Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Matador reads this board
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.23.2008, 05:01 PM   #161
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, should smuggle it in potatoes, kill yr munchies and yr fiending with one stone! :-)
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 05:03 PM   #162
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
the funnest thing about being irish is going to america and telling people you live in a thatched cottage were you drink guiness with leprachauns (thats just our word for midgets) and seeing how many americans believe you.

then you point at a tv and say "WHATS THAT? MAGIC IN A BOX? ARE YOU A WITCH!?!!?"
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 05:08 PM   #163
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
haha!

Americans are stupid.

I got someone at a party to believe I was an undercover cop, because of the car I have....

while I was smoking a joint with her...
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 05:34 PM   #164
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Haha.

ni'k vbmenu_register("postmenu_696376", true); is my new favorite poster on this board.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 06:53 PM   #165
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
cheers.

that story got me an invite to libble aswell.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 01:30 AM   #166
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
All Wrongs Reversed : The Internet Is One Tough Town

September 23rd, 2008 at 7:35 pm by Gerard Ahem.
Last week I pressed the old school Clyde Kane button and went (mildly) apeshit on an unnamed participant from the Sonic Youth message board. I would like to apologize to this individual for the following reasons :
1) He did not, in fact, call this label “a big heap o’ crud”.
2) At no time did he hold us accountable for our failure to make Railroad Jerk (or any other band) “as big as Interpol”.
Though I did not directly quote anyone, this was misleading on my part and I apologize. I was trying to make a larger, somewhat exaggerated point about the nature of message board criticism and how this label is held to a funny standard..and that our role in any band’s commercial prosperity is sometimes overrated or at least mischaracterized.
That said, I did so by alluding to actual quotes (even using one)…and not merely paraphrasing others, but coming up with a couple of over the top examples, out of the blue. While that made for a funnier blog post (in my estimation), it also wasn’t very fair.
From time to time in Matador history, we’ve taken exception to criticism from the media or the public, but we’ve always tried to engage in some kind of dialogue, even if it gets a little absurd at times. However, if I’m gonna take offense — even to express mock outrage — at inaccurate or biased accounts of Matador’s history, it is counterproductive to paint a whole bunch of message board participants with the same brush. Or to misrepresent one individual’s complaints purely for the purposes of having a laugh.
We’ve stopped working with more than a few bands over the course of 19 years. Some left Matador of their own accord, others were dropped (though we love to use the euphemisms about “contractual obligations being fulfilled”.) We’re rarely happy when these things happen, but it’s not necessarily high drama in each instance, either. They’re kind of like divorces. Some are less amicable than others. Sometimes there are reconciliations.
But in any event, we’re incredibly fortunate that anyone gives enough of a hoot about this label’s activities to debate or dissect our musical track record on a message board. And we’re fortunate that some of you care enough about the bands to openly question if they’ve been treated properly. If it weren’t for listeners who took this stuff seriously, Matador probably never would’ve gotten off the ground. So in that sense, it’s a bit precious for anyone at Matador (ok, ME) to put on the cranky helmet when someone calls us out. Even if we think they’re 100% wrong.
Finally, I would like to clear up one last misunderstanding. It is not true that I came across SY.com jabs at Matador by Googling the words “Fuck Matador”. For one, the circumstances surrounding our release of the 4th Jay Reatard single would’ve popped up much faster. For another, I do occasionally read things on the interweb — blogs, web sites, message boards, stories about Patrick’s stereo, staffers’ Linked in profiles etc. Just like anyone else. This isn’t research or some attempt at controlling public discourse — people have occasionally given us grief on the web. We know that’s gonna happen and sometimes, it’s warranted. But we’re participants in that discourse as well, sometimes for reasons entirely related to label PR, but more often just because we’re interested. People sometimes ask me, ‘what’s the most important lesson you, Chris and Patrick have learned from Tony Victory”, and after I look him up on Google to make sure I don’t get him mixed up with Tony Curtis, I reply that we’re all about respecting the audience’s intelligence.
ie. whatever we observe Tony doing, we try to do the opposite.
Last week, I failed to live by that credo.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 01:37 AM   #167
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
HAHAHA
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 01:49 AM   #168
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
All Wrongs Reversed : The Internet Is One Tough Town

September 23rd, 2008 at 7:35 pm by Gerard Ahem.
Last week I pressed the old school Clyde Kane button and went (mildly) apeshit on an unnamed participant from the Sonic Youth message board. I would like to apologize to this individual for the following reasons :
1) He did not, in fact, call this label “a big heap o’ crud”.
2) At no time did he hold us accountable for our failure to make Railroad Jerk (or any other band) “as big as Interpol”.
Though I did not directly quote anyone, this was misleading on my part and I apologize. I was trying to make a larger, somewhat exaggerated point about the nature of message board criticism and how this label is held to a funny standard..and that our role in any band’s commercial prosperity is sometimes overrated or at least mischaracterized.
That said, I did so by alluding to actual quotes (even using one)…and not merely paraphrasing others, but coming up with a couple of over the top examples, out of the blue. While that made for a funnier blog post (in my estimation), it also wasn’t very fair.
From time to time in Matador history, we’ve taken exception to criticism from the media or the public, but we’ve always tried to engage in some kind of dialogue, even if it gets a little absurd at times. However, if I’m gonna take offense — even to express mock outrage — at inaccurate or biased accounts of Matador’s history, it is counterproductive to paint a whole bunch of message board participants with the same brush. Or to misrepresent one individual’s complaints purely for the purposes of having a laugh.
We’ve stopped working with more than a few bands over the course of 19 years. Some left Matador of their own accord, others were dropped (though we love to use the euphemisms about “contractual obligations being fulfilled”.) We’re rarely happy when these things happen, but it’s not necessarily high drama in each instance, either. They’re kind of like divorces. Some are less amicable than others. Sometimes there are reconciliations.
But in any event, we’re incredibly fortunate that anyone gives enough of a hoot about this label’s activities to debate or dissect our musical track record on a message board. And we’re fortunate that some of you care enough about the bands to openly question if they’ve been treated properly. If it weren’t for listeners who took this stuff seriously, Matador probably never would’ve gotten off the ground. So in that sense, it’s a bit precious for anyone at Matador (ok, ME) to put on the cranky helmet when someone calls us out. Even if we think they’re 100% wrong.
Finally, I would like to clear up one last misunderstanding. It is not true that I came across SY.com jabs at Matador by Googling the words “Fuck Matador”. For one, the circumstances surrounding our release of the 4th Jay Reatard single would’ve popped up much faster. For another, I do occasionally read things on the interweb — blogs, web sites, message boards, stories about Patrick’s stereo, staffers’ Linked in profiles etc. Just like anyone else. This isn’t research or some attempt at controlling public discourse — people have occasionally given us grief on the web. We know that’s gonna happen and sometimes, it’s warranted. But we’re participants in that discourse as well, sometimes for reasons entirely related to label PR, but more often just because we’re interested. People sometimes ask me, ‘what’s the most important lesson you, Chris and Patrick have learned from Tony Victory”, and after I look him up on Google to make sure I don’t get him mixed up with Tony Curtis, I reply that we’re all about respecting the audience’s intelligence.
ie. whatever we observe Tony doing, we try to do the opposite.
Last week, I failed to live by that credo.

HEY COSLOY.

YR FUCKING LAME.
Old 09.24.2008, 01:54 AM   #169
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
I find him honest and funny.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 02:05 AM   #170
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
speaking of which...

i think ill listen to GG's "pissin' on cosloy" when i get home. shit's stupid +funny and stupid + funny.

gg's music bores the shit out of me. used to love it, just sorta grew out of it though. hes still one of my fav. iconic figures in the scheme of punk rock though.

swa(y) - the idea of GG Allin sounds great on paper, but the reality - ugh. More than anything else, he was a fucking woman-batterer, so fuck him and his non-existant cock. Boy, no wonder he was pissed at the world, with a stump like that.

You know what, I'm actually glad he died of a smack overdose. Stupid cliched motherfucker.
Old 09.24.2008, 02:12 AM   #171
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I can't imagine Kim going to the shows that Thurston played with GG. That really would have been odd if she showed up.

As for the cock/drugs thing - yeah, agreed, ha ha ha!

So how are things going with the lady in your life, good sir?
Old 09.24.2008, 02:50 AM   #172
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses

cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 03:00 AM   #173
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
that's a bold statement.

then again. you are a demented alcoholic.
Old 09.24.2008, 03:18 AM   #174
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
yeah, i know kim reffered to him once as "gross".

things are good man. of course adjusting to living with someone else always has its ups and downs, different living habbits and all...but things are good.

things goin ok for you?

Not too bad, sir, not too bad. Am busy with various things, including recording music at home, and have been catching up with family and old friends over the past week. Am hopefully hooking up with Porky on Friday, which I'm looking forward to as well - the Porkster is always great fun to be with.
Old 09.24.2008, 05:00 AM   #175
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Am hopefully hooking Porky
twats
Old 09.24.2008, 07:39 AM   #176
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Ahem...

BEST!!!!!!! THREAD!!!!!!!!!! 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09.24.2008, 07:42 AM   #177
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Adam gets $2 for each ! he uses. He just earned a buncha bucks
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 07:43 AM   #178
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

They still didn't adress reuniting the Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282 for me.

Old 09.24.2008, 09:12 AM   #179
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
They still didn't adress reuniting the Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282 for me.
well you know what you gotta do. Write about it on yr BLOGGGGG
Old 09.24.2008, 09:35 AM   #180
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I love how this thread has gone from a ticker tape parade for OUR LOCAL HERO every-n, to a modified version of "post questions for the band here" (<- my own personal favorite thread. it's like going to the state fair to look at the crazies) to "post comething completely irrelevant".

that said, I have to admit that the original matador story pissed me off. the attitude seemed slightly self-righteous and the misquote was poorly executed (there's an art to it, you fucks). however, it takes a GIGANTIC NUTS to retract/say sorry on the net, and on behalf of every-n, I accept (I am now managing every-n for a small 65% of the cut).

as a token of peace and friendship, I would like to lower my previous offer (of the entire marketing budget) to a paltry 1,000,000 (Euros, not USD) in exchange for telling a few friends about Pavement.

you know where to find me, suits.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth