Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lokerse Feesten, Belgium
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2008, 09:10 PM   #1
idiotic
empty page

idiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's assesidiotic kicks all y'all's asses
first post.. amazing show.. starting with Burning Spear.. loads of Daydream Nation next (Sprawl, Silver Rocket, Cross the Breeze, Erics Trip, The Wonder, Hyperstation.. hope someone fills in correct setlist), also Bull in the Heather, Drunken Butterfly.. encores were Shaking Hell and Teenage Riot.. huge Sunday banner in the crowd which seemed to impress especially Lee (who appeared tempted).. i think Thurston was wearing an Ultra Eczema t-shirt.. band in excellent form, great crowd response where i was standing.. hope a recording surfaces..
idiotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 09:36 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotic
i think Thurston was wearing an Ultra Eczema t-shirt..

Thanks, idiotic, for the fashion report!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 01:49 AM   #3
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for info!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 02:28 AM   #4
Kanamori Happy
little trouble girl

Kanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotic
huge Sunday banner in the crowd which seemed to impress especially Lee (who appeared tempted)..

Lee joked: "Is it Sunday?"

I was a bit disappointed with the set list. They played Daydream Nation at the Pukkelpop festival last year, so I had hoped they'd play more songs from other albums, perhaps even new songs.

Supergrass played a very good show with a good mix of new and old songs.
Old 08.06.2008, 05:26 AM   #5
e.if.ix
empty page

e.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's asses
jips a great show and a bit heavy on the daydream.
i got too carried away to keep a detailed set list. opener was burning spear, ender(?) was teenage riot.
in between, besides the daydream stuff, there were solid versions of shoot, jams run free, shaking hell, pink steam and more.
all in all, a great steaming set with mark ibold on second bass again (it felt really good to see him enjoying himself, esp, since i've always loved the pavement.)
kim wore a white dress with a black belty thing which she took off (the belt, not the dress) when things got really going. that was followed by the kim dancing routine (on jams run free), which was more like a kim jumping routine, with the dress going up higher and higher, nice (in a non-perverted kinda way)!
thurston seemed a bit calmer than usual, not climbing his amps and fewer thurston songs. maybe he didn't feel 100%.
lee was his old self, singing quite a few tunes (EDIT: not dirty boots obviously, sorry). i was standing right in front of lee, so it was a bit of lee gig for me.

a great show, which i enjoyed with my sonic-loving girlfriend by my side. what more can you want?

ps: i dind't bring my camera this time, so no video (see earlier post)
Old 08.06.2008, 07:08 AM   #6
ruben
empty page

ruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard sucka
Nice show, Allthough the bass was way too loud i thought.
pictures can be found herehttp://albums.pixagogo.com/5831484121:
ruben is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 07:46 AM   #7
logcabinrecluse
bad moon rising

logcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.if.ix
jips a great show and a bit heavy on the daydream.
i got too carried away to keep a detailed set list. opener was burning spear, ender(?) was teenage riot.
in between, besides the daydream stuff, there were solid versions of shoot, jams run free, shaking hell, pink steam and more.
all in all, a great steaming set with mark ibold on second bass again (it felt really good to see him enjoying himself, esp, since i've always loved the pavement.)
kim wore a white dress with a black belty thing which she took off (the belt, not the dress) when things got really going. that was followed by the kim dancing routine (on jams run free), which was more like a kim jumping routine, with the dress going up higher and higher, nice (in a non-perverted kinda way)!
thurston seemed a bit calmer than usual, not climbing his amps and fewer thurston songs. maybe he didn't feel 100%.
lee was his old self, singing quite a few tunes (eg. dirty boots). i was standing right in front of lee, so it was a bit of lee gig for me.

a great show, which i enjoyed with my sonic-loving girlfriend by my side. what more can you want?

ps: i dind't bring my camera this time, so no video (see earlier post)

shoot? dirty boots... w/ lee vocals? what?
Old 08.06.2008, 08:14 AM   #8
ruben
empty page

ruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard suckaruben cold hard sucka
He must mean Mote.
If anyone's interested, a snippet from Shaking Hell i recorded yesterday
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=rZCkkjET4EU
Old 08.06.2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Scars4Eyes
empty page

Scars4Eyes has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The Burning Spear
The Sprawl
'Cross The Breeze
The Wonder
Hyperstation
Eric's Trip
Bull in the Heather
Drunken Butterfly
Mote
Jams Run Free
Pink Steam
Silver Rocket
___
Shaking Hell
Teenage Riot (short)

I'm not sure about the order but I think that about covers the songs played. It was a great show even though at the beginning I also thought it was a little lame to fill out a non-Daydream Nation show with nothing but Daydream Nation songs. Afterwards they mixed it up a little more, and just when I thought they weren't going to play any Rather Ripped stuff, they played two songs from that album. Very good songs/versions that made me think I should give that record some more spins and maybe reappraise it. They had to cut it short in the encores so they could only play a shortened version of Teenage Riot. I would have loved a noise blowout ending, but at festivals you can't always get what you want.
Thurston seemed a bit subdued and wasn't very talkative (I believe his only comment was 'feel the pain' somewhere between two songs). It was the first SY show I ever saw where Lee functioned as the main spokesman for the band. The sound was pretty good too, if a little loud. I didn't mind that during the concert, but the ringing in my ears did grow a little tiring after a couple of hours. I would have loved them to have played Sunday.
Scars4Eyes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 03:08 PM   #10
defjamp
empty page

defjamp has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Great show, fantastic sound.
Although they played an odd setlist with so many Daydream Nation songs, they managed to slip in some interesting songs from the older albums. I don't recall having heard Mote live before, so I really enjoyed that one. Drunken Butterfly and Silver Rocket (which I thought appeared earlier on in the show) made a very big impression.

Thurston seemed indeed very 'absent' and isolated from the rest. I had also the impression that that resulted in very thight versions of their songs, not that many noise explosions or interaction with Lee. Lee was very present with good vocals and the apparent hesitation to give the fans what they demanded ('Sunday'). And Kim... two words: cool & fresh.

A very good show after last years fantastic interpretation of Daydream Nation at Pukkelpop.
defjamp is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 06:13 PM   #11
sToon
empty page

sToon has much to be proud ofsToon has much to be proud ofsToon has much to be proud ofsToon has much to be proud ofsToon has much to be proud ofsToon has much to be proud ofsToon has much to be proud ofsToon has much to be proud ofsToon has much to be proud of
Nice show indeed! Maybe slightly disappointed in the somewhat sloppy beginning, the too much DDN oriented set list and Thurston’s apparent bad mood (?) but these are only a few remarks on an otherwise very enjoyable show. I especially enjoyed Burning Spear (first time I saw that one live !), too bad the Sunday request didn't make it ! (I was thinking 'bout making a Chapel Hill banner myself, but I guess these things never work...) I could be wrong, but dit Kim miss some lyrics on 'cross the breeze? Posted set list seems ok, only Silver Rocket was earlier (before Mote I think...?)
sToon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2008, 07:28 AM   #12
ruben
empty page

Don't know if the sonic mustang thing is still updated, but this is the correct setlist.

Burning Spear
The Sprawl
Cross The Breeze
The Wonder
Hyperstation
Eric's Trip
Bull in the heather
silver Rocket
Drunken butterfly
Mote
Jams
Pink Steam
--------------------
Shaking Hell
Teenage Riot
Old 08.10.2008, 07:32 AM   #13
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
wow, so many unknown posters here

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2008, 09:16 AM   #14
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I had a blast and I was so happy that they played Mote. The sound was pretty horrible though, Lee and Thurston had radio signals in there pedals.

Afterwards I got their autographs, woohoo!
Old 08.12.2008, 09:45 PM   #15
Kanamori Happy
little trouble girl

Kanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
Afterwards I got their autographs, woohoo!

Is there a story to tell about how you got their autographs? What kind of a mood was Thurston in?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth