Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page I'm getting Rather Ripped, are you?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.13.2006, 07:26 PM   #41
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, The Neutral is another. Heh I'm not yet very familiar with the CD.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 07:30 PM   #42
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
getting paid tommorow, going to get some portland tickets and i might swing by some place and see if they have it... probaly way to expensive so ill see if i can find the eyeliner/helen 7" instead.
Old 06.13.2006, 07:41 PM   #43
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I just got it, haven't really listened to it yet though...

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 07:45 PM   #44
tparker
empty page

tparker is a jewel in the roughtparker is a jewel in the roughtparker is a jewel in the rough
I keep listening to Jams Runs Free over and over over and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and over
tparker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 07:45 PM   #45
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I picked it up this morning along with a bunch of other sy vinyl and unrelated cds. I am now broke.
Old 06.13.2006, 09:24 PM   #46
SugarLips
little trouble girl

SugarLips ain't too shabby
got it ..listened to it .. Love it.. I like the rapture song it's very non TM to me .. can't wait to see it live.. wish I knew where to get the free passes in LA I wonder if they are all gone..

kegmama I'll send you the money if it's not too late ??

SugarLips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 04:26 AM   #47
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tparker
I keep listening to Jams Runs Free over and over over and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and overover and over

exactly what i did yesterday, i never thought that i'd say that i like kims songs the best, but i do.
today im doing that with 'the neutral'
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 04:36 AM   #48
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm loving the album so far.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 05:22 AM   #49
shakeyjake
empty page

shakeyjake has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i love the album

pink steam is great

the only problem is they sound to reigned in

like jams run free more like jams on a leash that song would be better longer i think
shakeyjake is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 04:52 AM   #50
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
::: Rather Ripped finally slipped into my mailbox :::

I already heard the streams numerous times but receiving the album is all the fun all over again.
Loved it already but loving it even more now!!!

I always thought SY diving into the more mainstream aspect of music is what made them great, more so on this album. I remember Lee talking about what would be if they would produce only these weird kind of albums, they would be this weird thing in the back of this weird club. Well, writing such an album as RR and then rocking it out in the back of CBGB's is inspiring... .

My rating was 8/10 and is currently going 8,5 to 9.

Even the cd packaging is cooler then I expected.
(Helen Lundberg is a supreme bonus!!!)

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 05:06 AM   #51
LNC
little trouble girl

LNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's asses
Got it this morning! Superb!!! I'm planning a roadtrip for this afternoon just so I can listen to it peacefuly, over and over again! ...and have a dignified car crush. (so far, 8/10, and going higher)
Old 06.15.2006, 06:16 AM   #52
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNC
Got it this morning! Superb!!! I'm planning a roadtrip for this afternoon just so I can listen to it peacefuly, over and over again! ...and have a dignified car crush. (so far, 8/10, and going higher)

where are you going on yr road trip???
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 07:23 AM   #53
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
I d/l the album a while back... bought the cd as soon as it came out. First off - I like the bonus tracks, I hadnt heard them since a taped recording of Thurston doing them about 18 months ago.....

Which brings me to...

..... The production.... via a quickie review...

First off, I really like the album, the songs and melodies are really strong and as has been said by other people already - it's a grower. When I first listened to it though, I was completely underwhelmed - it sounded like a continuation of Sonic Nurse... what I've always loved about SY is their progression from album to album and the change in sounds, and when that wasnt smack in the face obvious to me I was disappointed. On further listening though I got really into it and while it still bears a certain similarity to Nurse - it is a different album.

Now the production.... I'm not a snob about production, but I know what kind of sounds I personally like. I eagerly awaited Sleepin Around coming on, because the live video of it on this site, even without Lee, completely and absolutely rocked. So then the song comes on and it sounds like it's after being recorded on a 30 year old cassette and then played down a telephone line to the cd factory. Now.... ok this was probably the sound they wanted, cool. But I dont like it (... it's just opinion). What makes me a bit curious about the crappy production is they kind of gave out about Jims production technique on Kim Gordon and the..... song in the Wire interview - now... while I'd agree with the criticism to a degree - I think they may as well have got Jim to produce sleepin around because it has that soft sound which I dont think lends itself to a noisey rocking track - like Sleeping Around and Kim Gordon.

I think otherwise the sound is pretty excellent and it lends itself particularly well to the downright beautiful Kim tracks.

But yeah on the louder tracks, I'd like more of a live feeling coming through, like it does on the rough bonus trax.

Anyway... I cant wait to see them live this year or next - it's always were they youth excel...

Thanks for a great record!
Old 06.15.2006, 07:26 AM   #54
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
.... detail on the booklet: love it how they used the same font type as their first EP on the last inside page. That font type would also rock as the tracklist on the back cover. I'm a sucker for details.

Now who the hell is JP Robinson?

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 07:35 AM   #55
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I am ordering it on vinyl sometime or other. Probably after my amp gets fixed.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 08:31 AM   #56
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Why does it say "goodbye sonic" on the record label? Are they trying to tell us something? Or is this just a weird inside joke I don't get?
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 01:16 PM   #57
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
How much does it cost? Cuz I won't spend more than 7 or 8 bucks on it. It just isnt a good enough album to spend upwards of ten dollars.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 01:21 PM   #58
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe someone died (in reference to goodbye sonic)

I just got my new T-short and the eyeliner 7" in the mail!

now to buy rather ripped on vinyl!
Old 06.15.2006, 05:58 PM   #59
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
I love it so far. The only track I'm not into is Lights out. The rest is great. But I thought the middle part of "Rapture" could have gone on longer. It could have been this long crescendo leading to a noise section and then back to the song. Those are the only 2 tthings that I found wrong with it, in my opinion. And Pink Steam is such a great song.

As far as the pop thing goes, it didn't sound so pop-oriented to me. Kim's songs are the only ones that sound poppy but Lee's and Thurston's don't. Kim's vocals sound great though and her songs are the strongest. I just love her vocals on this album. I don't get why so many people dislike this album, it's really good. The negative posts by the same people are getting really annoying but I guess it's all opinion.

All in all, I'm liking this album. Pink Steam, Sleepin' Around, Rats, Jams Run Free, and The Neutral are my favorites. There are a lot of new favorite Kim songs for me on this album. This is one of her best albums.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 08:40 PM   #60
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
Just got RR tonight, I'm on Sleepin' Around, and I'll say that this is what EJSTNS tried to be. (In my opinion. It's my least favorite SY record)

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth