Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Recommend some Coltrane...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2007, 05:27 PM   #21
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Coltrane lives on in the playing of Evan Parker.
He plays in London all the time. Funny how none of the London boardies like porkstuftd have ever mentioned Evan Parker before.
Instead they go on & on about fashion-plate bands & complain that Sonic Youth aren't cutting edge anymore in the meanwhile.

Thurston released "The Promise" with Evan Parker on saxes & Walter Prati on bass in 1999.

I just shared a recording from February this year with E. Parker playing with Paal Nilssen-Love's Quartet from FM broadcast in Stockholm.

The Bad Plus have been getting raves for their new one, "Prog" but it's just so-so even though that band is technically pretty good. Mostly, everyone seems to flip for the accurate "Tom Sawyer" cover.

You know, I watched a Glen Campbell concert from 2004 the other night and the man's gotta be over seventy. He still plays guitar great...
he was scaling along with this blue Strat

...and, of course, he sings his songs, (you know, real songs) wonderfully. But ah, how shall I put this? It was most disconcerting to also think of porkpounder and his posts about how he would love to lick Glen Campbell's hairy asshole. But what can you do? Some people have mental problems.

www.simpsonsmovie.com has a new create-yr-own Simpsons character feature patterned after the SP one.

You bored-ies could start a thread and have some laughs with it and maybe
!@#$%!'s blood will boil. He's that guy that loathes The Simpsons and has only seen his "favorite" movie (La Dolce Vita) ten times, and asks others (specifically demonrail666...why didn't they just PM? Oh, that's right, they were trying to impress you the reader) what to make of it because he has "homework" he's having trouble completing. But hey, every other person here is a copycat, so it's good times in the pigsty, I suppose. And demonrail666, he posted recently that he only listens to Sonic Youth once a year! Yet he's at the Sonic Youth messageboard. Something is not computing there.
Me, I always had to more-or-less make time to ever post here and it's something I will never be doing again. Sure, like most, I also came here to kill time at times too, but more often than not, I was going out of my way.

Anyway, I'm listening to the new Bad Brains that comes out officially tomorrow. It's their best since I Against I and easily one of the best new releases this year. I've been getting into reggae a good bit lately and listening to a lot of live Peter Tosh and Bob Marley and The Wailers, so this new Bad Brains came along at just the right time for me.
The Police's new tour sounds slightly off on two (Phoenix & Vegas) of the most recent recordings I downloaded, but the concert from Oakland is on-beat mostly. The new tour can't compare to the intensity they regularly mustered back in the day, but it's still very solid stuff and they perform the songs slightly different every night. Anyway, it buries whatever most listen to and The Police might just be the new best live band in the world. And hey, it's only three guys.

I came across something that made me think of this board and the people here that like to pretend that they are musicians:
Legion Of Rock Stars

WFMU points us to Legion Of Rock Stars, for which the rules are simple:
  1. A bunch of people put on noise-canceling headphones
  2. They all listen to the same song and play along
  3. The results are recorded and set to the original music video
  4. Hilarity ensues
Take, for example, the Stones' "Hang Fire"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptCwtbgIp8I&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Estereo gum%2Ecom%2Farchives%2Fvideo%2Flegion%2Dof%2Drock% 2Dstars%2Ehtml

Please resist any urge to quote this post and comment as I will not be replying to any rebuttal taunts.

---
The best of John Coltrane:

1 My Favorite Things (Atlantic, 1960)
2 Giant Steps (Atlantic, 1960)
3 Africa/Brass (Impulse!, 1961)
4 Coltrane (Impulse! 1962)
5 Lush Life (Prestige, 1960)
6 A Love Supreme (Impulse!, 1964)
7 Crescent (Impulse!, 1964)
8 Coltrane (aka First Trane) (Prestige, 1957)
9 Live at Birdland (Impulse!, 1963)
10 Blue Train/Soultrane (Prestige, 1957 & 1958)

Honorable mention:
(not specifically a Coltrane album, but The Avant-Garde was recorded by
Coltane, Cherry, Charlie Haden, Percy Heath and Ed Blackwell in 1960, and finally released by Atlantic in 1966.)

----------------------

The best of the later 'Trane:
(some of these were recorded years before being released)

1 Living Space (Impulse!, 1967)
2 Ascension (Impulse!, 1965)
3 Live in Japan (Impulse!, 1966)
4 Live at the Village Vanguard Again! (Impulse!, 1967)
5 Meditations (Impulse!, 1965)
6 New Thing at Newport (Impulse!, 1965)
7 Live in Seattle (Impulse!, 1965)
8 Sun Ship (Impulse!, 1971) (originally from 1965)
9 Interstellar Space (Impulse!, 1974)
10 Stellar Regions (Impulse!, 1974)

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 05:30 PM   #22
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I bet you said all that out loud as you wrote it, without pausing for breath.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 05:54 PM   #23
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
He plays in London all the time. Funny how none of the London boardies like porkstuftd have ever mentioned Evan Parker before.
Instead they go on & on about fashion-plate bands & complain that Sonic Youth aren't cutting edge anymore in the meanwhile.

Thurston released "The Promise" with Evan Parker on saxes & Walter Prati on bass in 1999.

I just shared a recording from February this year with E. Parker playing with Paal Nilssen-Love's Quartet from FM broadcast in Stockholm.

The Bad Plus have been getting raves for their new one, "Prog" but it's just so-so even though that band is technically pretty good. Mostly, everyone seems to flip for the accurate "Tom Sawyer" cover.

You know, I watched a Glen Campbell concert from 2004 the other night and the man's gotta be over seventy. He still plays guitar great...
he was scaling along with this new blue Strat

...and, of course, he sings his songs, (you know, real songs) wonderfully. But ah, how shall I put this? It was most disconcerting to also think of porkpounder and his posts about how he would love to lick Glen Campbell's hairy asshole. But what can you do? Some people have mental problems.

www.simpsonsmovie.com has a new create-you-own Simpsons character feature.

!@#$%!'s blood will boil. He's that guy that loathes The Simpsons and has only seen his "favorite" movie (La Dolce Vita) ten times, and asks others (specifically demonrail666...why didn't they just PM? Oh, that's right, they were trying to impress you the reader) what to make of it because he has "homework" he's having trouble completing. But hey, every other person here is a copycat, so it's good times in the pigsty, I suppose. And demonrail666, he posted recently that he only listens to Sonic Youth once a year! Yet he's at the Sonic Youth messageboard. Something is not computing there.
Me, I always had to more-or-less make time to ever post here and it's something I will never be doing again. Sure, like most, I also came here to kill time at times too, but more often than not, I was going out of my way.

Anyway, just listening to the new Bad Brains that comes out officially tomorrow. It's their best since I Against I and easily one of the best new releases this year. I've been getting into reggae a good bit lately and listening to a lot of live Peter Tosh and Bob Marley and The Wailers, so this new Bad Brains came along at just the right time for me.
The Police's new tour sounds slightly off on two (Phoenix & Vegas) of the most recent recordings I downloaded, but the concert from Oakland is on beat mostly. The new tour can't compare to the intensity they regularly mustered back in the day, but it's still very solid stuff and they perform the songs slightly different every night. Anyway, it buries whatever most listen to and The Police might just be the new best live band in the world. And hey, it's only three guys.

I came across something that made me think of this board and the people here that like to pretend that they are musicians:

Legion Of Rock Stars

4. Hilarity ensues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptCwtbgIp8I&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Estereo gum%2Ecom%2Farchives%2Fvideo%2Flegion%2Dof%2Drock% 2Dstars%2Ehtml

Please resist any urge to quote this post and comment as I will not be replying to any rebuttal taunts.

---

Honorable mention:
Coltane, Cherry, Charlie Haden, Percy Heath and Ed Blackwell in 1960, and finally released by Atlantic in 1966.)

----------------------

1st paragraph = utter bollocks. I'm pretty much 99% sure I mentioned Evan Parker about a week ago and that wasn't the first time.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 05:58 PM   #24
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
The Bad Plus are awful.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 06:03 PM   #25
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600

he was scaling along with this new blue Strat

www.simpsonsmovie.com has a new create-you-own Simpsons character feature.

Anyway, I'm listening to the new Bad Brains that comes out officially tomorrow. It's their best since I Against I and easily one of the best new releases this year. I've been getting into reggae a good bit lately and listening to a lot of live Peter Tosh and Bob Marley and The Wailers, so this new Bad Brains came along at just the right time for me.
The Police's new tour sounds slightly off on two (Phoenix & Vegas) of the most recent recordings I downloaded, but the concert from Oakland is on beat mostly. The new tour can't compare to the intensity they regularly mustered back in the day, but it's still very solid stuff and they perform the songs slightly different every night. Anyway, it buries whatever most listen to and The Police might just be the new best live band in the world. And hey, it's only three guys.

Legion Of Rock Stars

4. Hilarity ensues

---

Honorable mention:

----------------------

GUESS ATARI'S MEDICATION.
extra points if you also guess if he forgot to take it today

oh yeah. my blood is boiling. ha ha ha ha.
*yawn*
he thinks i care...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 06:36 PM   #26
lungfish
bad moon rising

lungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asses
anyway..

good to see basquiat out of the blue, literally.
currently reading

lungfish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 07:50 PM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
i love long posts
Old 06.26.2007, 12:04 AM   #28
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
i love long posts

me too, when it's not all a bunch of lunatic ass talk.

although, for the laughs... sure!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2007, 06:41 AM   #29
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
How about Sun Ship? I see that one in the racks here all the time, new reissue, and it looks pretty sweet. McCoy Tyner on piano, Elvin Jones on the skins.
yeah, definitely get sun ship, it's my all-time fave!

other good ones: om, ascension, olatunji, meditations, interstellar space, living space etc, or basically anything on impulse! but especially anything around 1965.
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2007, 01:49 PM   #30
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
for my money crescent is the one.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2007, 02:35 PM   #31
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Crescent? I hear it's kind of mellow. I want wild, I tell you--wild!
Old 06.26.2007, 02:36 PM   #32
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Crescent? I hear it's kind of mellow. I want wild, I tell you--wild!

Ascension, I tell you, Ascension!
Old 06.26.2007, 02:56 PM   #33
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I would, if it were in the bins. Only later Coltrane in the vinyl bins right now is Sun Ship. Crescent's there, too, on LP, but I'm jonesing for his later, freer stuff.
Old 06.26.2007, 02:56 PM   #34
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Sun Ship is pretty wild.
Old 06.26.2007, 02:58 PM   #35
gmku
invito al cielo

I'll go with your rec, then. Unless I see Ascension. They're pretty good about keeping the Coltrane LP section stocked.
Old 06.26.2007, 05:19 PM   #36
el duderino
bad moon rising

el duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's asses
Get both crescent and sunship duder, crescent is mellower but still an absolute masterpiece and together they'd make a very nice purchase. Crescent is definitely meant to be played at the stroke of midnight
el duderino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 02:21 AM   #37
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
if you want some crazy stuff then get OM!
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 07:07 AM   #38
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
I bought this CD today and I'm pretty amazed.

I really dig all the tracks over the two discs. It's wild but not harsh at all.

Has anyone heard this one?

One guy told me it was pretty much heavy metal. From his description it sounded like something i'd like.
Old 06.29.2007, 07:46 AM   #39
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, atari2006 is back, back, BACK, and this time it's personal.

The last couple of times I saw Evan Parker was in a quartet with Chris Corsano earlier this year in Stoke Newington (excellent) and the the Arts Council-sponsored Noise thingy in London last month (turned out to be very good, and Evan was on fine form).

Coltrane recommendations - Live In Seattle, Impressions. Om and Interstellar Space.

Onani Nic - "Live In Japan" is a fanstastic document, and certainly worth hearing.
Old 04.01.2012, 04:26 AM   #40
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
bump.

i love A Love Supreme, My Fav Things (!!) and Giant Steps.
where should i go from here?
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth