Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page post comething completely irrelevant!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.25.2016, 11:28 PM   #40081
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
hahahaaa yeah the spammers and scammers getting more sophisticated

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2016, 01:11 AM   #40082
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah-- sony makes some great sensors. sony cameras are a bit too much 'roids for my tastes but yeah they're best sellers for a reason

also i should have mentioned-- some of nicfit's best shots of yore were on a canon powershot-- not sure what he's shooting these days, but he's around maybe ask him

on that note i should ask him too ha ha ha. he takes awesome photos.

My girlfriend's Dad borrow us his. Which is probably the best option.....since neither one of us really would use the thing much, basically for traveling.
this is the one he let us borrow. Not sure if it's the exact model, but looks just like it.

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2016, 09:30 AM   #40083
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
My girlfriend's Dad borrow us his. Which is probably the best option.....since neither one of us really would use the thing much, basically for traveling.
this is the one he let us borrow. Not sure if it's the exact model, but looks just like it.

very nice, and looks like an insanely versatile lens-- ultrawide to portrait? i don't know how sony makes a 4mm lens... oh, because the crop factor (just read while typing this) the equivalent is 22 to 580mm. 580! that's like, wildlife level shit. and the wide should give you nice panoramas.

i read reviews and it's not a perfect camera but nothing beats free, for sure--read some instructions, keep the ISO low (it's noisy, they say) and enjoy!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2016, 11:47 AM   #40084
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses

d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2016, 03:39 AM   #40085
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I just read a news article regarding a new study. It had the following line:
Quote:
[...] the Japanese great tits used different sounds and combinations of sounds in a wide variety of contexts.

and

Quote:
"In the course of 10 years of field research, I noticed that the Japanese great tit has a variety of call types and uses many different calls in different contexts"

Now I'm confused

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2016, 02:52 PM   #40086
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
also i should have mentioned-- some of nicfit's best shots of yore were on a canon powershot-- not sure what he's shooting these days, but he's around maybe ask him

uh, looks like I'm a bit late ...

I used a Canon Poershot S1 IS, then "upgraded" (I'm talking years ago...) to a S3 IS, loved them, nice optical zoom, decent quality, but we're talking 6.0 Megapixel CCD, eh, quite outdated...

honestly, I think that unless you need the optical zoom nowadays some mid-high level smartphones could easily "work" almost as good as cheap cameras, so if the budget is really tight it's not that easy to find a worthy model...

Nowadays I use APS-C cameras, a Nikon D7000 reflex (had it for a few years) and lately I fell in love with Fuji's mirrorless x series (I tried an X-E1, which is quite "old" but wonderful to use even with vintage lenses, I think I'll "upgrade" soon to an X-E2s).

Sony makes great compact cameras, and great not-so-compact long-zoom cameras (RX 100 and RX 10) and great interchangable lenses mirrorless too (A6300 and their full frame models), but I'd say it's almost pointless buying cameras with sensors smaller than 1" nowadays. and the models I mentioned are quite costly... end of rant (end of my time to rant about cameras, at least), I'll be back for more when I've more time and I'm bored of real life ahahah.....
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 11:15 AM   #40087
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
uh, looks like I'm a bit late ...

I used a Canon Poershot S1 IS, then "upgraded" (I'm talking years ago...) to a S3 IS, loved them, nice optical zoom, decent quality, but we're talking 6.0 Megapixel CCD, eh, quite outdated...

honestly, I think that unless you need the optical zoom nowadays some mid-high level smartphones could easily "work" almost as good as cheap cameras, so if the budget is really tight it's not that easy to find a worthy model...

Nowadays I use APS-C cameras, a Nikon D7000 reflex (had it for a few years) and lately I fell in love with Fuji's mirrorless x series (I tried an X-E1, which is quite "old" but wonderful to use even with vintage lenses, I think I'll "upgrade" soon to an X-E2s).

Sony makes great compact cameras, and great not-so-compact long-zoom cameras (RX 100 and RX 10) and great interchangable lenses mirrorless too (A6300 and their full frame models), but I'd say it's almost pointless buying cameras with sensors smaller than 1" nowadays. and the models I mentioned are quite costly... end of rant (end of my time to rant about cameras, at least), I'll be back for more when I've more time and I'm bored of real life ahahah.....

A DAY TOO LATE MAN!

But thanks for the info. Now I know I'll need to spend a nice amount to get a pretty solid camera.

And....Seattle is dope. We were pretty shocked when we arrived. We were early and decided to explore a bit before checking in. Wow. Pioneer Square was nice, but a wrong turn and BOOM you're in an alley with a shit ton of homeless people doing drugs. They seemed harmless and didn't bother us, but wow. We weren't expecting that. The seafood was pretty amazing. In fact all of the food we had there was awesome. Our experience was really nice. It's a city, but a lot of the times it didn't feel like it, everyone was super nice to us and nothing ever felt rushed. That city impacted me in such a nice way. I wish to return soon.
Old 09.01.2016, 12:01 PM   #40088
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
A DAY TOO LATE MAN!

But thanks for the info. Now I know I'll need to spend a nice amount to get a pretty solid camera.

And....Seattle is dope. We were pretty shocked when we arrived. We were early and decided to explore a bit before checking in. Wow. Pioneer Square was nice, but a wrong turn and BOOM you're in an alley with a shit ton of homeless people doing drugs. They seemed harmless and didn't bother us, but wow. We weren't expecting that. The seafood was pretty amazing. In fact all of the food we had there was awesome. Our experience was really nice. It's a city, but a lot of the times it didn't feel like it, everyone was super nice to us and nothing ever felt rushed. That city impacted me in such a nice way. I wish to return soon.

ha ha, that sounds awesome, i'm envious (i a good, non-hater, "i want that" way)

re: the camera

what nicfit said is right, but the point we might be missing here is that you *already* have a decent camera in your phones-- you've seen those "shot with an iphone" commercials yes? plus you get the online storage and all the apps ready to publish on the same device. no need to hook the camera to a computer, etc.

so rather than wait to spend a ton of money on gear (if you want good and cheap look at micro four thirds, cheaper than aps-C sensors, great affordable lenses, and some great little cameras), think maybe of how to make the best of what you already have, and once you get good you can scale up.

a little gorillapod for iphone is something like $25 i think? that will add a lot of flexibility and a steady "hand." and if you want to play with lenses, those iphone lenses are in your budget. worst case scenario is you don't like them and return them and get your money back.
Old 09.02.2016, 03:35 AM   #40089
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
the point we might be missing here is that you *already* have a decent camera in your phones
I didn't miss that point!

"honestly, I think that unless you need the optical zoom nowadays some mid-high level smartphones could easily "work" almost as good as cheap cameras, so if the budget is really tight it's not that easy to find a worthy model..."

Most people are not even aware of the capabilities of the camera on their phones and they just point and shoot, but camera apps can offer good control over the shooting parameters, and fiddling/getting to know better those parameters can make a big difference in quality of the final image even of small-ish sensors of smartphones' cameras.

Quote:
Now I know I'll need to spend a nice amount to get a pretty solid camera.

Well, you don't necessarily need to buy a camera unless you feel you can't squeeze out of your phone's sensor images you like (after you "study" the controls/parameters mentioned earlier).

Also you'd need to find out if you're really willing to bring a "proper" camera with you, if you end up buying something and you like the images it produces but you find yourself leaving it at home because it adds "bulk" to your lean figure it could be a pretty pointless purchase, even if the upgrade in terms of image quality is there.

never forget: "The best camera is the one that's with you." – Chase Jarvis

oh, lemme be a bit rude here:

Quote:
It has a high MP count so I feel like the picture quality will be there.

that's total bullshit.

What you have to consider to get a decent idea of the actual picture quality is the MP count relative to the sensor size AND the quality of the glass in front of the sensor.

A small sensor crammed with pixels won't produce crispier/better images, because the light the camera "absorbs" (which is the magic stuff that makes cameras work, ahahah) gets "divided" into smaller (too small, even) fractions, and that would actually reduce the quality of the printed/screen-viewed output, especially when the lighting of the scene is a bit challenging and in low light.. (just as an example, Sony has in its lineup the a7s, a Full Frame camera with 12.2 MP that's just a BEAST in low light situations, because it has "bigger pixels" on its sensor, able to gather more light=more information in each of them).

Big numbers in MP count on compact cameras with "slow" lenses is just a marketing ploy to lure customers.

IMHO, unless you need to print HUGE POSTERS and look at them from a close distance, or absolutely need to go Full Frame for some reason, I think the actual sweet spot for enthusiasts/consumers would be around 16MP tops on an APS-C sensor.

Adding MPs, even when they're well implemented (like symbolguy said sony makes great sensors which are able to make good use of higher pixels' count) could be not worth it unless you shoot wildlife/sports and often crop your files. Higher pixel count results in bigger files->need for bigger storage/more powerful pc/mac->longer postproduction time->not necessarily better prints/files unless you're interested in the not-so-noble art of pixel peeping.

WAIT A SEC--- didn't we have some sort of photography thread to talk about gear and stuff? Or was it the one where lately "we" just post pictures and there's almost no talk?

I could go on for ages talking about cameras.
Sorry.

ahah.
I'd have some recommendations for specific models, but perhaps it's not a good idea sto start making lists now.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2016, 09:13 AM   #40090
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I didn't miss that point!
ha ha ha i know that

i was using the pedagogical "we", as in "why do we fall?"

in other words by "we" i meant "you"

and by "you" i meant him

like "you're forgetting the part where we tell you to exploit your phone's capabilities"

i think he should be looking at this kind of shit first before any discussion about buying more:

http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphoneography/

and sites of that kind. the iphone camera can take great photos and some of the apps are fun.

btw, i got a panny g7 last spring and i'm loving it. it's a bit tiny for my hands but it's superlight and i scored this brand-new 60mm olympus macro lens (120mm equivalent) for $400.

i know you're already committed to aps-c so it makes sense to stay on that path, but to start from zero, m43 is really nice too. not better-- but great bang for the buck-- sometimes insane. the gh4 has been getting great reviews since release (it's the new indie video darling) but the g7 at $700 with a zoom kit lens was a better deal for me as it shoots 4K video

olympus has the om-d e-m1 (longass name) which is great for photos. and some of the olympus PEN cameras are like $400-500-- they look like a rangefinder but you can change lenses and i think i want one in my pocket with a pancake lens. some day.

i got burned on nikon since my d70s just died on me and wiped some cards in the process, and i've always loved panny for video-- so the g7 works for me very well.

the fujis you mention look amazing btw. i've seen some samples and they're incredible. wish i had the budget for one.

BUT we should be encouraging evolghost to stop spending and start working ha ha ha ha!

like this one:

http://motto.time.com/4205365/iphone...take-better-2/

and for inspiration:

http://time.com/4393576/iphone-photo-awards-2016/
Old 09.02.2016, 08:35 PM   #40091
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses

d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2016, 11:34 AM   #40092
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
autumn is coming. summertime can go fuck itself. go fuck yourself summertime.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2016, 09:07 AM   #40093
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

more info for joaquín:

http://thewirecutter.com/blog/all-ca...-good-cameras/
Old 09.08.2016, 09:27 AM   #40094
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

hahaha.

If I'm paying 500+ it should be a badass camera no matter what.
Old 09.08.2016, 10:09 AM   #40095
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
hahaha.

If I'm paying 500+ it should be a badass camera no matter what.
pretty much

the rest of the article is good though-- shooting style, preferred subjects, hand fit, etc

also check out those iphone photography links-- so you can take better photos today
Old 09.08.2016, 09:09 PM   #40096
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
explaining this board to people who don't "get" the internet or "get" boards even if they're on the internet is so weird. my password still works! (i set the fucker in like, 2009?)
Old 09.08.2016, 09:20 PM   #40097
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

woohoo!!

Old 09.09.2016, 08:57 AM   #40098
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

one last if you're curious

http://gear.lifehacker.com/enhance-y...ens-1767837557
Old 09.16.2016, 06:47 PM   #40099
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
bad day today, like existential bad. fuck it is what it is

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2016, 07:07 PM   #40100
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
bad day today, like existential bad. fuck it is what it is
damn dude, sorry to hear

from me all i can say that our frequent internet disputes don't extend into real life, and i really wish you the best

tgif at least or no?
1505190519551995200220032004 2005 200620072008201520552105 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth