Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page tv shows that have jumped the shark
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.24.2006, 01:32 AM   #61
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
conan's my fave late night guy.
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 01:34 AM   #62
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
conan's my fave late night guy.
Conan and Ferguson are close. Ferguson's monologues are so consistantly amazing, I really can't put him below Conan. But I do laugh at Conan more.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 01:36 AM   #63
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Meet the Press really jumped the shark when Tim Russert made untoward advances on Condoleeza Rice.

Remember that time McNeil gave Lehrer head behind the modesty panel?
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 01:37 AM   #64
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses

"i can't grow a beard "
he's so cool
Old 06.24.2006, 01:39 AM   #65
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Conan's support of the incumbent actally influenced that recent election. That was funny stuff when he went to Finland & got involved with that dispute between those two friends.
Old 06.24.2006, 01:42 AM   #66
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Haha that was hilarious.

"...This isn't actually her, this is just our assistant. She won't come out...She's really pissed...I don't...I don't think they're ever making up..."
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 01:44 AM   #67
finding nobody
invito al cielo

that reminds me of the daily show atari. which is one the best things on tv

Old 06.24.2006, 12:20 PM   #68
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I hate the Family Guy with a vehemence fit for Top 40 radio.
Conan O' Brien, the talk show, I fucking hate with the rage and intensity of ten suns.
I hate Family Guy more though.
Conan is a funny guy, and he wrote some of the all-time classic simpson's episodes, the genius ones that had weaving plotlines and such. I just cannot fucking stand to hear him interview anyone or tell jokes or laugh at himself with that fucking ivy league assshole smirk he gets when he is uncomfortable interviewing. (george bush has that same smirk)
he makes me want to shove a screwdriver in my eyes, and i LOVE my eyes.
Old 06.25.2006, 05:39 PM   #69
atari 2600
invito al cielo

I went over to the message board & found this link of the video segment
http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Late_Night_with_Conan_O'Brien/video/finland.shtml
from Finland. It was the number one topic at their board when I went over there, with most people wanting to know when it will be rerun.
posted by Pernod

Reged: 04/12/05 Posts: 709

Re: Conan Goes to Finland 3/10! :
A NEW "F" word from the Old World ....
Nothing could be finer than to be in Helsinki strolling down a snow-swept avenue to the continental strains of "Czardas" played on a xylophone by a street musician (a Finnish gypsy), but little did Conan know of the disappointment that lay ahead as he endeavored to visit Finns who had sent him cards inviting him to call. Entering an austere residential building with a long corridor at the end of which were three doors, Conan first knocked on Ammi's -- no answer, then, Sorri's -- no answer. Desperate, Conan knocked at the third -- Forss Fagerstrom's door .... again no answer. "Fagerstrom, are you in there?" called Conan. Silence. Conan made his way back through the deserted corridor and once back out on the street, stood in front of the building calling out, "FAGER-s-t-r-om .... FAGER-s-t-r-o-m", but no Fagerstrom appeared. As he walked away, Conan's "F" word hung in the icy Finnish air ....

---
nbc.com is going to have exclusive, short "webisodes" for The Office soon...
there have already been 5 web-only shows of "amazon fishbowl with bill maher"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...295405-4200168
Old 06.25.2006, 08:01 PM   #70
atari 2600
invito al cielo

I watched most of the pilot of the Maher show. ^ I had read about this some time ago & then sort of didn't make it a priority after that. As always, Bill is pretty good, but still slightly askew. In pains me to think that Amazon supports net-neutrality, as does Mr. Bill Gates himself. Google opposes, bless their googly hearts. The House passed it already. The Senate was supposed to vote on it Friday, but has delayed their verdict (after all, GW is definitely signing---hence the reference to the word "verdict") until this next Tuesday. watch it
shake
watch it
rise
watch it fall

yeah, I get Instigator's trepedation vis a vis the Co-Nan...Just wanted to say that since I respect him. Lordy, I recall when he was first on the air how (as I put it before a good while ago) Conan appeared like a deer caught in the headlights. To draw a Bush comparison (with Rob hehe), Conan looked worse than Bush did post-9/11 as far as not really having all his marbles & coming off as uncomfortable to the point of appeating unprofessional even.
But that shows you something. He is like one of the editors of the writing department which is hit-&-miss, although they do come up with funny bits from time to time & Conan has now come into his own as a talk show host. Watching his show (which I do everytime of Craig Ferguson barring the rare exception due to a guest), the main thing is that Conan is (in your assessment ballpark here)...cheesy. Primarily so in the monologue when he does the "really great show" thing in a manner of a po-mo Ed Sullivan if you will...robotically repeating nearly the same lines every night & so on in the manner of a florida used car salesman. That smirk...yeah I've seen it. Funny how those little facial communications can trigger aggression. I've experienced it myself. It's like it's wired-in almost. It's like we know more than we think & the only way to know it a little is to know that you don't know anything, but, I digress.

Whew! Hey, Family Guy is much better with the sound turned down & listening to a Pylon show. You can kind of make up your own childlike narrative as you watch the images if you're out of your mind like
me.
Old 06.25.2006, 08:12 PM   #71
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
What's with all the hatred against Family Guy? I think its great! Its just so fucking random...
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 08:16 PM   #72
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Ch

can i nutshell it?

Rob brought up a point about a Family Guy Pat Benatar joke before...Now, a really funny moment on South Park was wen Mr. Mackie was wasted singing "Love is a Battlefield"///FG writers made their lame joke that was not even in the same context based on this (well, probably...we are in the realm of my own whacked out theory, after all)///but it is known that all the primetime animated shows rip each other off in some way. For almost a decade it was just The Simpsons being lifted from, but now that show even does it too.
but the jumptheshark site is sometimes funny...stumbled across it a couple of years ago or so
Old 06.25.2006, 08:56 PM   #73
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I love Battlestar Galactica, and the season finale was mindblowing, but it jumped the shark right before that.
Old 06.25.2006, 09:34 PM   #74
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I never watch the Simpson's anymore, they bore me. I find that Family Guy drags their jokes on for way too long, but some people like that I guess?

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 11:50 PM   #75
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Pokemon? huh? huh?

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 01:54 AM   #76
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Th Simpsons was a brilliant show for the first 9 seasons of it's run time. I grew up on The Simpsons and as bad as it is now, I can never stay mad at it. I just lament what has happened to such a wonderful show. But once season ten started it went right down hill. The problem was and is the show writers have changed and the producers have changed. The "new" writers had no talent and since the Simpsons had already done everything they had nowhere to go. So what you got was just watered down characatures of what the characters used to be. It's just relying on the stereotypes of the characters. None of them grow and they just become stale.

Now as for South Park. I love it! I grew up on this show. I really did. I was in fifth grade when the show came on and I haven't stopped wathing it since. It's still a funny show, but it's becoming less amusing the past three or four seasons. It's become too preachy. I like how they took on the social commentary edge, but my god, it's like every episode is a parody of contemporary American culture! The commentary used to be much more subtle and funnier. The show used to be about everday kid stuff with funny little potty jokes and the wonderfully recurring death(s) of Kenny. It seems to me that Trey Parker ran out of ideas for the show and just decided to change the format of the show into a parody of real life events. Not such a bad idea, really. His insights into the problems of American politics and culture is well thought out and rational, but it's just too much. They've sacrificed their wonderfully lowbrow sense of childish humor for zany social commentary. They should mix it up more. I don't want every episode dealing with some stupid thing going on with this country and abroad. If they started killing off Kenny again I think they will become a little bit more interesting again.

Now for Family Guy. It started out superb. I thought it was going to be the next Simpsons or South Park. It really brought an even zanier, cruder style of animated sitcom to prime time tv. I know it's derivative of the Simpsons. I won't deny that. But Family Guy has the balls to go where The Simpsons had never gone. The first three seasons were my favorites. They were in top form. But once the show was cancelled by those Stiffly Stiffersons over at the FCC (who can all fucking go to hell in my opinion) the show lost it's momentum and never quite regained it. Three years off the air really took it's toll on the writing ability of the staff. I think that the show is still funny but not nearly as relevant and shocking as it used to be. It's become too popular now. It used to be a huge cult success. Now it's just a staple of youth culture. Not that I'm really complaining, but doesn't it feel better when you feel that something you really like is only liked by a comparitively small number of people? It's like a dirty little secret that only you and a few others know. It feels really good. But no matter. I have also noticed that the show really falls back on a few gimmicks: they constantly veer off into flashback scenes of some completely off the wall scenarios involving non-sequiter gags. They are almost always sparked by one of the characters saying "like that time when you...", or "I haven't felt like this since..." or "this is worse than the time..." and they go of into some weird sketch. It's funny most of the time, but the show too frequently visits upon this gag. It gets kinda annoying after a while and one bad gag of this kind can ruin a whole show.

The next gimmick they fall back on (too frequently) is the constant pop culture references. Mostly from the 1980's, which may I say is the worst decade for pop culture references along with the 1950's. I was just a child in the later half of the 80's (I was born in 1986, but I have a very excellent memory and understanding of the decade's pop culture and political landscape) but I get most of the references. Nothing is really lost on me, I just hate them. I hated the '80's!!!! It was absolutely one of the worst decades of the 20th century. I'm glad I was just a small child for the remaining 4 years becuase if I had been a teenager, I think I probably would have killed myself. Then again, I could have had the opportunity of seeing some really great bands in their heyday. But that's beside the point.

Ah, in summation these shows have jumped the shark in these ways and blahdy blah blah....

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 01:55 AM   #77
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
blah

Old 06.26.2006, 02:03 AM   #78
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

I absolutely LOVE The Daily Show and Late Night with Conan Obrien. Two of my alltime favorite television shows. Conan is the true king of Late Night. Fuck Leno and Letterman!!!!!!

Old 06.26.2006, 02:03 AM   #79
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Jon Stewert for President in '08!!!

Old 06.26.2006, 11:58 AM   #80
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
I Love Conan Obrien! I Am Going To Marry Him. Not Joking.

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth