Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page class albums, atsonicpark edition # 8: deftones - around the fur
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.06.2007, 09:36 PM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
you know that most of their albums are fake, right?

i think that was another hoax made up my the band, they've made up quite a few fake stories about themselves, i think they are just into fucking with all the cliches of the black metal scene. the diesel harp thing was a hoax too, as was the story about them being eco-facists, they also put an mp3 on their website that they said was a new song when it was actually a track by Air.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2007, 09:47 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
haha.

i know they had a myspace but deleted it VERY QUICKLY and went on a lil tyrade about myspace..

they're weird... but neat!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2007, 10:12 PM   #24
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i guess i'll bump this.

anyway, i bought this album the day it came out and played it nearly everyday for a little while. out of all the bands people consider nu-metal (i don't consider them nu-metal but i know people who do) the deftones were the best and only one i ever liked. i think their first album was better, but around the fur has it's moments. but then again, i haven't listened to them in about eight years. i used to have their shirt with the screaming cat on it. someone in my high school class asked me, when i was wearing the shirt, "is that a ska band?" i thought that was funny.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 12:52 AM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Oh man, the screaming cat shirt is classic. I still got a few Deftones shirts, I should start wearing em exclusively.

Old 04.16.2010, 12:59 AM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
Oh man, the screaming cat shirt is classic. I still got a few Deftones shirts, I should start wearing em exclusively.

I've had quite a few myself.. my all time favs were the Deftones in cursive with the 13 ball, the deftones Virgen de Guadelupe logo, and of course the deftones in cursive tour wind breaker, though I liked all the ones i had.. its been a while though, I only get my band shirts from wall mart and JCpenny now, surprisingly get a lot of good shit there.. Dead shirts, Hendrix, Marley, Nirvana, got my sister a Sublime shirt, but no deftones, and I don't go to HotTopic.
I was actually quite pissed off after WhitePony when they abandoned their TM deftones cursive logo, I used to scribble and tag that shit EVERYWHERE!! then they changed it and only went back briefly with S/T but now SNW and Eyes are like WhitePony, some futuristic shit.. go back to the classic! The deftones in cursive logo is like the Deadskull or the Nirvana in Poster Bodoni BOLD.. it is TM and classic, how could you give up that?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 01:23 AM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, I have that green shirt!

I also have the red white pony one, a black one with a red futurist 'tones with a white pony, and a black around the fur shirt.

Old 04.16.2010, 01:23 PM   #28
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I had a brown Deftones worldwide (White Pony era) t-shirt, but it wore out and I decided to stop wearing oversized clothing-it was a XL, I wear M or L (I was 18, OK?) -so it's gone.

Around the Fur is awesome, but it's probably my least favorite Deftones album. Favorite tracks: My Own Summer (Shove It) (I guess I'm the only one on here that likes that one), Mascara, Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away), Dai The Flu, Headup, MX...I like the hidden track too, but it takes too long to start (20+ minutes is way too much of a gap).
Old 04.16.2010, 01:28 PM   #29
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I originally got it because I was into KoRn (shut up, I was like TWELVE!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 04:25 PM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yet at nearly 24, I think I like KoRn better than ever!

Old 04.17.2010, 08:23 AM   #31
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I was into KoRn (shut up, I was like TWELVE!!!!!!

ah how this board has grown up together. We're all a lot more open with each other now. It's funny. And nice.

Anyway, AROUND THE FUR rules. I recently hear their bsides collection and it blew my mind...
Old 04.17.2010, 08:45 AM   #32
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i think they are about the only band i can think of off the top of my head who are influenced by nirvana and aren't pure crap.

This is a good point from years ago. Band influenced by Nirvana that aren't utterly shite. Can't think of many, unless you count Radish (I had a 7" nostalgia Wednesday this week. Don't judge me for it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2010, 08:50 AM   #33
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
wow Radish. Haven't thought about them in years. Are you a Ben Kweller fan Glice? I had some CDR from a show I saw him at, but I never actually checked out his real albums.
Old 04.17.2010, 09:00 AM   #34
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Nope. Though he had Urusei Yatsura written on his shoes (A MILLION YEARS AGO) which merits my eternal theoretical support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2010, 10:37 AM   #35
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting band. I'd never really given them the time of day until yesterday when I download some of their stuff which I'm now listening to and I must say I'm pleasant surprised.
Old 04.17.2010, 12:19 PM   #36
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

DEFTONES "AROUND THE FUR"
Maverick Records, 1997
1. "My Own Summer (Shove It)" – 3:35
2. "Lhabia" – 4:11
3. "Mascara" – 3:45
4. "Around the Fur" – 3:31
5. "Rickets" – 2:42
6. "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)" – 5:08
7. "Lotion" – 3:57
8. "Dai The Flu" – 4:36
9. "Headup" – 5:12
10."MX" – 37:18

This will either be the point when people stop taking these threads seriously or start thinking I really know what I'm talking about, but I don't really care either way: anybody with ears will realize that this is indeed a classic album. Forget any preconceptions about this band; their "radio hits" or their connections with other, shitty bands. Just open your ears and listen.

Quite frankly, this album has always haunted me since I first got it in 7th grade. Yes, 7th grade, meaning it was one of the first albums I ever got and I've had it .. god .. 7 or 8 years now. I'm not trying to let nostalgia get in the way, because I just listened to this agian yesterday.. and though I hear the album differently than I did 8 years ago, I still hear it as a masterpiece. I originally got it because I was into KoRn (shut up, I was like TWELVE!!!!!! My internet friend JT Martin got me into them) and Chino was on 'Wicked' so I decided to give the new Deftones album a try. I dug it then, and I still dig it!

Basically, what Deftones do is combine intelligent song structure, interesting production, huge guitar walls (almost shoegazey at times), yearning melodies, subtle ambience, and amazingly ambidextrious drumming to create a sound similiar to My Bloody Valentine deciding to form some kind of weird metal band. And indeed, the Deftones have always been kind of... weird... in the scope of "metal". Listen to the second song on this, "Lhabia", bizarre drumming/guitar riffing gives way to vocals that sound like a microphone being chewed up by mosquitos and -- without losing a step -- gives way to a powerful melodic chorus. Meanwhile, "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)" is one of the best songs ever made, powerfully emotive, lyrically poignant though vague, and full of tons of textured guitar sounds that only your dog could hear all of: a perfect Deftones song.

Anyway, basically what you have here is so-called "Heavy metal" that isn't very heavy or very metal. And if you don't like the songs (how could you not?), you could at least love the weird lyrics. And say what you will, but I think this is one of those bands like the Pixies and the Misfits who seem to bridge cultural gaps.. "indie" kids, "punk" kids, "metal" kids, whatever reserve a special place in their hearts for these types of bands because it's a unifyingly good sound. So, I hope the people on the Sonic Youth board aren't too snobby to admit that this album's fucking great.

"White Pony" is also really good, but I prefer this one.

LOL, in this post in 07 you say you listened to korn in such an ashamed way, now you rep them without a care. What happened? Please though, don't make another KoRn thread because I brought it up
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2010, 12:20 PM   #37
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
OH WOW, I was def. not the first one to notice that....damnit....

I thought I was the only one who caught that haha.

fail.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2010, 02:45 PM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Didn't say I was ashamed, just didn't want any shit for listening to them. Now don't give a fuck what people think. That was 3 years ago anyway.

Old 04.17.2010, 02:57 PM   #39
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
wow Radish. Haven't thought about them in years. Are you a Ben Kweller fan Glice? I had some CDR from a show I saw him at, but I never actually checked out his real albums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIkCpSyg5oY
I remember the "Wasted & Ready" video from when it first came out. I also remember really liking it cause it reminded me of Weezer and it was around that time I first heard them and became obsessed.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2010, 07:56 PM   #40
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
I like the hidden track too, but it takes too long to start (20+ minutes is way too much of a gap).

ahh damone..

I'll never forget when I discovered that track, because it is my all time favorite tune, I love to cover it and get the rare opportunity scream on the top of my lungs...

I discovered that in highschool, I was 16 have awake in English class, we were reading a novel out loud (popcorn reading) and I was sneaking deftones on my headphones, around the fur on my discman.. I had been listening to this album in heavy rotation since i had gotten in two years previous, and it was my new favorite band for sho, we were all excited for the upcoming new album (white pony, which hadn't yet been leaked nor released).. so the album cut out after MX and then I let it play by accident.. around 31 minutes later towards the end of class, all of a sudden the brilliant, exciting, dynamic fucking fierce song errupted into my right ear. I was like WHAT THE FUCK!! It was perhaps the first time I had ever discovered a new hidden song by a favorite band entirely by accident..
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
ah how this board has grown up together. We're all a lot more open with each other now. It's funny. And nice.

true true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
This is a good point from years ago. Band influenced by Nirvana that aren't utterly shite. Can't think of many, unless you count Radish (I had a 7" nostalgia Wednesday this week. Don't judge me for it).

actually glice deftones is not a post-nirvana band, they are a contemporary. Deftones formed in 1988/89 and played live until their debut album in 1995.. but of course they are influenced by Nirvana, many contemporaries are/were..
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
atsonicpark][/b]

This will either be the point when people stop taking these threads seriously or start thinking I really know what I'm talking about, but I don't really care either way: anybody with ears will realize that this is indeed a classic album. Forget any preconceptions about this band; their "radio hits" or their connections with other, shitty bands. Just open your ears and listen.

Quite frankly, this album has always haunted me since I first got it in 7th grade. Yes, 7th grade, meaning it was one of the first albums I ever got and I've had it .. god .. 7 or 8 years now. I'm not trying to let nostalgia get in the way, because I just listened to this agian yesterday.. and though I hear the album differently than I did 8 years ago, I still hear it as a masterpiece. I originally got it because I was into KoRn (shut up, I was like TWELVE!!!!!! My internet friend JT Martin got me into them) and Chino was on 'Wicked' so I decided to give the new Deftones album a try. I dug it then, and I still dig it!

Basically, what Deftones do is combine intelligent song structure, interesting production, huge guitar walls (almost shoegazey at times), yearning melodies, subtle ambience, and amazingly ambidextrious drumming to create a sound similiar to My Bloody Valentine deciding to form some kind of weird metal band. And indeed, the Deftones have always been kind of... weird... in the scope of "metal". Listen to the second song on this, "Lhabia", bizarre drumming/guitar riffing gives way to vocals that sound like a microphone being chewed up by mosquitos and -- without losing a step -- gives way to a powerful melodic chorus. Meanwhile, "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)" is one of the best songs ever made, powerfully emotive, lyrically poignant though vague, and full of tons of textured guitar sounds that only your dog could hear all of: a perfect Deftones song.

Anyway, basically what you have here is so-called "Heavy metal" that isn't very heavy or very metal. And if you don't like the songs (how could you not?), you could at least love the weird lyrics. And say what you will, but I think this is one of those bands like the Pixies and the Misfits who seem to bridge cultural gaps.. "indie" kids, "punk" kids, "metal" kids, whatever reserve a special place in their hearts for these types of bands because it's a unifyingly good sound. So, I hope the people on the Sonic Youth board aren't too snobby to admit that this album's fucking great.

"White Pony" is also really good, but I prefer this one.

dude, you stole this from my head! we have such a parallel deftones experience. further, that was the most genius explanation/review deftones music, I especially agree with
Quote:

Basically, what Deftones do is combine intelligent song structure, interesting production, huge guitar walls (almost shoegazey at times), yearning melodies, subtle ambience, and amazingly ambidextrious
you should write their next review for Rolling Stone or the band's website, thats the absolute finest review I have ever read, thoroughly descriptive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
Interesting band. I'd never really given them the time of day until yesterday when I download some of their stuff which I'm now listening to and I must say I'm pleasant surprised.

welcome. when I first heard deftones when I got around the fur, I honestly bought it because the chick on the album cover. I knew nothing about the band, it just looked like it had to be good, it was practically glowing on the shelf, so I lifted it. I listened to that album 3 times a day for like 6 months, and I still listen to it all the time. I use most of it as my warm up material when I play guitar, and I love to sing deftones. The lyrics/vocal style of deftones is what I think of as entirely perfect, only tool is superior to me in this regard..

this is my all time favorite SYG thread, thank you guys, I was almost in tears laughing as I read it on my phone at the SFO airport waitin for my plane home

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth