generic Yaphet Katto-wannabe riff (but with an overdubbed pinch harmonic part in the right speaker for 2 seconds -- WHOA!!!!!!!) and about 50 parts that are equally terrible.

What's interesting is that they create some pretty cool hooks (check out the "laaa laaa laaaaa" part in 'Every Breath is a Bomb' or the chorus of "God Bless You Bloodthristy Zepplins") but 90% of every song is lame and ridiculous. I don't hate them because of their shitty scene, I hate them because they're truely an awful band. The guitarist actually does come up with some cool riffs -- albeit not anything too interesting -- but you hear him less than any of the other members! "Adultery is Ripe" is an entertaining listen but everything else is beyond horrible, ESPECIALLY "Crimes".

Anyway, like I said, go listen to YAPHET fucking KOTTO. "The Killer Hides in the Government Blankets" is like the Blood Brothers done maturely: multi parts, interesting riffs, dual vocalists, etc.

Also, Norma, I "wouldn't have made that comparison a few years ago", eh? I first heard My Chemical Romance 5 1/2 years ago, around the same time I heard the Blood Brothers. Just sayin'.

Anyway, not trying to make an argument, if some of you people haven't heard anything like the Blood Brothers and they blow your mind, cool. I just personally find them to be one of the worst bands of all time. Might as well start breaking out the fucking Holy Molar records or something..

i used to love yaphet kotto but i kind of lost interest in them around the time i stopped listening to the blood brothers. that type screaming hardcore bands like yaphet kotto, crimson curse, reversal of man etc... get old after about a year of listening to them.

i actually bought holy molar's first 7 inch just because all the name dropping and it blew goats. big dicked goats that is.
Old 01.24.2008, 05:24 PM   #60
ChocolateJesus
bad moon rising

ChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's asses
This Week:

Neurosis & Jarboe
Firewater
Moonshake
Magic Dirt
Failure
Pelican
Mogwai (as always)
Foetus
The The
Fuck
ChocolateJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|