Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page haha, Spike Lee is such a guttercunt
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.01.2008, 05:38 PM   #1
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
All Reuters Movie News
Spike Lee film angers Italy's surviving partisans
Wednesday October 1 12:46 PM ET

Film director Spike Lee has set off a storm in Italy with a movie about black American soldiers fighting alongside Italian partisans in World War Two.

Surviving members of the resistance to the Nazi occupation of Italy have taken issue with "Miracle at St. Anna" ahead of the film's Italian release on Friday, distributing protest flyers and accusing Lee of distorting history.

Lee has said he wanted to set the record straight about the role played by black U.S. soldiers in the war. The film is based on a novel by James McBride and focuses on the all-black 92nd Buffalo Division which helped liberate Italy in 1944-45.

At the heart of the dispute is the film's depiction of an infamous 1944 massacre in the Tuscan town of Sant'Anna di Stazzema, where Nazi troops rounded up and killed 560 civilians.

In the film, the massacre is portrayed as a response to the actions of resistance fighters, with one of them betraying the town and colluding with the Nazis -- a version of events that has angered surviving partisans.

Lee, who is in Italy promoting the film, has responded to the criticism in his characteristically feisty manner.

"I would not allow anybody to tell me how to make a film, be it a partisan or the president of the United States," Lee told a news conference in Florence on Wednesday after a preview screening, according to Italian media.

"This simply shows that in Italy the wound is still open. ... It is up to Italians to come to grips with their past, not up to me or James McBride or the film," he said.

Members of the ANPI association of resistance fighters were not amused.

"For Spike Lee the partisans who 'hit and then ran away' were responsible for the Sant'Anna di Stazzema massacre," ANPI said on its website.

"Before shooting his film, the director should have read the truth about that horrible slaughter," it said, posting a copy of the 2005 verdict of an Italian military tribunal which convicted 10 ex-Nazi officers for the murders.

(Reporting by Silvia Aloisi)

did he suck this much back in the early 90s? I havent seen 'Do The Right Thing', or Malcom X, though i was planning on it... but he comes off as such a racist, arrogant guttercunt that i don't think i want to bother watching his stupid movies

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
spike lee rules all.
how is he racist?

watch do the right thing. it is fucking funny and enraging.

so because the military tribunal trial laid blame on ten commanding officers that means that there was no collusion between some Italians and the nazis? shiiiit.

I bet the fuckers crying into their gelato over this did not even watch the film.
Old 10.02.2008, 05:22 PM   #3
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
spike lee rules all.
how is he racist?

watch do the right thing. it is fucking funny and enraging.

so because the military tribunal trial laid blame on ten commanding officers that means that there was no collusion between some Italians and the nazis? shiiiit.

I bet the fuckers crying into their gelato over this did not even watch the film.

racist because he always complains about how the black man is misinterpreted in films and never honored properly or some shit... then he goes and makes a whole country upset because he fucks up their history? i find it funny. and all of his bitching at clint eastwood was just so stupid... hasn't he seen Days of Glory? Denzel all up in that war film's ass. I will watch Do the Right Thing tho, and reserve ultimate judgement

Old 10.02.2008, 05:33 PM   #4
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
He just wants to set SOME of the record straight.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2008, 05:34 PM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
racist because he always complains about how the black man is misinterpreted in films and never honored properly or some shit...

it's not racist to tell the truth, son.

this is common knowledge.

maybe he's strident about it, but fuck it. someone needs to remind whitie! *chuckles*
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2008, 06:03 PM   #6
davenotdead
invito al cielo

of course. it is common knowledge... why does he have to be a prick about it?... most good movies were made before MLK made an impact anyhow

Old 10.02.2008, 06:05 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
of course. it is common knowledge... why does he have to be a prick about it?... most good movies were made before MLK made an impact anyhow

why is he a prick-- that's the way he does it.

chapelle does the same, more even, but he's funny as fuck.

the mlk reference--i don't get what you mean. maybe i just don't wanna know what you mean.
Old 10.02.2008, 06:09 PM   #8
davenotdead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
why is he a prick-- that's the way he does it.

chapelle does the same, more even, but he's funny as fuck.

the mlk reference--i don't get what you mean. maybe i just don't wanna know what you mean.

i mean most good war movies were made back in the day... during segregation, apartheid, etc...

chapelle is way different... he's in on the joke... i think Spike is just an idiot trying to stir up more "whoa is me, i'm black sentimentality" so that he can get an oscar or something...

Old 10.02.2008, 06:16 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
i mean most good war movies were made back in the day... during segregation, apartheid, etc...

so you wanna bring back apartheid to improve movies or what? you're not making any sense with that association. is "birth of a nation" you favorite movie?

Quote:
chapelle is way different... he's in on the joke... i think Spike is just an idiot trying to stir up more "whoa is me, i'm black sentimentality" so that he can get an oscar or something...

no, no, no. there is a history, which continues today, with misrepresenting minorities in the media. while i dont think spike lee speaks for all black people, much less all minorities, at least he's trying to do something different from the fucking stereotypes of the mainstream. chapelle is awesome because he makes fun of those stereotypes. but you want every black person to be the same & react the same way to their own history or what?

anyway, do the right thing is great. others are uneven. if you wanna see spike lee grappling with the question of media stereotypes go watch bamboozled.
Old 10.02.2008, 06:26 PM   #10
davenotdead
invito al cielo

Quote:
so you wanna bring back apartheid to improve movies or what? you're not making any sense with that association. is "birth of a nation" you favorite movie?

no... i mean, there is a reason why there is a lack of black soldiers in war movies... because most of them were made when black weren't often employed as actors.

i don't get his claims anyway...? Apocalypse Now is probably my favorite (and the best ever) war movie... i remember larry fishburne is in it, as are several other black guys

Old 10.02.2008, 06:37 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
i don't get his claims anyway...? A

read some books.

http://lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/AfricanAmBib.html
Old 10.02.2008, 06:55 PM   #12
davenotdead
invito al cielo

Quote:

can't you summarize? i don't care enough about Spike's whining to read those

Old 10.02.2008, 07:06 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
can't you summarize? i don't care enough about Spike's whining to read those

ha ha. watch bamboozled then. it's a bit "heavy", but eh.

i gotta go get ready for the debates.

ha ha ha i hope the world can see what an ass palin is.

--
ok short version: most americans get their vision of the world from tv/movies.

therefore, it matters, etc. etc.
Old 10.02.2008, 10:21 PM   #14
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Bamboozled was funny, and good.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2008, 10:30 PM   #15
davenotdead
invito al cielo

Quote:
ha ha. watch bamboozled then. it's a bit "heavy", but eh.

i gotta go get ready for the debates.

ha ha ha i hope the world can see what an ass palin is.

--
ok short version: most americans get their vision of the world from tv/movies.

therefore, it matters, etc. etc.

i agree with the bolded for sure... its why i'm going into media. ok, i see Spike's point now.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth