Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.30.2008, 12:32 PM   #21
sarramkrop

Hooray For That!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 12:34 PM   #22
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Are there any modern noise artists have recorded a totally silent piece ? They'd get my vote for best ever.
Noiseless noise.
Sic.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 01:54 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
Bernhard Gunter

Total win.

In other news - noise music is an area of music that focuses less on melody/ harmony/ rhythm and more on timbre and volume dynamics. It doesn't really focus on dissonance - you'd need to ask Wagner and Xenakis about that (and Radelescu if you're in the mood to be bored silly). It's not really radical, and hasn't been since about 1942 or so. It's a sometimes interesting genre.

And also - what T&B said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 02:05 PM   #24
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_CHjjOoGg

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 02:08 PM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Geektime - which recording are they using? It's better than the one I have. You ever seen a score for that peice? Ridiculousness on sticks.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.30.2008, 02:12 PM   #26
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Keith Fullerton Whitman?
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 02:13 PM   #27
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Geektime - which recording are they using? It's better than the one I have. You ever seen a score for that peice? Ridiculousness on sticks.
im not sure about the recording. the care beards choir? i usually hear that peice in music class when a proffesor wants to demonstrate atonal music and weird notation. then the class laughs as the noise and i think to myself how great it is.
yeah the score is nuts. i looks like someone took a felt pen to a staff and just blacked it out. and theere are all these crazy tasks that the musicians have to play that can be deicphered by a key on the side (if im not mistaken)

Old 10.30.2008, 02:18 PM   #28
fugazifan
invito al cielo

man,this piece really caused a stir when it was first released. it was used as an example for everthing that was wrong in the new music of their age-
music mistress to words? ha!
them fools didnt know shit for avante garde. and this period might have been more experimental than all of the 20th century
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBl4kazdK4A

Old 10.30.2008, 02:27 PM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
im not sure about the recording. the care beards choir? i usually hear that peice in music class when a proffesor wants to demonstrate atonal music and weird notation. then the class laughs as the noise and i think to myself how great it is.
yeah the score is nuts. i looks like someone took a felt pen to a staff and just blacked it out. and theere are all these crazy tasks that the musicians have to play that can be deicphered by a key on the side (if im not mistaken)

I would imagine there's a few people collect a lot of those peices for the score alone - you look at some of Penderecki, Xenakis, Tenney, Cage, (early) Feldman, Tudor or Scelsi's scores... beautfiul in their own right, regardless of what it represents.

I'm not entirely with you on the Monteverdi, but that is pretty special music. Bruckner's Motets! Messiaen! It's these sorts of places that these young snotty twats with distortion pedals need to look.

Quote:
Old 10.30.2008, 02:27 PM   #30
Glice
invito al cielo

Oh, and you, Mr Fan, should check out Xenakis' Formalised music if you can get your hands on a copy - some of the diagrams in there are mind-boggling.

Quote:
Old 10.30.2008, 02:34 PM   #31
fugazifan
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I would imagine there's a few people collect a lot of those peices for the score alone - you look at some of Penderecki, Xenakis, Tenney, Cage, (early) Feldman, Tudor or Scelsi's scores... beautfiul in their own right, regardless of what it represents.

I'm not entirely with you on the Monteverdi, but that is pretty special music. Bruckner's Motets! Messiaen! It's these sorts of places that these young snotty twats with distortion pedals need to look.
what arent you on with me? that the 17th century was more experimental than the 20th? its not more. but its equally innovative for its time. and the whole spirit of that century was a spirit of really out there thinking and trying to push the boundries.
yeah messian is great. i dont think i know his mototes or brukners, but ill check them out now.
have you heard beethovens late quartets? i just heard them a few weeks ago at my grandparents. now thats some extreme shit. really different from his regular repotoire.
and ill check the library for some scores.
im taking an anallyzing music through a historica perspective course. so we will eventually get to dedacophonic .
sorry
back to noise

Old 10.30.2008, 02:40 PM   #32
fugazifan
invito al cielo

one more off topic. im listening to bruckner's ave maria op 6. its really good. kinda of like a lasso motet mixed with some palestrina. very pretty.

Old 10.30.2008, 03:39 PM   #33
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
that's what I likes!!! No wonder I dig the Lightning bolt albums.
I'll say it's primal and noise-textured largely instrumental post-punk math rock.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 03:43 PM   #34
Massassinated
bad moon rising

Massassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's asses
Kevin Drumm's Sheer hellish miasma is pretty great.
Axolotl is good too.
Old 10.30.2008, 03:53 PM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I'll say it's primal and noise-textured largely instrumental post-punk math rock.

that is some genius categorization there atari!!!
Old 10.30.2008, 03:55 PM   #36
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Best noize deez daze?
I'll go with The Original Silence, of course. Paal Nilssen-Love's Town House Orchestra is right on as well.

Reed/Anderson/Zorn's improv goes into some new areas due to the presence of Laurie (especially the second part). It sounds a bit different than most because Lou is playing too.

I can understand why many say Merzbow is the advance guard, but I'll (also) go with Wolf Eyes as deserving of strong consideration.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 08:23 PM   #37
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Lightning Bolt are like a spastic Progressive Hardcore with Noise leanings, certainly not noise though. I havnt seen one interesting response so far.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 08:27 PM   #38
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I love Wolf Eyes, but again, I don't see it. I just said the Skaters because that music seriously shoots you into outer space, takes you out of your body, and that's what good noise should do.

I read a review of the Skaters in Blastitude that said they were the honest heirs to Sun Ra because they're creating music to blast us into the outer galazxy to escape the horrors of the Earth, and they're better at it than Sun Ra because they didn't decide to go into a "Big Band" phase to gloss over thier music to bring lame people along for the ride. Hell no, if you are going to listen to the Skaters, you can't be thinking it's going to be a serene experience, but no, as with other things that connect you to the cosmos (like acid) it can sometime be a very difficuilt experience, but ultimately highly rewarding.
Old 10.30.2008, 08:32 PM   #39
batreleaser
invito al cielo

And whoever said John Cage is the nest in modern noise, I highly disagree. I can't stand his music, the guy has some balls to record and perform silence for nine minutes and think some hack academic types are gonna hail its brilliance. I respect the man for his ideas and theory, but as far as his music, no thanks. He's the ultimate in overly academic snobbery music. If we're talking 20th cent Avant Composition, I'd take Xenakis, Partch, Stockhausen, Boulez, and Varese everyday. But then again, I've only recently been getting into this stuff (past year) and have limited knowledge on the subject. I'm a rock n roll mothafucka.
Old 10.30.2008, 08:33 PM   #40
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Are there any modern noise artists have recorded a totally silent piece ? They'd get my vote for best ever.

John Cage did

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth