Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page World Music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2009, 08:12 PM   #301
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
amazing!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2009, 06:09 PM   #302
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qeiv0x

Gaelic Psalmody. I've finally got to the point where I can convert tapes to digital format, so I'll upload some things as I put them on the computerbox.

I don't know much about this tape, apart from that it was bought in a shop on the Isle of Harris and doesn't exist anywhere meaningful. It's absolutely one of my favourite things ever though, so hearty re-distribution is encouraged. It may remind you of Missa Luba or that Ethiopian Orthodox stuff Suchfriends... posted recently, except it's not somewhere exciting and warm like Africa, it's from the dour, scotch-drenched souls of Gaelic-speaking Scots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 02:06 AM   #303
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know how to describe this except to say that it's some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. All three discs are great. Thanks to sarramporkrop for tipping me off to this blog.

Quote:
Archivio della memoria

This is a set of 3 cds published by rai Sardegna in the collection Archivio degla memoria. It contains recordings of traditional music from the Rai archives.
downloaded from Sardegna digital library

cd1 canto a tenore e musica strumentale
cd2 polifonia a cuncordu
cd3 canto a chitarra

http://rapidshare.com/files/167897454/cantoatenore.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/16791952...iacuncordu.rarhttp://rapidshare.com/files/16794033...oachitarra.rar
Pubblicato da tusitala alle 3:21 PM 4 commenti

Labels: Sardinia

hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 05:10 AM   #304
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
thanks, does anyone know anything about music from jordan?
Old 02.24.2009, 01:54 PM   #305
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I have an ex- who was in Jordon over Christmas, I'm picking up tapes from her in March, as it happens. I'll upload some when I can be twatted.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.24.2009, 05:36 PM   #306
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

i was in a kebab shop the other day and they had this music that sounded like a cross between klezmer and the master musicians of jajouka, i asked the guy what it was and he said it was music from jordan but he didn't know the name of the artist or the style.
Old 02.24.2009, 05:45 PM   #307
Glice
invito al cielo

Kebab shop guys are always useless. There was one who was telling me that a Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan record that I actually own was music from his Turkish hometown. There's a few Kebabys round these parts where I've had a similar thing, but I assure you, they're all liars.

Quote:
Old 02.24.2009, 05:50 PM   #308
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

yeah, blokes who work in a kebab shops seem to all be meat heads. (i know that looks like a really crap attempt at a joke but it's not, and i can't be bothered to rephrase it)
Old 02.24.2009, 05:55 PM   #309
Glice
invito al cielo

Can't go wrong with a kebab though. I'll tell you what, you know where most people go wrong? Chilli sauce. It's much less vicious with garlic sauce, let me tell you.

Quote:
Old 02.24.2009, 06:16 PM   #310
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

yeah, chilli sause is unnecessary, but those green chillis that they put in the kebabs are good
Old 03.29.2009, 02:19 PM   #311
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I have an ex- who was in Jordon over Christmas, I'm picking up tapes from her in March, as it happens. I'll upload some when I can be twatted.

Bumping this in the hope that I remember to up some of this stuff tomorrow. I've got loads of music purchased in Jordon, I have no idea how much of it is actually Jordanian though. There's about a day's worth of Fairouz though, which is nice.

Quote:
Old 03.29.2009, 04:50 PM   #312
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
INTERESTED

i should really explore more arab markets here for bizarre arabic music

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2009, 05:43 PM   #313
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

here's a clip from the film kwaidan, it has some really great traditional japanese music in it, it's a scene where a blind monk sings a song about a sea battle to the ghosts of the warriors who died in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l8buuwwatM
Old 04.08.2009, 01:23 PM   #314
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Three songs from Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzK7ttlR0LQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX21YIMBbPI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHkEyorPru0

There is a compilation of their stuff that was released recently (entitled "The Vodoun Effect", on Analog Africa) and upon first listen, it's excellent.
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2009, 05:12 PM   #315
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
a site that you can listen to and download LOTS of arab music recordings from like th 30's 40's.
really amazing stuff there
http://music.cdbpdx.com/ArabicMusic/

Old 05.02.2009, 05:56 PM   #316
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I saw a live collaberation between The Alim Qasimov Ensemble and the Kronos Quartet last night that was completely flooring. I mean seriously... damn. I've been a Kronos fan for a while, but Qasimov was just beyond stunning. One of the most fantastic vocalists I've ever seen perform music of any kind. SO GOOD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNAh_vvtbA
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 03:33 PM   #317
fugazifan
invito al cielo

i was just at this AMAZING palestinian culture night at the university. they danced dakas and sang songs.
they sang this song which is pretty incredible
especially this version (that someone there recomended me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKDySDoSw8

Old 05.13.2009, 03:36 PM   #318
fugazifan
invito al cielo

oh yeah
here is sir richard bishops freak of arabi youtube chanel
its amazing
lots of old vintage middle eastern movies and music
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...view=playlists

Old 05.18.2009, 12:20 AM   #319
fugazifan
invito al cielo

yeah i klnow i posted this in the rare and OOP thread, but i figure some people read there more, and some read here....

new additions at the experimentaletc blog
http://experimentaletc.blogspot.com/...-4-ethnic.html
(1997) The Secret Museum Of Mankind Vol. 4: Ethnic Music Classics (1925-48) / V0
download

1. SWEDEN, ELIN LISSLASS, Locklatar
2. BOLIVIA, ALBERTO RUIZ, Tonada De Tarka Con Callaguas
3. CRETE, BLACK JIM, Syrtas Kizzamitika
4. ITALY, SQUADRA DI BEL CANTO, Il Bel Mazzolino
5. MADAGASCAR, MME. RAVAO & RAJORO, Anio No Mba Hisoka
6. PAKISTAN, R. SINGH BIKHUL, Been
7. NATAL, S.A, SOLOMON LINDA'S ORIGINAL EVENING BIRDS, Mbube
8. BRAZIL, REGIONALE ORCHESTRA, Caboclo Do Matto
9. WESTEN SUMATRA, DJAMRIS BATAGAH, Randai Parjdain
10. NORWAY, HARDINGFELETROIEN, Fjell - Ljam
11. TURKEY, HAFFOUZ BURHAN, Mahur Gazel
12. SIMBO ISLAND, S.I. BAND, Beautiful Body
13. EIRE, WILLIAM MULLALEY, Tory Island Reel
14. KUWAIT, ABDUL EL FADELLAH, Fouad Burban el Amaria
15. GEORGIA, A. POTCHVERSHUY, Dariko
16. VERA CRUZ, EL JAROCHO, La Bamba
17. EGYPT, AHMED ABDUL KADER, Oudet el Bahara illa Watanhom
18. NEPAL, GUYOK, HIMSELF, Sidi Ma Sidi Batai
19. QUEBEC, VILLENEUVE & BOUCHARD, Talencourt
20. SCOTLAND, ARCHIBALD GRANT, Eilean Mocaridh
21. ALBANIA, LUAJNE SAZET POPULARE, Valle E Gadjes
22. SERBIA, VOJIN LUTIC, Siroko Lisce Borovo
23. HUNGARY, CIGAN GROUP, Untitled Dance
24. BALI, NI LEMON, DARI DJANGGER, Lagoe Taboehgari

(2007) Black Mirror: Reflections in Global Musics 1918-1955 / 256k
download (part 1 / part 2)

1. Kamanagah [Syria] - Naim Karakand 2. Phleeng Khuk Phaat, Pt. 2 [Thailand] - Thewaprasit Ensemble 3. Kebyar Ding, Pt.1 [Bali] - Gong Belaloewana Bali 4. Mallorca [Northumbria-England] - Pipe Major Forsyth 5. Manasa Sri Ramamchandra [India] - Needamangalam Meenakshisundaram Pillai, Thiruvazhimilalai Subramanian Bros. 6. Ngo Mebou Melane [Cameroun] - Paul Pendja Ensemble 7. Cyganske Vesilia, Pt. 4 [Lemko-Poland] - Cyganska Orchestra Stefana 8. Mother's Uproar [Fouzhou-China] - Nendi Zhaoguan, Zhehongyi 9. Drowsy Maggie [Ireland] - Patrick J. Touhey 10. Welsisni Melodyi [Hutsul-Ukraine] - Hutzl Ukrainian Ensemble 11. Soyledi Yok Yok [Turkey] - Neriman Altindag 12. Aayega Aanewaala [India] - Lata Mangeshkar 13. Nam Nhi-Tu [Vietnam] - M. Nguyen Van Minh-Con 14. Handel's Chaconne, Teil I [Switzerland/Germany] - Edwin Fischer 15. Smyrneiko Minore [Greece] - Marika Papagika 16. Narodne Saljive Pjesme [Serbia] - Petar Perunovic-Perun 17. Tjimploengan [Sunda-Java] - Nji R. Hadji Djoeaehn 18. Envidia Yo No Tengo a Nadie [Spain] - Niño De Priego, 19. Fado de Passarinhos [Portugal] - Lucas Rodrigues Junot, 20. Nakhone Prayer - Sathoukhru Lukkhamkeow 21. Baklandets Vackra Maja [Sweden] - Christer Falkenstrom 22. Djanger [Bali] - Representatives of the Democratic Youth of Indonesia 23. Songs in Grief [Japan] - Kouran Kin, Sinkou Son 24. Yein Pwe [Myanmar]

The music can be a little primitive, but Marika Papagika left a legacy of Greek folk music, rembetika, and light popular music that is unrivaled by very few artists of the day. David Soffa did an excellent job of picking out her most popular recordings primarily from the late 1920's. This is a priceless look at Greek Music in the United States during the 1920's.

(1994) Marika Papagika: 1918-1929 / 320k
download (part 1 / part 2)

Old 05.18.2009, 12:41 PM   #320
Glice
invito al cielo

Cheers bredrin, that's some fresh shit right there.

Quote:
131415 16 1718 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth