Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Musical obscurity
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.17.2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
A few of Keeping it Aggro's posts made me think about this. Is it even possible to display a snobbish attitude in regard to the sort of music you listen to, when literally even previously unknown recordings of Russian soldiers singing are relatively easy for everyone to find on the internet? Do you think there is much left that can be really deemed as obscure?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 08:17 PM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think snobbery and obscurity are necessarily the same thing. There are just as many Classical music snobs as there are those that champion more relatively unknown music. Whether obscurity itself is in decline, I think it's the opposite. I remember a time when a band weren't even deemed to really exist unless they'd made it onto TV or a music paper. Now literally millions of bands appear to be existing obscurely on sites like myspace. It's probably possible now to listen solely to music that's never had a single 'official' release.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 08:30 PM   #3
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Do you think there is much left that can be really deemed as obscure?
Yes.
I got hundreds of records that can't be found on IN.
Most of them suck, but a few of them are good to me.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 08:31 PM   #4
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
to keeping it simple stupid everything is obscure.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 09:31 PM   #5
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno, the next incarnation of that phenomena will probably be that the person on here with the most posts is considered a sellout scumbag and anyone who posts once a year and never comes back is the epitome of undiscovered genius.
Its the mentality thats important, not the music, is what i mean.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 09:32 PM   #6
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
obscuri-what?
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 09:58 PM   #7
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
who cares?
Old 01.17.2010, 10:34 PM   #8
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I'm glad 2010 means most anything I could ever find myself wanting to listen to should be fairly accessible.
ann ashtray is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2010, 02:33 AM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't think snobbery and obscurity are necessarily the same thing. There are just as many Classical music snobs as there are those that champion more relatively unknown music. Whether obscurity itself is in decline, I think it's the opposite. I remember a time when a band weren't even deemed to really exist unless they'd made it onto TV or a music paper. Now literally millions of bands appear to be existing obscurely on sites like myspace. It's probably possible now to listen solely to music that's never had a single 'official' release.
It's true that there is still that classical music/everything else divide, as well as the mainstream/anything non-mainstream gap which is wider than it's ever been. Today, though, with your myspaces, mediafires, last fms, mp3 blogs etc, anyone with a passing interest in slightly more daring sounds has the chance of reading about it on a website, and can access the band's music straight away, so you can check for yourself if that mysterious band really is worth the praise. To make an example out of someone who posts on here, atsonicpark's band namedropping would dramatically decrease if it wasn't because of the internet. This is no criticism of atsonicpark, by the way.
Old 01.18.2010, 03:04 AM   #10
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I dunno, the next incarnation of that phenomena will probably be that the person on here with the most posts is considered a sellout scumbag and anyone who posts once a year and never comes back is the epitome of undiscovered genius.
Its the mentality thats important, not the music, is what i mean.
Good point. I don't think less or more posts determine how interesting what someone writes is necessarily. Sonic Youth themselves hardly ever post on their own forum, yet not everything they say on their interviews I find that brilliant.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth