Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page First 5 albums you owned/listened to and how old you were at the time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.02.2008, 11:44 PM   #21
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not entirely sure. Lemme guess:

Queen's Greatest Hits was definitely my first album. I was a little boy at the time.

All my Bowie stuff was my siblings.

Not quite sure after that. I liked Weird Al when I was 12, but I think my little brother was the one who actually owned the albums.

I can't remember the exact order that I got stuff in, but some of the first stuff I got:
all the Nirvana albums
Led Zeppelin 2, 4, and the boxed set
The Who's Greatest Hits
The Doors Greatest Hits
The Beatles: The White Album, Abbey Road, and Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club
Pink Floyd: The Wall (my parents already had Dark Side)

Yeah. In high school I started on Classic Rock, then I dove into alternative/indie/punk using Nirvana as my reference point.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 02:43 AM   #22
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kina
I'm sure this has been done before but if anyone wants to join in please do!

OK I will start, this was a while back so I don't know if I've got them in the correct order but here goes from the first album that I actually remember the name of and listened to properly:

Nirvana, Bleach (I was either 10 or just turned 11, not sure!)

Def FX, Surge EP (11)

Sonic Youth, Dirty (11)

Sonic Youth, Goo (12)

(I'm only allowed 4 images apparently but I'm sure everyone knows what this looks like!)

Tumbleweed, Sundial EP (13)

TUMBLEWEED! Fuck yeah. haha. Good call.
Old 01.03.2008, 02:57 AM   #23
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
The first one I owned was Nevermind.

The second was The Sex Pistols

The third one I think this was in High School now was Britney Spears debut album.

The fourth one was Bikini Kill

And the last one was Dirty by Sonic Youth.

Old 01.03.2008, 03:24 AM   #24
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i wanna see the older crew on the board put theirs up if than can remember at all......... there was no indy cred to be had when i was 5 or so. these are ones i was allowed to by when i was a snapper of the whipper.....

elvis - a legendary performer volume 1

the bee gees - best of the bee gees

led zeppelin - led zeppelin 3

hank williams - the hits volume 1

neil diamond - sweet caroline
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 03:34 AM   #25
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
^ That's a pretty cool list.
Old 01.03.2008, 03:48 AM   #26
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I can say with certainty that my first two albums were Showaddywaddy's "Red Star" and "Greatest Hits", at the age of ten. After that the next ones I remember were Blondie's "Parallel Lines", "Plastic Letters" and "Eat To The Beat", which I guess were some time around the age of twelve or thirteen.

There was a BBC LP of ten episodes of The Magic Roundabout as well, around the age of six, but that's probably not that relevant to the context of the question.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 04:05 AM   #27
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
hole - live through this (age 11)
still one of my favorite albums.

nirvana - nevermind (age 11)
not one of my favorites...

rolling stones - tattoo you (i was reeeeally young, maybe 4 or 5)
this one is because of my mom, i'm not so enthralled with this one anymore either

sonic youth - daydream nation (age 11)
this is also partly because of my mom, but when i remember really starting to get into music i listened to this album a lot

sex pistols - nevermind the bollocks (age 11)
i remember i used to cut up all my shirts and i cut off all my hair and i thought i was the coolest thing to ever walk the earth. HA!

around the same time i was also like, REALLY into bikini kill and feminist "rationale" and politics...what a fucking joke! 11 year olds crack me up.
Old 01.03.2008, 05:10 AM   #28
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
To make it clear, the following ones are the ones that I bought for myself, not only heard. I had heard many albums before, since my brother had had a shitload of The Cure, Dead Can Dance, Kate Bush, Depeche Mode and the like.

1. 2 Unlimited - No Limit (10) - yes, it's true

2. Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses (13)

3. Radiohead - The Bends (15)

4. Radiohead - My Iron Lung (15)

5. Carter the Unstobbable Sex Machine - Straw Donkey (15)

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 06:00 AM   #29
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
1) Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River. (11) A mis-labeled Xmas present from my Dad to my Mum. My favourite track, unsurprisingly, was Bad Moon Rising

2) The Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - (13)The first album I bought with my own money

3) Alice Cooper - Schools Out (14)

4) T.Rex - Ride a White Swan (14)

5) David Bowie - Alladin Sane (15)

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 06:42 AM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
The first 5 I remember hearing:
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Suicidal Tendencies - Lights, Camera, Revolution
Candlebox - Candlebox
Warrant - [the one with Cherry Pie on it]
Misfits - Walk Among Us [casette]
Yep.

First 5 I bought?
Nirvana - In Utero
Metallica - Master of Puppets
KoRn - KoRn
Metallica - Black album
Misfits - Walk Among Us [cd]

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 06:53 AM   #31
Norma J
invito al cielo

First vinyl:
Guns 'n' Roses - You Could Be Mine 7"
Bob Dylan - Desire 12"
Inspector Gadget 12"
A cool 12" with hits on it from the earlu 90s or maybe even late 80s my mum bought me when I was little. It was awesome.

First Cassettes:
Kris Kross - Totally Krossed Out
Kris Kross - Da Bomb
Silverchair - Frogstomp
Michael Jackson - Dangerous

First CDs:
Silverchair - Freakshow
Jimi Hendrix - Woodstock
Jimi Hendrix - Live at Montreal
Bob Dylan - Best of

Among others. I was like from 8 to 14 years of age.
Old 01.03.2008, 07:54 AM   #32
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
When i was really young

B52's - Cosmic Thing
B52's - Good Stuff

When i was old enough to buy my own tapes or maybe cd's i bought Backstreet Boys everything, they were my favourite when i was 8 and 9.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 10:42 AM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Man, I am much older than many of you.

My first albums

Def leppard - On Through The Night
I was around 9 years old and my da took me and my brother to go buy some cassettes, our first music to choose for ourselves. I had heard def leppard on the MTV (photograph and rock of ages) and I wanted that but I got this instead. Being just 9 years old I did not get the right one. either way, I listened to this album endlessly, as only small children can enjoy an album. My brother got Twisted Sister STAY HUNGRY, which had a much cooler cover.

Def leppard - PYROMANIA
After a few weeks I went to the K marty (they used to sell vinyl records at K Mart, hell, they used to sell them EVERYWHERE) with my mom and got this album, which i would play endlessly on my dad's stereo. My favorite album for about three months until....

Quiet Riot - METAL HEALTH
Being a child of the MTV, I bought this around age 9 or 10, and it was fucking AWESOME. I loved this album so much. Quiet Riot were my favorite band for a few years. I liked the bombast!

Van Halen - 1984
In music class in 5th grade on fridays we could bring in records to listen to and a kid brought in his older bro's vinyl of this and we listened to a bit before the teacher decided it was too much for young kids, which of course made me want to go get it and absorb it and love it. I fucking wore this album out!!!!

Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
Another one my 5th grade music teacher would not play. I bought this and loved the satan stuff. LOVED the satan stuff and their crazy ass look.
Old 01.03.2008, 10:52 AM   #34
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
1 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - 14, 1969 - purchased in my town's Woolworth's for around 3 bucks.

2 The Beatles (White Album) - 14, 1969 - purchased while on Christmas vacation break visiting my grandparents, from the record section in Montgomery Wards for around 8 bucks. A numbered edition. Thick vinyl on Apple. We were on our way out of town, I had a little cash from my grandparents, and my parents needed to stop for something at the store. They weren't happy I was blowing all my cash in one place--for some reason, that's a problem for adults who grew up in the Depression.

3 Abbey Road
4 Let It Be
5 John Lennon Plastic Ono Band

Last three around this same time period (age 14-15)
Old 01.03.2008, 10:53 AM   #35
sarramkrop

The first rock record that I remember hearing since I was a 4 year old is Neil Young's 'After The Goldrush', to this day one my favourite records. My brothers and my sisters used to play me anything from Lou Reed to Donna Summer as a kid, so I got to know all of them by the time I was 10/11 (Patti Smith, Kraftwerk etc). The first record that I had bought myself was George Michael's 'A Different Corner', perhaps in an act of rebellion because that's one his worst singles. The first album that I bought myself was Terence Trent D'Arby's first album. The first record that turned me on to noisier stuff is JAMC's 'Psychocandy'.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 11:08 AM   #36
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know why...but as a kid I was never much of a rock fan. I mean I liked some songs here and there, but I didn't even own a rock album until I was about 13 or 14. Something about it turned me off. It didn't seem fun enough. I always liked pop music much, much more. Never went through a Nirvana phase. I'm kind of surprised by people's responses. I had expected a lot of Nirvana responses, but not this many.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 11:13 AM   #37
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
1) Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River. (11) A mis-labeled Xmas present from my Dad to my Mum. My favourite track, unsurprisingly, was Bad Moon Rising

Tombstone Shadow? Bro.

Oh, and the first piece of music I ever bought was:

Because I really liked the music video. The song itself is alright as well. I was about 9 or 10 when I got it. First album I ever bought was Gorillaz eponymous debut album.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 11:16 AM   #38
sarramkrop

It isn't that surprising if you think that this is mainly a rock forum, but yeah, it is a bit shocking that not many people listened to much pop music or even dance music. Even when I started buying my own Bowie records it was in his poppiest phase (i.e. 'Never Let Me Down').
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 11:18 AM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
sonic youth is the anti-pop.
most fans are just in that vein, where the pop is like listening to children's nursery rhymes.
Old 01.03.2008, 11:19 AM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

there's also a lot of younger fans here, and nirvana blew the door open for a lot of them.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth