Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Why aren't SYR6 + 8 released on vinyl?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.22.2011, 04:08 PM   #21
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't really thought about that SYR7 is not on CD...damn thats almost even as irritating.

We need to spank thurston, lee, kim and steve !
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2011, 04:30 PM   #22
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
maybe they just forgot in their old age?
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2011, 04:47 PM   #23
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, yeah they don't know what theyre doing anymore

Nah ,but I guess that they wanted to mess with people OR that they didnt want to split the track or something ; o
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2011, 09:29 PM   #24
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
SYR7 not on CD bugs me the most. It just makes no sense. They even released a digital version. So...

If the artist has left the listener in a perplexed state of mind, then the goal is achieved.

BTW, why so hung up on the medium? Should't we all be more concerned with the art?
Old 02.23.2011, 02:20 AM   #25
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
if i recall, 7 and 8 were released about 3 months apart? i recall thinking the format-specific nature of each release was intended to balance the other (in other words, when it was clear 8 would not have a vinyl release, they opted to make 7 vinyl only). i have no idea if that was actually the reasoning, and since 6 was CD only a few years earlier i'm guessing my theory holds no water... (note that 7 is also the only 2-track SYR, so it seems perfectly designed for vinyl - i imagine they started w/ the idea of "J'Accuse Ted Hughes" on the A side and then sought out a complimentary b-side, but again, i have no idea..)

i remember getting both of these in a package the last time i moved - i spent a day driving my shit back and forth from house to house on a hot summer day that was particularly tourist-heavy, listening to SYR8 on repeat. it almost kept me sane.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2011, 06:31 AM   #26
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
BTW, why so hung up on the medium? Should't we all be more concerned with the art?

beacause i dont have decks i can't listen to syr7

i could download it of course, but i'm anal and like having a cd
Old 02.23.2011, 08:27 AM   #27
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
i'm anal
hello.
Old 02.23.2011, 08:46 AM   #28
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
SYR7 not on CD bugs me the most. It just makes no sense. They even released a digital version. So...

If the artist has left the listener in a perplexed state of mind, then the goal is achieved.

how do you know that the goal was to perplex?

I am MORE concerned with the art. But I am also concerned with the medium. Mainly because I've bought every SY release on CD that was available since like 1999... also, I never listen to vinyl. I just don't have a convenient setup to do so.
Old 02.23.2011, 08:47 PM   #29
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I really have a hunch with my theory. Don't know why, just do. Some people like to create mystique. The same reason some types throw an media interview, just because. The world is sooo logical, artists by their place need to be the vehicles for mystery and irrationality.

When music collectors, and we have all seen them, just become obsessed with collecting and not the material, it is time for the artist to change their plan of attack.

Harbingers of irrational thought I'll tell ya. Isn't to be irrational the entire purpose of art?
Old 02.24.2011, 06:12 AM   #30
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
hello.

'sup
Old 02.24.2011, 08:40 AM   #31
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I really have a hunch with my theory. Don't know why, just do. Some people like to create mystique. The same reason some types throw an media interview, just because. The world is sooo logical, artists by their place need to be the vehicles for mystery and irrationality.

that's some impressive mystique.
Old 02.26.2011, 03:30 AM   #32
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
if i recall, 7 and 8 were released about 3 months apart? i recall thinking the format-specific nature of each release was intended to balance the other (in other words, when it was clear 8 would not have a vinyl release, they opted to make 7 vinyl only). i have no idea if that was actually the reasoning, and since 6 was CD only a few years earlier i'm guessing my theory holds no water... (note that 7 is also the only 2-track SYR, so it seems perfectly designed for vinyl - i imagine they started w/ the idea of "J'Accuse Ted Hughes" on the A side and then sought out a complimentary b-side, but again, i have no idea..)

i remember getting both of these in a package the last time i moved - i spent a day driving my shit back and forth from house to house on a hot summer day that was particularly tourist-heavy, listening to SYR8 on repeat. it almost kept me sane.

Maybe SYR7 only in vinyl is kind of "manifesto for vinyls". I have always thought SY members are also vinyl freaks. If I remember correct, geffen refused to release Sonic albums in vinyl after NYC ghosts, so Thurston put his own Goofinīlabel to release them in vinyl. And I think itīs one reason why they left geffen (not the only one).

It has been irritadet me a bit because nowdays people automatically think, the official release is always on cd. To me itīs still vinyl versions that I think itīs the "official" versions. Of course I have also cd:s, but if some album doesnīt come in vinyl, I very often donīt buy it immeaditely, I buy it maybe later and then itīs often also cheaper.

I think this nowdays "technical ecstasy" has gone too far. There was only one format about thirty years, cassette came in the seventies. Now in about twenty years has come cd, dvd, Mp3, Blue Ray. Of course itīs also good thing that technic goes forward, but nowdays I think itīs very big part of market economy and this things are made just big companies to make more money. And I think itīs no good because thereīs also nature and people of the develop countries suffering. So I donīt have every modern equipments, I have no dvd-player or even television and microwave nomdays.

Of course the format is in the end quite the same. I truly thinks in vinyl is better sounding, but if there is not coming vinyl versions from SYR6 and SYR8, my world doesnīt turn around.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth