Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.21.2018, 06:46 PM   #10401
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
the subscription business for the world cup is already in effect here in ‘murka, but let’s face it, this is not a footballling nation (unless you count the hand-ovoid of the same name).

fox and telemundo are mostly OTA, but this being a massive rural cuntry there is OTA signal only in urban markets, and even there the signal is often shit, even in flat places (hello albuquerque). many repeating stations have been eliminated: e.g, in my boonies, you could watch with antenna 40 years ago but today you need a satellite dish or you’re shit out of luck. the internet is coming to the rescue but not quite there.

result is most people are on cable or satellite tv (same diff, all “cable” to me). and so to watch you need cable, or a cable login for the apps. plus, not all games are on the main OTA station but they’re on their cable-only sports branches.

this past summer telemundo teased for 2 free weeks of world cup before switching to a subscription-only model with little advance notice. univision was fully free 4 years ago, the whole thing. fuck telesucio.

funny thing is this past summer i had a cable login which offered fox but did not include telecaca. which is how i ended up having to put up with aly wagner’s terrible voice modulation the final 2 weeks. telesucio lost their chance to advertise to me i guess. some of those commercials were actually funny! and i’m still trying to find out the lady who sings the kia soul song about, oh, not rushing or something.

as for england: i do believe you should have a human right to behold national events on a publicly accessible signal. especially since you pay a “tv tax” which should purchase you some fundamental rights. match of the day or whatever. world cup yes.

they neoliberal state however demands that you get rich OR ELSE. which should be fine as long as they can pretty much guarantee it. here in the US even food stamps recipients have cable. lol im serious.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2018, 06:49 AM   #10402
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It got buried under all the WC stuff but any thoughts on Ronaldo's move to Juventus?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2018, 07:27 AM   #10403
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It got buried under all the WC stuff but any thoughts on Ronaldo's move to Juventus?
they wanna win the champions league and will keep him in cold storage for that?
Old 07.22.2018, 09:37 AM   #10404
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...oreUserAgent=1

OK the strike was a flop. But it is still strange that the Fiat employees are layed off on the one hand due to budget cuts and on the other end they do have the money to pay 100+ million for one footballer

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2018, 11:55 AM   #10405
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...oreUserAgent=1

OK the strike was a flop. But it is still strange that the Fiat employees are layed off on the one hand due to budget cuts and on the other end they do have the money to pay 100+ million for one footballer
lmao 5 people showed up

good stuff

the money is good considering neymar cost double and he’s a fucking clown

the money juve will make selling shirts alone should probably make up for the expense, ha ha ha
Old 07.22.2018, 03:01 PM   #10406
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Once you relate football finances to the real world it inevitably becomes indefensible. I'll be surprised if Juve recuperate the money spent on Ronaldo (especially if you factor in his 30m a year wages).
You can't really compare the price for Ronaldo to that of Neymar. Love him or hate him, Neymar is only now starting to hit his peak whereas Ronaldo probably has 2-3 more years at that level and is already reducing his role on the pitch to compensate for his age. But the fact is, 100m doesn't buy you a world class forward with long term prospects these days.

Either way, for me it makes Juve look a bit like an MLS side, buying into the past rather than looking to the future.
Old 07.22.2018, 06:24 PM   #10407
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah the wear of old age is why i think they will reserve him for champions games or something.

if he can pull a hat trick against a major side once a month juve could win it all.

it’s not like they have a problems beating the rest of italy. it’s the same as bayern, where europe is the only real challenge left to them.

so my thought is ronaldo is there for that specific purpose.

then again maybe they want him to play against sampdoria on a regular weekend...

...naaaaaah.

oh and now napoli lost their coach to chelsea right?

there went the last threat
Old 07.22.2018, 09:39 PM   #10408
demonrail666
invito al cielo

On those wqges, I'd not only be expecting him to play every week but clean the kit, drive the team bus, mow the grass on the pitch and do my Christmas shopping for me.
Old 07.22.2018, 11:07 PM   #10409
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
On those wqges, I'd not only be expecting him to play every week but clean the kit, drive the team bus, mow the grass on the pitch and do my Christmas shopping for me.

he’s worth more than a hollywood movie. he’s more popular than jesus, ha ha ha.

here’s a random observation to illustrate

i play this cellphone game, clash of clans. it’s a bit old but it’s got like 100 million online players from all over the planet—china, korea, bangladesh, iran (it was banned in iran, people still play it), all of europe (i play w/ a bunch w/ english dudes from bristol), a lot of africa, the americas, kiwis and aussies etc etc etc. everywhere. some clans (you play in “clans”) are national some are global etc.

it’s played in every country in the world

and i cannot tell you how many fucking players in that game call themselves CR7

from every fucking country. no joke.

chinese cr7, iranian cr7, arab cr7... even indian and pakistani cr7s even though they are more into cricket it seems. cr7 is *everywhere*

it’s a celebrity cult

a global brand

the cash potential is immense

you don’t see a lot of neymars though ha ha ha (well there are a lot just not as many as cr7)

cr7 and messi... you see them everywhere. but way more cr7s. fact.

(also: i particularly enjoy beating cr7s haaa haa haaa)
Old 07.23.2018, 12:03 AM   #10410
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

haaaaa haaaa oh... just found this

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/18/juve...t-one-day.html

he put $6-9 mil in juve’s coffers in 24h? lol

here a more serious, 30% increased profits projected for juve

https://en.as.com/en/2018/07/17/foot...94_172879.html

share prices also saw an increase
Old 07.24.2018, 01:59 PM   #10411
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

im catching up on unread emails from vacation.

got this lil’ excerpt from the economist on july 19 (hilarious)

—-

Many football-mad Haitians have adopted Brazil as their team. On July 6th, as the Brazilians played Belgium, the Haitian government quietly raised fuel prices by around 40%. A Brazilian victory might have left Haitians too ecstatic to protest. But Brazil lost and Port-au-Prince burst into flames. Three people died. Jack Guy Lafontant, the prime minister, reversed the policy, but could not save his job. He resigned on Saturday. The policy is sound, but the government botched its pitch

—-
Old 07.25.2018, 06:09 AM   #10412
demonrail666
invito al cielo

If there's even a shred of truth to the rumour that Inter are looking to trigger Messi's €700m (that's right, €700m or £622m or $818m) release clause, football has truly, 100% fallen off the cliff.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...is-real-madrid

https://www.serpentsofmadonnina.com/...ventus-ronaldo

I can't honestly see it happening but it got me thinking: if Messi does ever leave Barca (although with a 700m release clause I'm not sure how he ever could), I'd love it to be for PSG, just to see Neymar's reaction.

Old 07.25.2018, 06:26 AM   #10413
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
No way he'd go surely? Even if Barcelona we're offered that o can't see them accepting it. And whilst Milan may be flush ATM, they're not €700 million flush?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2018, 07:17 AM   #10414
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Given no club even comes close to making 700m in annual revenue, I'd have thought FFP would make it a non starter.

But it would be interesting if Ronaldo and Messi both moved to Serie A to see if the media loses interest in Spain and starts concentrating on Italy instead, and the impact that could have on clubs like Real and Barca.
Old 07.28.2018, 04:30 AM   #10415
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
If Man Utd buy Maguire for £80 million the game is gone. Well more gone. Super gone. Absolute joke. And that' not even considering the money Everton have spunked the past couple of seasons.

Old 07.28.2018, 05:53 AM   #10416
demonrail666
invito al cielo

80m on Maguire?!?! It's like they've based his value solely on a couple of WC games. He's a good player but probably worth about half that. And that's pushing it.

It's telling that 99% of these insane transfers prices involve Prem teams, which is increasingly creating its own financial bubble. Interesting that none of the big Spanish or Italian, etc clubs are spending that kind of money on those kinds of players.
Old 07.28.2018, 07:28 AM   #10417
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Agreed. The fact that's alright players going for silly money is the worst thing. Same with the rumours of Zaha going for £70 million. It's not even relating to anything now. They're just daft numbers.

Old 07.28.2018, 08:59 AM   #10418
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I can handle the crazy prices going for the very top tier players just because they really are exceptional talents, but the money (and especially wages) for these other players drives me mad. I mean Andy Carroll gets 90k a week at West Ham and isn't even 1st choice on those rare occasions when he's fit. That's obscene.
Old 07.28.2018, 12:15 PM   #10419
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

so tell me who are your enemies so i can support them and make this interesting ha ha ha ha

liverpool against h8kurdt! it helps that i like klopp and his bundesliga imports... was bound to happen regardless

what team is west ham’s nemesis? arsenal? someone else?

man, so many good teams to choose from. who gives a good spectacle, besides the obnoxious pep? (pep can make teams fly... but i hate him ha ha ha). so i gotta be for man u over man city? are mourinho’s teams dull?

gimme some prem pointers...

who are the heroes? and who are the villains, besides that russian dictator who owns west ham?
Old 07.28.2018, 12:54 PM   #10420
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so tell me who are your enemies so i can support them and make this interesting ha ha ha ha

liverpool against h8kurdt! it helps that i like klopp and his bundesliga imports... was bound to happen regardless

*spits on ground* looks like we have a wanna-be hero around here, boys...

Quote:
man, so many good teams to choose from. who gives a good spectacle, besides the obnoxious pep? (pep can make teams fly... but i hate him ha ha ha). so i gotta be for man u over man city? are mourinho’s teams dull?

gimme some prem pointers...

who are the heroes? and who are the villains, besides that russian dictator who owns west ham?

Well Mourinho is starting to look like a man being left behind. Like Wenger did. Still good manager, but don't seem to have that extra push to win the league or a champions league anymore. Sad to see tbh.

Personal heroes-always had a soft spot for Crystal Palace. Mainly cos their fans are ace
Villains-Liverpool. No one likes Liverpool.

Things I'm looking forward to seeing this season

-How Sarri does with Chelsea given how Abramovich seems to no longer want to spend big on them. Watched Napoli a bit last season and they were great to watch.
-How Wolves do now they've been promoted. Can they do it on the big stage?
-Don't think Spurs have bought anyone yet and you gotta keep moving in football. Like a shark. Could see them struggling for a champions league place this season.

2 more weeks!

421471511518519520 521 522523524531571621 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth