Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page disappointing bands
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.19.2008, 11:27 AM   #41
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
crypto, in my experience, Pavement started being the craze with hipsters around the mid-nineties or so.
Before then, the same people exalted Stereolab, and before that, most were all rabid Beastie Boys fans.

When I first heard Pavement, I regarded them as a weak version of Sonic Youth crossed with R.E.M., not anything that I cared about, and imagined how I could personally do oh so much better. The thumbs-up endorsement to Pavement from SY themselves didn't carry much weight.

It took me until the '00s before I gave Pavement much of a second listen, and although I still don't listen all the time or anything, I can state that they are a very good and extremely worthwhile band...one of the very best of the nineties at least.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 11:31 AM   #42
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
crypto, in my experience, Pavement started being the craze with hipsters around the mid-nineties or so.
Before then the same people exhalted Stereolab, and before that, most were all rabid Beastie Boys fans.

When I first heard Pavement I regarded them as a weak version of Sonic Youth crossed with R.E.M., not anything that I cared about, and imagined how I could personally do oh so much better. The thumbs-up to Pavement from SY themselves didn't carry much weight.

It took me until the '00s before I gave Pavement much of a second listen, and although I still don't listen all the time or anything, I can state that they are a very good and extremely worthwhile band...one of the very best of the nineties at least.

Sonic Youth crossed with R.E.M.
Hahaha

maybe i'll give them another try
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 11:40 AM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I cannot stand listening to any "billy" whether psychobilly, hillbilly, rockabilly, stupif fuckabilly

it is all horrible shit to me.
Old 05.19.2008, 12:01 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with a lot of what's said here. While I love NNCK, I can entirely appreciate that what makes them great to doesn't click instantly with everyone.

The 2 for me that always baffle me entirely is Pavement and Fugazi. So many people whose opinions I agree with have recommended both, and I just hear turgid horseshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 01:08 PM   #45
charles eugene
bad moon rising

charles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's asses
^Fugazi has some real toe-tappers and some real boring stuff as well.

I cant believe all this hating on Animal Collective, im in love with them but it does take a while to fully "get them". I listened to them for so long and thought they had some OK stuff , then one day i was takin a ride with my girlfriend and we were listening to them and it just hit us "holy shit theyre amazing"

A dissapointing band for me was the Cramps, i was in love with them for a month(bought all their CDs and shit) and then i realized they kinda suck
charles eugene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 01:12 PM   #46
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
yes, the cramps are like rocky horror-billy

boring.

I do not "hate" the animal collective. I just find their albums to be very hit or miss. some songs are just straight up filler BS.
Old 05.19.2008, 01:14 PM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and I cannot speak for anyone but myself but I fucking creamed over Pavement back in 1991, when slanted and enchanted came out. got it and westing by musklet and sextant, and fell in love with the lo-fi, then sebadoh early shit, eric's trip, and it was allllll over.

I was one of the few who felt disappointed at the country rock stylings of the last 3 pavement albums, although I do love them anyways
Old 05.19.2008, 01:23 PM   #48
charles eugene
bad moon rising

charles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
yes, the cramps are like rocky horror-billy

boring.

I do not "hate" the animal collective. I just find their albums to be very hit or miss. some songs are just straight up filler BS.

yea, Animal Collective do have alot of BS and i think they embraced that for a while. Theyre newer album Strawberry Jam definitley has a little more structure to it though, more "conventional" i guess is the word
charles eugene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 01:33 PM   #49
sarramkrop

Another band that I was disappointed wtih because of the unfavourable exchange between reading about them on magazines and then listening to their records is Truman's Water. I don't know, I was expecting more mayhem, perhaps.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 01:46 PM   #50
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, guided by voices. the album I bought turned out to be quite mundane.
From a Voice Plantation is a great fucking song though and I do have hopes for the early shit of theirs.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 01:57 PM   #51
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I second the guided by voices. I heard so much about them and their music, and it is nice, but it is very underwhelming.
Old 05.19.2008, 02:05 PM   #52
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam, Radiohead
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 02:06 PM   #53
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
Pearl Jam

A million 'yes's. Pearl Jam are horrible 99.9% of the time.
Old 05.19.2008, 02:09 PM   #54
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
A million 'yes's. Pearl Jam are horrible 99.9% of the time.

yeah, i think i bought their worst album too.

I forgot to PM you back, yeah i listened to the tape, it was awesome! thanks
I haven't listened to the CD's yet though, i still have a pile of CD's and tapes to listen to.
Old 05.19.2008, 02:12 PM   #55
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
yeah, i think i bought their worst album too.

I forgot to PM you back, yeah i listened to the tape, it was awesome! thanks
I haven't listened to the CD's yet though, i still have a pile of CD's and tapes to listen to.

The only two songs of theirs that I can listen to even a little are "Yellow Ledbetter" and "Last Kiss".

Cool, glad you liked it!

Oh, I listened to Cop And Speeder too. It was pretty good.
Old 05.19.2008, 02:15 PM   #56
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
The only two songs of theirs that I can listen to even a little are "Yellow Ledbetter" and "Last Kiss".

Cool, glad you liked it!

Oh, I listened to Cop And Speeder too. It was pretty good.

Cop and Speeder is good, Mic City Sons however is excellent!!! the strange thing is, i actually prefer Neil Gust's songs on Mic City Sons to Elliotts songs. weird.
Old 05.19.2008, 02:25 PM   #57
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
"Last Kiss" is fucking terrible. Maybe I just think that because it was the first song I ever learned to play on guitar and I had to play it over and over again. I used to be vehemently against listening to Pearl Jam, but I'm starting to come around.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 02:31 PM   #58
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
As people on this thread said, Vampire Weekend. People kept on telling me how they were amazing and stuff and actually - eh, I thought it was damn awful.
Also MGMT, in that very same way.

EDIT: oh and btw - I totally love Animal Collective. I realise most of you are going to think I'm just stupid but for me they're the best 2000's band so far. Maybe that's because they made me realise there were actually fantastic music going on in the 2000's (before knowing them I almost only listened to 80's bands as I thought 00's=revival), but I find all their albums great, and I'm really excited about the new album that'll probably come out later this year or next year - all the songs they played live in 2007-2008 are just pure genius. I'm seeing them on Sunday, can't wait!! I'm looking carefully at every setlist of every concert and all to see what they may play and I'm always surprised. I love them.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 02:34 PM   #59
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Silversun Pickups (loved them for about 2 days, then realized it was garbage)
The Shins (never got the hype)
Derek and the Dominoes
Old 05.19.2008, 02:38 PM   #60
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ agreed with The Shins.
Also, The Black Angels
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth