Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool: new album, out now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.24.2016, 12:56 PM   #221
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
And yeah....some of PJ's catalog can be considered Dad rock(especially everything released AFTER Riot Act), but I don't give a fuck. Brain of J will never be considered Dad rock.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 01:07 PM   #222
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
all rock is dad rock when you're a dad. and everyone in this thread is actin' like a big fuckin' dad no matter if they have kids or not. all the bands mentioned are old and noone young cares about them. rock is a gerontocracy like most other things. rock music will be looked back upon with the same enthusiasm we look at ancient boring folk songs. it's torture and you're all old and you know it. give up the ghost and do something responsible you fuckin' dadz.

radiohead are all dads or wannabe dads for mother gaia and thom yorke keeps getting up in the middle of the night to pee and thumb through his old copy of no logo from 1999 that's been sitting next to his medication cabinet gathering dust since he bought it. he is animated only by concerns for his lawn and the vague idea of doing something cool in a leather jacket on the bbc once but he can't remember what and is too embarrassed to ask his personal assistant in case it's a proto alzhiemic hallucination and not an actual memory.

johnathon grenwood the 3rd is only capable of mustering enthusiasm for buying new shirts in top shop which he's been doing for almost 30 years. it started as an attempt to look like thurston and signal that he was cooler than the standard alt guitar wank he really was but didn't realize that dressing like thurston is exactly what loser mainstream alts did because they didn't realize how mainstream thurston actually is. being all fey and experimental got him this far and shitty wes anderson movies will get him through another few years until the lanky fuck eventually disintegrates into plastic wire hangers in a box in top shop and everyone including the spouse and kids he may or may not have instantly forgets he ever exists.

the other guy got lost in b&q and ended up a member of staff there.

i think that's all the members of radiohead except matt bellamay. anyway, who even cares?

real dads do things like earn money and raise kids but you guys are just sad dadz and there was a whole simpons episode detailing what has become of you you fat jamaican narcs.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 01:08 PM   #223
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
ignore me i'm just trying to get severian to go another 20 pages to see what happens to his brain

edit

oh shit i hit 2k without realizin it. well this is as good a way to go out as any. bye y'all!
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 01:26 PM   #224
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
ignore me i'm just trying to get severian to go another 20 pages to see what happens to his brain

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 01:31 PM   #225
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost

Are Pixies Dad rock yet?
yes

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 02:15 PM   #226
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Man I saw Pixies live like 1 or 2 years ago and they SUCKED.. sucked sucked sucked.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 05:26 PM   #227
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
So, is Sonic Youth Dad Rock?

I don't know why I keep punishing myself by reading this thread.

Ha! I know right. it's like "im I still relevant, who am I, is margarine imitation, do black holes really exits, are cats feline"?
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 05:43 PM   #228
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
all rock is dad rock when you're a dad. and everyone in this thread is actin' like a big fuckin' dad no matter if they have kids or not. all the bands mentioned are old and noone young cares about them. rock is a gerontocracy like most other things. rock music will be looked back upon with the same enthusiasm we look at ancient boring folk songs. it's torture and you're all old and you know it. give up the ghost and do something responsible you fuckin' dadz.

radiohead are all dads or wannabe dads for mother gaia and thom yorke keeps getting up in the middle of the night to pee and thumb through his old copy of no logo from 1999 that's been sitting next to his medication cabinet gathering dust since he bought it. he is animated only by concerns for his lawn and the vague idea of doing something cool in a leather jacket on the bbc once but he can't remember what and is too embarrassed to ask his personal assistant in case it's a proto alzhiemic hallucination and not an actual memory.

johnathon grenwood the 3rd is only capable of mustering enthusiasm for buying new shirts in top shop which he's been doing for almost 30 years. it started as an attempt to look like thurston and signal that he was cooler than the standard alt guitar wank he really was but didn't realize that dressing like thurston is exactly what loser mainstream alts did because they didn't realize how mainstream thurston actually is. being all fey and experimental got him this far and shitty wes anderson movies will get him through another few years until the lanky fuck eventually disintegrates into plastic wire hangers in a box in top shop and everyone including the spouse and kids he may or may not have instantly forgets he ever exists.

the other guy got lost in b&q and ended up a member of staff there.

i think that's all the members of radiohead except matt bellamay. anyway, who even cares?

real dads do things like earn money and raise kids but you guys are just sad dadz and there was a whole simpons episode detailing what has become of you you fat jamaican narcs.

im on this guys side. this is far more unintentionally unfunny but true than it should be.

anything that's played on guitars is dad rock now. i lernt tdis in 2005. dead_battery did too, that's why he reads books only now and occasionally listens to post post post no-wave bands.
Old 05.24.2016, 05:59 PM   #229
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Sonic Youth can never be dad rock.

you so sure about that? the Stones played in slightly out-of-tune tunings through tube amps.

people still dig them. so it doesn't matter. goddamn!!, it's just music. someone will enjoy it. carry on, unless yr a popist.

who cares. I have an headache. black holes and stuff.
Old 05.24.2016, 07:14 PM   #230
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
And yeah....some of PJ's catalog can be considered Dad rock(especially everything released AFTER Riot Act), but I don't give a fuck. Brain of J will never be considered Dad rock.

Yeah, that's a great song and I always forget about it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 07:23 PM   #231
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
The term "dad rock" has nothing to do with fathers. It's just an analogy. "Dad rock" bands are like bands who've given up on being Dangerous or independent, and have totally given themselves over to comfort and stability.

... it's a bad rap for dads, really.

But make no mistake, "dad rock" is a real and horrible thing. It makes lives boring and predictable, because it is boring and predictable.

The music has to be boring, inoffensive and predictable in order to be "dad rock." Sonic Youth is not dad rock. Never can be, never will be.

The Pixies, like Pearl Jam, have allowed themselves to become dad rock, but there's no way in goddamn hell Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa or Doolittle could ever be considered boring and predictable and safe.

Remember Red Hot Chili Peppers circa "Scar Tissue"? Dad rock, baby. That's fucking dad. ass. rock.

We all know what we're talking about here. Let's stop fucking around and cut the shitshow.
Old 05.24.2016, 07:26 PM   #232
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
you so sure about that? the Stones played in slightly out-of-tune tunings through tube amps.

people still dig them. so it doesn't matter. goddamn!!, it's just music. someone will enjoy it. carry on, unless yr a popist.

who cares. I have an headache. black holes and stuff.

Yes I'm sure, and "slightly out of tune" does not equal "Sonic Youth tunings."
Old 05.24.2016, 07:34 PM   #233
pepper_green
Banned

^^ I agree. I was trying to be post post animal collective post modern.
Old 05.24.2016, 07:37 PM   #234
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
^^ I agree. I was trying to be post post animal collective post modern.

I want to meet you in person so bad. I want to see how you actually speak.
Old 05.24.2016, 07:53 PM   #235
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I want to meet you in person so bad. I want to see how you actually speak.

slightly good-looking, articulate but slurring.

one thing though. I have this OCD hipster thing so my socks are always miss matched and stink.
Old 05.24.2016, 08:03 PM   #236
pepper_green
Banned

hey man, free jazz is stacked shit. imagine if ancient Egyptian music was recorded? we be funking and doing the forward rogger rabbit or Snoop Dogg 'for the undanceable or uninitiated'...... until a time machine..... I guess we got the Yiddish funked afied boogaloo.

disco disco. funking until higher consciousness.

semi serious talkey: PJ became dad rock when they formed. the Pixies became dad rock after they dropped Kim and reformed yeeeaaars later.
Old 05.24.2016, 10:45 PM   #237
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
hey man, free jazz is stacked shit. imagine if ancient Egyptian music was recorded? we be funking and doing the forward rogger rabbit or Snoop Dogg 'for the undanceable or uninitiated'...... until a time machine..... I guess we got the Yiddish funked afied boogaloo.

disco disco. funking until higher consciousness.

semi serious talkey: PJ became dad rock when they formed. the Pixies became dad rock after they dropped Kim and reformed yeeeaaars later.

See now I feel like you're laying it on a little thick. But still, I have a strong urge to witness words coming out of your mouth. Call it a scientific interest. I have three theories about you, and I'd like to research them.

1. You're a totally normal guy who deliberately fucks with people.
2. You're a night drunk with a high IQ that's stunted by alcohol (which is how you present yourself)
3. You're a high functioning schizophrenic.

Part of me wants to know. Another part of me just wants to be along for the ride.
Old 05.25.2016, 03:59 AM   #238
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Top 10 Radioheads:

1. Kid Aphex Twin
2. Moon Safari
3. Fake plastic trees aka Pavement circa 92'
4. Mar E Smith was wrong about Pavement
5. Sonic Youth rip-off song
6. 20 Lambert and a bottle of white lightening daydreaming....nation please
7. Condescending orchestral crescendos FTW!
8. Flea
9. Ukip and Donald
10. Beck
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2016, 08:39 AM   #239
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
imagine if ancient Egyptian music was recorded?

But...but...I thought it was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeiFF0gvqcc
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2016, 08:39 AM   #240
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Top 10 Radioheads:

1. Kid Aphex Twin
2. Moon Safari
3. Fake plastic trees aka Pavement circa 92'
4. Mar E Smith was wrong about Pavement
5. Sonic Youth rip-off song
6. 20 Lambert and a bottle of white lightening daydreaming....nation please
7. Condescending orchestral crescendos FTW!
8. Flea
9. Ukip and Donald
10. Beck

Nice list.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
91011 12 131415 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth