Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 10 favorite noise/harsh noise/power electronics artists
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.27.2011, 01:50 PM   #81
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
indeed, it's not.

but i'm not going to repeat myself, you on the other hand i suspect will be like that forever.
Post of the year.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2011, 01:58 PM   #82
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
To just mention a few:
Cock ESP
Fckn'Bstrds
Alfarmania
Enema Syringe
Raseri
The Gerogerigegege
FilthyNöisyAnthrope
Torturing Nurse
Bizarre Uproar
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2011, 02:30 PM   #83
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Post of the year.

I mean it was pretty good, but of the year? That's not setting the bar particularly high.......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2011, 11:14 PM   #84
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I mean it was pretty good, but of the year? That's not setting the bar particularly high.......
Suicide doesn't come close to that.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2011, 11:15 PM   #85
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
What an odd thing to say........
Old 06.05.2011, 03:16 PM   #86
The Watcher
children of satan

In light of that download thread this last few responses have taken on a ghastly and frankly eerie subtext...... A window to the future perhaps? Or indeed perhaps even to the past?????

???????
Old 06.05.2011, 04:19 PM   #87
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno if i can do 10 without pretending to like acts more than i really do, but i guess it goes, in order of genuine enjoyment

Ashtray Navigations
Yellow Swans
Skullflower
Whitehouse
Incapacitants
Government Alpha
Merzbow (But i dont REALLY like Merzbow)
Relay for Death
Macronympha

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2011, 04:48 PM   #88
The Watcher
children of satan

Why would you say Merzbow I you didn't really mean it? I'm semi confused......

I like Merzbow beat when he plays the drums...... He's got some great albums, I have about 30 and I like Hybrid Noiseblood, 1930, Animal Magnetism, Rainbow Electronics II, Anicca and the collaboration with The Haters the best, as well I thought that -3 Japanese Birds series was terrific. I ordered from Important and got a free Merzbow tote bag. I carry meat groceries home in it though

I really want that Merzbient box set by I don't have the money right now......
Old 06.05.2011, 04:49 PM   #89
The Watcher
children of satan

Government Alpha are totally sick too......
Old 06.05.2011, 05:19 PM   #90
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
what;s the merzbient box? I got the merzbox, 24 hours of seals (4 discs), and 13 japanese birds (which is 14 discs, actually).

I have over 100 merzbow albums, I love him actually. Especially his drumming.

I probably said earlier, but MAMMAL is my shit. Just amazing. Get everything Mammal has done. It has some really weird decaying guitar shit mixed with some odd harsh fast drum machine pounding. But its intense as fuck.

I really like that one guy, Xlinsupreme too, who has some noisey shit but mixes it with actual riffing and drum machine and keyboards and stuff. Yellow Swans, also... basically, I like the more hybridized "noise" guys, the ones who aren't afraid to insert "musical" loops/sounds into their stuff.

I also really like the "cut-up" noise stuff, like Gastric Female Reflex and Brian Ruryk (who is a rad dude). GFR is really interesting, it's basically a bunch of really really short clips of different things cut up and put together.. a woman screams segueing into a gun shot distorted seguing into children laughing that keeps getting more and more intense and then you hear a church organ and then a telephone ring. Just shit like that. Really weird and entertaining..

Ruryk is basically a guy who beats the FUCK out of an acoustic guitar. He records a left speaker track of it and a right speaker track of it. The "interplay" between speakers is always really interesting. At times, it resembles a Bill Orcutt or a Derek Bailey that's 10000x more intense and fucked-up. It's amazing what he does with an acoustic guitar, clanging and banging.. ripping off strings, going at them with different tools, smashing his guitar (!), etc. No effects. Just "acoustic-based" noise of the highest order, the 6 tape set CYCLE OF FORDS is the best "noise" release I own. Supernice guy, too, I got him to do a soundtrack for me for my next film, which I feel bad since I haven't worked on it much (only have 10 minutes completed), I really want to release it so people can hear his bizarre soundtrack (with contributions from uuuuuu on the sdtrk too heheh!).

OH YEAH... the king of noise: RUNZELSTIRN AND GURGELSTOCK. Get everything you can by them/him. By far the most fucked-up stuff I've ever heard. Yes, even more fucked-up than Caroliner. More fucked-up than a Peter Sotos spoken word album. More fucked-up than DOG POUND FOUND SOUND (2 hours of dogs crying and moaning and barking and panting). I guess everyone should check out Caroliner too, I wouldn't call them "Noise" though some of their stuff definitely isn't "music" by typical definition, a LOT of their stuff sounds like an old redneck woman screaming over a detuned banjo while tons of weird little snippets of other instruments float around the mix... sometimes they flat-out noise it up, though. One of my favorite bnads ever, either way.

Finally, I LOVE Black Mayonnaise, which some people call doom/sludge. It is more close to doom/drone/sludge/etc but it is so underproduced in spots and the riffs are SO low and crackly and decayed and noisey, and the vocals are just something else. It's kinda super-slow-noise-sludge. It's hard to explain but it's topnotch.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2011, 05:19 PM   #91
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Why would you say Merzbow I you didn't really mean it? I'm semi confused......

I like Merzbow beat when he plays the drums...... He's got some great albums, I have about 30 and I like Hybrid Noiseblood, 1930, Animal Magnetism, Rainbow Electronics II, Anicca and the collaboration with The Haters the best, as well I thought that -3 Japanese Birds series was terrific. I ordered from Important and got a free Merzbow tote bag. I carry meat groceries home in it though

I really want that Merzbient box set by I don't have the money right now......

I said i dont REALLY like Merzbow, in the sense that i like some things ive heard but i cant be considered a fan. Same with Government Alpha really. Im not a hardcore fan of anything outside Ashtray Navigations or Yellow Swans

Having said that, i dunno if Vibracathedral Orchestra or Astral Social club would count in a noise list, but i would have them in my top 5 too

Old 06.05.2011, 05:47 PM   #92
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
\m/ Xlinsupreme \m/
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2011, 06:14 PM   #93
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Ashtray Navigations

Oh! Ashtray Navigations is such a cool dude, glad you mentioned him, the last msg I got before I deleted my fb was from his friend saying how they watched/enjoyed currently untitled. Made me happy, genuinely flattered me. I love his stuff, he's brilliant.

Old 06.05.2011, 06:23 PM   #94
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
RUNZELSTIRN AND GURGELSTOCK.

Not shit.

Quote:
Caroliner.

Very, very shit, and not fucked up. Just the sort of thing that art students do when the're not bothering to be good (for which see Principal Edwards Magic Theatre [not noise].

Quote:
DOG POUND FOUND SOUND

Amazing, still. I think it's the only set of mp3s that've survived 4-5 clearouts.

Anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQ35GBhdZs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2011, 06:36 PM   #95
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Art students?! Not fucked-up? What album have you heard? They have a few albums of kinda just random sound collages, but their "song-based" shit is about as ridiculous/absurd/insane as you can get, not to mention their live shows which are THE most intense I've ever witnessed.

Old 06.05.2011, 06:55 PM   #96
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
They're shit. I like you, and I think you should know that.

I don't remember what I heard, but what I do remember was that it was exactly what you'd expect from the sort of people who want to impress upon people that they're 'weird' rather than the acts of genuine weirdos (the Shaggs, Jon's smoke etc). Shit. Shit shit shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2011, 07:00 PM   #97
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Oh! Ashtray Navigations is such a cool dude, glad you mentioned him, the last msg I got before I deleted my fb was from his friend saying how they watched/enjoyed currently untitled. Made me happy, genuinely flattered me. I love his stuff, he's brilliant.

whats your favourite?

I actually find listing my 10 favourite Ashtray Navigations releases easier than my 10 favourite noise artists

Old 06.05.2011, 08:34 PM   #98
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

love that whirrs and greatest imaginary band are my current favz

Old 06.05.2011, 08:44 PM   #99
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Im tempted to give an alltime top ten

1. Red Culture
2. Throw Up in the sky/Fine clinking magnets
3. Heavy Flow Traffic or blind faith
4. yesterdays teeth cast in gold
5. A monument to british rock LP number 3
6. Exploding Blue Floor Martin Denny
7. A Monument to British Rock LP1
8. Four more raga moods
9. Six Imaginary scenes from the life of Muhammad al aqil
10. Aurora Grease Sweetrocket

Old 06.05.2011, 08:49 PM   #100
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

oh fuck yeah, red culture, that one's awesome, forgot about it.

yesterdays teeth cast in gold is another great one.

I only have about 8 at the moment, I need to get some more, which I think I'll do.. now.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth