Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Does anyone know the exact date that Daydream Nation originally came out?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.28.2008, 09:30 AM   #1
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I'm planning to throw a little 20th birthday party for Daydream by listening through the whole 4LP version, but all the references I can find to its original release just say "October". If anyone could tell me the actual day of its release it'd be greatly appreciated.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 09:54 AM   #2
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
October 1988. I couldn't find the day though, sorry dude.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 10:29 AM   #3
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
October 1988. I couldn't find the day though, sorry dude.

Hence the problem. It seems weird that it's not up anywhere. Surely it's gotta be out there? If I can't find it I'll jsut default to the most convenient Saturday.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 09.28.2008, 10:50 AM   #4
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Wasn't it early 89 for the UK?...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 10:54 AM   #5
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
It charted (at #99!) in the UK on 29/10/88: http://www.chartstats.com/albuminfo.php?id=10918

Albums are usually released here on a Monday, so if it charted in it's first week of release (which may or may not be the case), then the UK release date was probably 24/10/88.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 05:35 PM   #6
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
It charted (at #99!) in the UK on 29/10/88: http://www.chartstats.com/albuminfo.php?id=10918

Albums are usually released here on a Monday, so if it charted in it's first week of release (which may or may not be the case), then the UK release date was probably 24/10/88.

Thanks. I should have thought to check the charts. However, I will be in the US for a family wedding by then, so I'm going to be a little bendy with the truth and say it came out the preceding Monday in the US, so I can listen then.
Old 09.28.2008, 06:30 PM   #7
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Thanks. I should have thought to check the charts. However, I will be in the US for a family wedding by then, so I'm going to be a little bendy with the truth and say it came out the preceding Monday in the US, so I can listen then.

new releases usually come out on tuesdays here. unless in 1988 it was different.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 06:45 PM   #8
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Sheesh. You'd figure something like this would be well-documented. I can't find any info about it anywhere.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 06:56 PM   #9
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
you might as well celebrate a whole month to the album

i am fortunate that Dirty's release date lies on my own b-day July 21st, which makes it a much more special album to me
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 02:25 AM   #10
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I have an old copy of The Catalogue magazine from October 1988 (UK magazine which has a Teenage Riot flexi included), but all I could find in that month's release list was "mid October".
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth