Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The 50 Most Out There Records.........
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.17.2007, 11:21 AM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Is Origin's Hesitation the one where Haino plays drums?

yeah
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 01:01 PM   #22
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Some Albums I think should have been included in the list:

Can- Tago Mago
Chrome- alien soundtracks
Suicide- Suicide
Melt Banana- scratch or stitch
Silver Apples- Silver Apples
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 01:47 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

1. flossie & the unicorns - lmnop
2. omoide hatoba - [anything]
9. jon - smoke

F&TU are/ were a very good band indeed. John Peel tended to play them a lot... somehow they're 'weird' without being incredibly annoying.

5. renaldo and the loaf - struve n snurf

I don't get this band at all. A mate of mine is very into them, and I just think they're crap. Still, horses for courses and so on.

I think a lot of the outsider type stuff should qualify as pretty 'out there'. Certainly the Shaggs and Jandek if nothing else. I don't really do lists though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 03:32 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
awww, renaldo and the loaf rule balls

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 03:43 PM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Meh. But on the other hand, that Jon record is a genuinely strange thing indeed. Someone played me another of the Tzadik 'outsider' series (or whatever it was called) with someone talking in their sleep. That disturbed me somewhat.

Oh, and the most weird record I can think of is that Conet project number stations box set. Incredibly listenable, hopelessly weird.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.17.2007, 04:39 PM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
if anyone knows what record glice is talking about (the talking in their sleep one) please let me know.

hmm.. i really love renaldo and the loaf. i'd reccomend arabic yodeling to anyone. just lots and lots of instruments (some home made) playing reall crazy fruity melodies over tightly-constructed but lofi songs. tons of interesting sounds. never gets boring. i dunno. good band.

thinking about this thread some more, it alway seems derogatory to me to say something is "out there". it's just music, for christ sakes. but, again, using my basis of "stuff most people wouldn't hear every day", i'll reccomend: cereberus shoal (epic folky complex .. i don't even know how you'd describe some of their records to someone), experimental dental school (really well-written songs.. with circus organ and tinny skronk guitar device; great band!), invincible czars (another weird circus band), chromelodeon (a weird prog video game band with robot vocals), rah bras (ranging from operatic shoutalongs to robot vocals with synth breakdowns -- great!), plus-tech squeezebox (EVERY SINGLE MUSICAL GENRE compressed into 2 minute japanese pop songs), and the sun city girls (you know them right?), harry partch (home made instruments sounding like they're constantly going out of tune playing classical epics), neptune (home made instruments playing dark boogie woogie), tinklepotty (like mr. bungle but a bit crazier), maybe even that self record "gizmogdetry" where everything is toy instruments.. so yeah. good music. but just kinda.. odder than most?

but see, i'd classify "out there" more as something like spiderland.. records that really took a lot out of the musicians.. supposedly, everyone in the band had a neverous breakdown while recording that album.. that's fucking out there.

and as far as butthole surfers go, i think pioughd is a bit more out there than locut abortion technician. especially when you consider it's the first thing they released for a major label...

also, i'm stupid, can't believe i forgot shaggs and jandek... also: wesley willis, obviously.

Old 06.17.2007, 05:13 PM   #27
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
There was a magnificent incident that happened to me last year, i had just bought They Were Wrong So We Drowned by Liars and was playing it loudly from my room, and this girl came past and went "You listen to some SHIT music you know". At this point i knew i liked this album.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 05:40 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha. she's right though. that album is kinda crappy! ... i HATED it when it first came out, not just cuz i was expecting another "Dance punk classic".. i just listened to it and was like, "wow, there are no songs on this. it's just a bunch of awful repeated noises and bullshit." in time, i've grown to appreciate it more and recognzie there are at least 3 just classic songs on it. but it's still pretty weak. the opening song and closing songs, in particular, are quite bad.

Old 06.17.2007, 07:06 PM   #29
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Don't reply to dazedcola's threads. He's a robot. Seriously, have you ever seen him post anything other than making a thread? He doesn't even post in his own threads.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 07:13 PM   #30
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
do you think he's a Next Gen Spam ?

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 07:35 PM   #31
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
Seriously, have you ever seen him post anything other than making a thread? He doesn't even post in his own threads.
Yes, I have.

In fact, the second post on this page.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 07:53 PM   #32
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
He's not spam, he just makes identical threads on all of the message boards he posts on. OK, so maybe he posted this once, but look at his post count versus his thread count.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 04:24 AM   #33
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
Don't reply to dazedcola's threads. He's a robot. Seriously, have you ever seen him post anything other than making a thread? He doesn't even post in his own threads.

So what ? Many of these threads are interesting, it doesn't matter if he posts in it again or not.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 02:48 PM   #34
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
if anyone knows what record glice is talking about (the talking in their sleep one) please let me know.

From the Tzadik website:

Dion McGregor dreams out loud, and his dreams are not very pretty. Tzadik invites you to eavesdrop on the horror in Dion McGregor’s mind. In 1964 ten of Dion’s tape-recorded dreams were released on album and quickly dropped out of print. This CD is it’s sequel, drawn from the same source material – the spoke-aloud dreams of Dion McGregor as taped by his roommate Michael Barr between 1961 and 1967. Documented with extensive photos and a long essay by Dion scholar Phil Milstein, this is the ultimate document of the creativity of the human subconscious. A modern masterpiece.

Catalogue number 7404

I might get my own copy while I'm here...

Edit: In case anyone other than me cares, the above is copied directly from the website, rather than my own hand. These things can make me lose sleep.

Quote:
Old 06.18.2007, 08:18 PM   #35
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
I don't consider Sgt. Peppers all that "out there". It's pop, not avant-garde. I am glad that Locust Abortion Technician is on the list, but what about Bad Moon Rising?

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2007, 04:43 AM   #36
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Primus get out there. Not sure if that's what you mean.
Old 06.19.2007, 09:27 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

thank you glice. gettin it.

Old 07.18.2007, 05:57 AM   #38
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Uh, Zeit?

Jandek?

THE RESIDENTS?!

This list is balls.

The only one I agree on is The Faust Tapes.
SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2007, 04:04 AM   #39
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:

3. mr. bungle - disco volante
Hell yes. Weirdest thing I have ever heard.
Old 10.11.2007, 08:17 AM   #40
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
John Lennon & Yoko Ono - Two Virgins & Life with the Lions (eps)
The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World
Henri Chopin - Audiopoems 1956-1980
Laurie Anderson - United States I-IV
Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa & Anthem of the Sun
Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
Nico - The Marble Index
Einstürzende Neubauten - Zeichnungen des Patientien O.T.
The Pop Group - Y
Sun City Girls - Horse Cock Phepner (best known, but probably not weirdest)
Melt-Banana - Cell-Scape
lots of free jazz not mentioned...
lots of noise not mentioned...
Also, for some, if not many of the artists on the list, their weirdest is not mentioned.
For instance, Thing-Fish is Zappa's "most out there" record.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth