Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2010" thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.06.2010, 09:15 AM   #101
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, maybe her records could loosely be compared to Eno's work with David Byrne on ''My Life in The Bush...'', but surely the beats were more Byrne's making than Eno's?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2010, 09:16 AM   #102
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Also, I don't get how Inca Ore, Zola Jesus or Grouper are compared to her apart from the obvious female component. Meg has a rhythmic sensibility that those three can only dream of. Often her songs remind me of what would happen if an African tribe took the best acid and partied in some hidden corner of outer space. That fucking good.

you are right. there's something magical about her music. I'm listening to "Go Grey" right now and absolutely love it. Gonna order a copy right away.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2010, 09:27 AM   #103
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Slavo, you'd be glad to know that I'm making her a CD of Philip Jeck's music because I was telling her how her music vaguely reminds me of certain moments of his. Probably it's just their brilliant use of a super economical set-up to create dusty sounds.
Old 02.06.2010, 09:32 AM   #104
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
that's nice, you're in contact with her? tell her i love her.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 02.06.2010, 09:43 AM   #105
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I chatted to her before she played last year. She came over to say hello while I was standing outside smoking. I promised her that I would up some Jeck for her, which I did through her myspace, and never got a reply, until the other day I noticed on her page that she only replies to emails sent to another address. Silly me.
Old 02.06.2010, 09:51 AM   #106
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

You're really tempting me to download the record, but I am too much of a devotee of hers to ruin the sacred ritual of getting it out of its sleeve and keep it special.
Old 02.06.2010, 09:56 AM   #107
_slavo_
invito al cielo

do as you please, let me just tell you that it's the best one of all her efforts.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 02.06.2010, 10:09 AM   #108
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

AMEN
Old 02.07.2010, 04:00 PM   #109
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Glice, if you still listen to anything apart from Avril Lavigne or shit like that, download ''Turnaround Time'', and argue with me about its spectral qualities.
Old 02.07.2010, 06:48 PM   #110
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
The new Four Tet is mindblowing
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2010, 07:11 PM   #111
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Glice, if you still listen to anything apart from Avril Lavigne or shit like that, download ''Turnaround Time'', and argue with me about its spectral qualities.

I had a look at her myspazz. I was assuming you meant 'spectral' as in spectralism, as in Murail/ Grisey et al. You didn't. Which is a shame. But then, spectralism is kind of dead.

I didn't really dig it from the myspazz. It's alright, she's doing really good things with massively murky production, but I'm not in a rush to hear it again.

I'm currently puzzling over a Mattias Pintscher CD. Not 2010, but definitely good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2010, 07:56 PM   #112
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

If you'd bump into me on the street right now, you couldn't tell the difference between what I was going to post and a ghost.
Old 02.09.2010, 08:44 PM   #113
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
overstep'd

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2010, 02:23 PM   #114
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Also, I don't get how Inca Ore, Zola Jesus or Grouper are compared to her apart from the obvious female component. Meg has a rhythmic sensibility that those three can only dream of. Often her songs remind me of what would happen if an African tribe took the best acid and partied in some hidden corner of outer space. That fucking good.

This explains some of why US Girls and Inca Ore get compared to each other. It's the story of how their beginnings as solo artists are related. Those ladies were tight friends when they lived in Portland and inspired each other.
http://artforspastics.blogspot.com/2...la-safari.html
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2010, 03:07 PM   #115
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
i bought the new US Girls record today, i'm really enjoying it.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2010, 07:52 AM   #116
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I've listened to Oversteps 4 times and while it's quite admirable in its further deconstruction of electronic music, I think it's a bit of a synth overkill, overall. While Autechre probably intended even its diehard fans to look closer -- look beyond the beats -- the thing is, the best songs on Oversteps are the more beat-driven ones. It's a very curious album, and I absolutely love it in theory, but a lot of the more, um.. not sure what the word is here.. not ambient.. just more.. synth-driven/beat-less songs don't really do much for me. They're nice enough, especially if you REALLY listen to them (which is something you need to do with all Autechre; REALLY pay attenton, don't treat it as background music), I just think the main problem is that they're overshadowed by the more beat-driven works, especially the second track on this album...

I think the big problem with this album's synth-only tracks is the synth tones themselves, which don't do anything for me (which is probably the point; theyre supposed to be cold, the exact opposite of the warmth associated with most ambient music)... also, the, um, "songwriting" on SOME of these tracks honestly sounds like someone going into Fruity Loops and hitting "randomize". Just a bunch of melody-less note sequences. Again, I get the deconstruction, and I find the whole thing fascinating, and I GUESS it works as an album (especially the first half), but it just kinda makes me impatient for the more beat-driven songs. Definitely a fascinating album, and I am not going to dismiss an Autechre album after 4 listens (only after about 30 did I LOVE Quaristice), but I definitely think, aside from a few brilliant tracks, it's their worst album, overall. Still like it quite a bit though.

Old 02.13.2010, 09:13 AM   #117
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You used the word 'deconstruction' twice in that post - a word that irritates me so much in its abuse that I'm downloading the album in a fit of pique.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.13.2010, 11:05 AM   #118
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I've listened to Oversteps 4 times and while it's quite admirable in its further deconstruction of electronic music, I think it's a bit of a synth overkill, overall. While Autechre probably intended even its diehard fans to look closer -- look beyond the beats -- the thing is, the best songs on Oversteps are the more beat-driven ones. It's a very curious album, and I absolutely love it in theory, but a lot of the more, um.. not sure what the word is here.. not ambient.. just more.. synth-driven/beat-less songs don't really do much for me. They're nice enough, especially if you REALLY listen to them (which is something you need to do with all Autechre; REALLY pay attenton, don't treat it as background music), I just think the main problem is that they're overshadowed by the more beat-driven works, especially the second track on this album...

I think the big problem with this album's synth-only tracks is the synth tones themselves, which don't do anything for me (which is probably the point; theyre supposed to be cold, the exact opposite of the warmth associated with most ambient music)... also, the, um, "songwriting" on SOME of these tracks honestly sounds like someone going into Fruity Loops and hitting "randomize". Just a bunch of melody-less note sequences. Again, I get the deconstruction, and I find the whole thing fascinating, and I GUESS it works as an album (especially the first half), but it just kinda makes me impatient for the more beat-driven songs. Definitely a fascinating album, and I am not going to dismiss an Autechre album after 4 listens (only after about 30 did I LOVE Quaristice), but I definitely think, aside from a few brilliant tracks, it's their worst album, overall. Still like it quite a bit though.

Right, I've listened to it ONCE and I'd be surprised if I listened to it again.

The beats are Autechre by numbers, although they've finally got the hang of putting the odd cod-jazz rhythm in there. The problem with the beats is that they're a bit more regular than more recent albums. On the one hand, this means I don't find them massively frustrating for pissing about with 'oh-so-clever' glitches [yawn]; on the other hand, it does mean that it sounds a bit 99. I'm clearly over-saturated with dubstep, but this sounds really weak in 2010.

If 'deconstruction' means pushing the perimeters of what's acceptable within a genre, then, well, this isn't it. The beats are really regular. What they do do really, really well on this album is the non-beat-driven tracks - on the first track, there's this really meticulous, painstaking attention to the attack sound, the decay of a note, the placement of the high sine tones. Also, the fake cello sound is really, really sweet. As usual with Autechre, the other tracks have the beats far too far forward - there are some absolutely gorgeous sounds on st epreo that are largely buried underneath quite a pedestrian beat.

The last track does something really quite smart with a fake cadence around 3:30. It's almost like they've listened to Sibelius. Which they probably have, come to think of it. Again, a really meticulous attention to dEQtail on the synths.

That fruitloops comment - I can only assume that's coming from os veix3. Which has a synth gamelan floating about in a sort of Herbie Hancock way. It's probably the most unconventional thing on the album, melody-wise, but it's hardly something that would throw someone like yourself off. I'm surprised.

PARK, YOU'RE ALL WRONG LIKE SEX WITH CHILDREN.

Quote:
Old 02.13.2010, 06:58 PM   #119
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

All I'm saying is, I need to get on this fruity loops randomized bitcrushed fruitygranulizer.dll with 6 point hermite pitch shifted reverb trail artifacts racket business...

Untilted forever.

Old 02.13.2010, 08:42 PM   #120
Glice
invito al cielo

Just, y'know, stop listening to so much music. And figure out how to listen a bit better. That's all I'm saying.

Quote:
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth