Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Stephen Malkmus!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.27.2006, 08:40 AM   #21
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
wrong... and wrong...
I agree with the first 'wrong', but cannot confirm nor deny the second.
Old 07.27.2006, 08:54 AM   #22
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I agree with the first 'wrong', but cannot confirm nor deny the second.
then just trust me on it
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 09:47 AM   #23
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
S+E is fairly hi-fi (though not compared to, say, Nevermind, recorded at the same time), but if you want the really lo-fi stuff, go to "Slay Tracks". You could say Sebadoh or some such was lower fi, but they didn't do nearly as much with the limited means as those early Pavement EPs.
Lipslikewindows is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 06:29 PM   #24
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
maybe... but surely in somebody elses eyes they could see Malkmus as a god, i for one do, as i do Trent Reznor - now i realise that not everyone will see Reznor as a god-like musician but i do. Ok so Morrisson, Bowie, Hendrix, Lennon all wrote good music that stood the test of time and i'm guessing that you kingcoffee are a big Flaming Lips fan due to the fact you have included them in your list there, i dont share this opinion, and i think Hendrix was just a waster that choked on his own vomit.

so i supposed it all comes down to personal opinion on who actually qualifies as "god-like" and who is just standing the test of time.

Flaming Lips may not be super popular, but they are damn talented musicians! I consider them "gods" in a certain sense. I guess "demi gods" would be more fitting. Hendrix was amazing. If you can't see his talent and genius, then I pity you. He was more than a drug addict who choked on his own vomit (very tragic). He was a transcendant guitar god!!!!! Few people have ever come close to the inventive and radically different approach to the guitar as Jimi Hendrix did. He reinvented guitar music.

Also, Trent Reznor is not a rock "god", either. Kurt Cobain would be much more fitted for that status than Reznor would be. NiN had some good material, but were one of the most overrated bands of the 90's. He had one really good album and one so-so album, and after that, it was all down hill. He was a flash in the pan artist who's popularity lasted far too long. Reznor hasn't released anytrhing of note in 12 years. That's not a "god", that's a wash up.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2006, 03:46 AM   #25
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Flaming Lips may not be super popular, but they are damn talented musicians! I consider them "gods" in a certain sense. I guess "demi gods" would be more fitting. Hendrix was amazing. If you can't see his talent and genius, then I pity you. He was more than a drug addict who choked on his own vomit (very tragic). He was a transcendant guitar god!!!!! Few people have ever come close to the inventive and radically different approach to the guitar as Jimi Hendrix did. He reinvented guitar music.

Also, Trent Reznor is not a rock "god", either. Kurt Cobain would be much more fitted for that status than Reznor would be. NiN had some good material, but were one of the most overrated bands of the 90's. He had one really good album and one so-so album, and after that, it was all down hill. He was a flash in the pan artist who's popularity lasted far too long. Reznor hasn't released anytrhing of note in 12 years. That's not a "god", that's a wash up.

Hendrix was good and all, dont get me wrong i understand 100% his relavance and talent but i really dont give a fuck about it.. why? cuz i dont like Jimi Hendrix or any of his albums or songs or anything. this i hold for others too, i.e. Bob Marley, John Lennon, Dinosaur Jr and tons tons more - all for which i would be placed in front of a firing squad and shot a million times for, i understand all the good these people have done for music but i dont like them or there music and i gradually start to not give a crap.
if we all liked the same music how boring the world would be.
Old 07.28.2006, 03:48 AM   #26
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
is he the one touring with the youth on bass?
Old 07.28.2006, 04:15 AM   #27
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
is he the one touring with the youth on bass?

Mark Ibold the bass player from Pavement is touring with the Yoof.
Malkmus is the singer.
Old 07.28.2006, 08:49 AM   #28
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
then just trust me on it
I checked Preston School of Industry out, and they are pretty good. I liked them.
Old 04.03.2009, 08:51 AM   #29
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
I'll be damned if i don't admit that the four Solo Malkmus are REALLY good.
I had totally discarded (as in did not even care to listen to them) them , having been so disappointed with Pavement splitting.
But it's doing me the same early frank Black thing. As in this stuff is different to what they did with their previous band but it's damn good. I 'm even really enjoying the last one that is a tad over the top with arrangements and production but hey wow.
Old 04.03.2009, 08:59 AM   #30
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic kid 51306
malkmus is a god!

Then call me an atheist.

What bothers me about Malkmus is that he has never written a lyric that matters in the least. A few might be funny or decribe an unusual image, but overall, he clearly has NOTHING to say to the world. I suspect he's an incredibly shallow person.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2009, 09:17 AM   #31
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Then call me an atheist.

What bothers me about Malkmus is that he has never written a lyric that matters in the least. A few might be funny or decribe an unusual image, but overall, he clearly has NOTHING to say to the world. I suspect he's an incredibly shallow person.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. I mean this in the politest way possible: I guess you just don't "get" his lyrics?
Old 04.03.2009, 09:18 AM   #32
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
This song "We can't help you" on the last Lp is amazingly peaceful. Love that.
Old 04.03.2009, 09:26 AM   #33
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I'm not even sure how to respond to this. I mean this in the politest way possible: I guess you just don't "get" his lyrics?

I guess lyrics have to mean something to him/her. That's fine, very conventional, but half the time the Beatles were thinking about words that merely rhymed. Malkmus uses the stream of conciousness word association thing. It breaks through the mental block of having to tell a proper story before writing the melodies et. I think it's great being a musician myself. You know how hard to write a set of lyrics that actually mean something *other than the usual cliches..??

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2009, 09:41 AM   #34
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechex
Malkmus uses the stream of conciousness word association thing. It breaks through the mental block of having to tell a proper story before writing the melodies
true + very well said.
Old 04.03.2009, 09:46 AM   #35
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
What bothered me was the statement "he has never written a lyric that matters in the least." I mean, if you want to write off say some of the weirder lyrics ("one of us is a cigar stand...") as being too much "unusual imagery" that's one thing. But off the top of my head I can think of a lot of Pavemenet/Malkmus lyrics ("Spit On A Stranger," "Major Leagues," "Grounded," the bulk of his self-titled LP, -- again just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could make a much longer list if I tried) that I think are pretty straight forward lyrics. Jeez, "Jenny & The Ess-Dog" is straight up story-song. So. Whatever.
Old 04.03.2009, 09:56 AM   #36
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
^^ Very true, being a muscian or being able to play/sing music really does give ya a different perspective on these matters.
I can understand people disliking his style/lyrics, but to draw the conclusion that he's incredibly shallow is probs a lil' shallow in itself.
I've never been a big lyrics lover anyway, I don't find many, if any songs words to be deeply meaningful.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2009, 10:05 AM   #37
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_mind
^^ Very true, being a muscian or being able to play/sing music really does give ya a different perspective on these matters.
I can understand people disliking his style/lyrics, but to draw the conclusion that he's incredibly shallow is probs a lil' shallow in itself.
I've never been a big lyrics lover anyway, I don't find many, if any songs words to be deeply meaningful.

(thanks greedrex) yeah, sometimes i just pick out a key phrase and then start interpreting for myself what the lyrics mean. I think there only a handful of real songwriters lyrically out there that write with true meaning. Morrissey tells pretty much the same depressing story but has infinite ways to relay it. Most of the time lyrics don't mean much if you asked the author, that's why alot of them shy away from that question.

Old 04.03.2009, 10:18 AM   #38
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Malk's lyrics are a lot more like a Rimbaud poem than a "Hey Joe". That's all. There's plenty of meaning, if you take a few moments to explore it. So yeah, I agree that writing it off as meaning nothing is in fact shallow.
Old 04.03.2009, 10:37 AM   #39
ricechex
the destroyed room

It's funny how there's usually pages and pages of debate when people slag,critique,Pavement or the Fall.

Old 04.03.2009, 10:39 AM   #40
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
That's why I feel like I should like The Fall more than I do.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth