Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston's recent use of different effects.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.15.2009, 05:20 PM   #21
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
ok a little update for those interested... so here's a fairly recent photo of thurston's effects (thanks to Flickr user lownight66 who took these, thats where I found them) froma show in Williamsburg.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/...75e84b448c.jpg

effects order appears to be:

Sovtek Big Muff (appears to be the "Civil War" version???)
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop Hendrix Octave Fuzz
Crowther Hot Cake Overdrive
Sitori Sonics Harem Fuzz
MuTron Wah/Vol

seems like the same group of pedals that Chris has noted, only the order has changed, Thurston has probably experimented with the order to find the best sound/utilization/interaction of each.

Thanks Sitori, love to see an update to your site!

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 07:11 PM   #22
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
What is the white, handheld box that Thurston used this tour and both he and Lee used last summer? Is it the same device that tunes radio stations (desired or not)?
Old 12.15.2009, 07:34 PM   #23
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr
What is the white, handheld box that Thurston used this tour and both he and Lee used last summer? Is it the same device that tunes radio stations (desired or not)?

uh not sure i didn't see them this past tour unfortunately...

on the Gearography site thurston also has a "non guitar set-up" which is a contact mic (assuming its in a black box) in front of a fender deluxe reverb. the contact mic runs thru an old Walco signal booster and there is also some oldish Panasonic tape/radio in there too...

Old 12.15.2009, 09:59 PM   #24
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
hey Sitori,

Maybe ask the good people at http://www.hauntingmids.com to do your website.....

those cats get me every time
Old 12.16.2009, 09:46 AM   #25
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

The Sitori Sonics website seems updated now, from what I can tell from the last time i was there. The Harem Fuzz and others effects are now shown where before they weren't...

http://sitorisonics.com/sitorisonics.com/Home.html

Thurston uses the Harem Fuzz
Kim uses the Brownies and Cream
Mark uses the Bass Fuzz
Lee hasn't it seems...

Old 12.23.2009, 11:46 PM   #26
TommySY
empty page

TommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's assesTommySY kicks all y'all's asses
Can somebody identify what brand are the blue cables that thurston uses?
thanks
TommySY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2009, 06:23 AM   #27
hune.prut
little trouble girl

hune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
This was on 7/11/09, from Nashville. The Blue Box is definitely there but I can't tell if the Rat is.

pretty sure I see the Rat next to the phaser...
hune.prut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2010, 09:29 AM   #28
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone know if this is true?
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2010, 11:18 AM   #29
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolfo
Does anyone know if this is true?

that's a pretty cool sounding pedal. i want it
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2010, 01:35 PM   #30
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

hmmm... its not really like a vintage Dearmond Square Wave Fuzz? its higher gain... has an edgey octave-type of sound and brittley bee buzz like a mosrite fuzzrite. that pedal also has that knob on the top where it does the new-ish modern self oscillation stuff... i have a custom hi-gain silicon fuzz face clone where i added the self oscillation knob and switch and zvex fuzz factory which is a killer insane pedal.

Old 03.08.2010, 01:44 PM   #31
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
i have a custom hi-gain silicon fuzz face clone where i added the self oscillation knob and switch and zvex fuzz factory which is a killer insane pedal.

I bet you say that to all the babes...
Old 03.11.2010, 01:36 PM   #32
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Recovery Class effects also state that Sonic Youth are using the "Dust to Burn" Overdrive pedal (a clone of the grey DOD 250 Overdrive from the 70's) not sure if that is just something used to record and/or tour with... an auction for the pedal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-DOD-250-GREY-CLONE-DISTORTION-EFFECT-PEDAL-741_W0QQitemZ200433493795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar _Accessories?hash=item2eaac46723

also the Recovery Class seller is auctioning a "Emporer's Dirty Clothes" fuzz pedal.

Old 03.13.2010, 07:53 PM   #33
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Recovery Class effects also state that Sonic Youth are using the "Dust to Burn" Overdrive pedal (a clone of the grey DOD 250 Overdrive from the 70's) not sure if that is just something used to record and/or tour with... an auction for the pedal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-DOD-250-GREY-CLONE-DISTORTION-EFFECT-PEDAL-741_W0QQitemZ200433493795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar _Accessories?hash=item2eaac46723

also the Recovery Class seller is auctioning a "Emporer's Dirty Clothes" fuzz pedal.

Too bad these pedals aren't auctioned in a house.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2010, 01:19 PM   #34
adjectives-ex
bad moon rising

adjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's asses
i have time on my hands...but don't you also need money in hand to be a gear jockey? otherwise, chrisL, i would be giving you all the attention you deserve.
adjectives-ex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2010, 03:52 PM   #35
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
uh not sure i didn't see them this past tour unfortunately...

on the Gearography site thurston also has a "non guitar set-up" which is a contact mic (assuming its in a black box) in front of a fender deluxe reverb. the contact mic runs thru an old Walco signal booster and there is also some oldish Panasonic tape/radio in there too...

Anybody know what brand of tissue Thurston was using? What strain of flu virus?

sorry, couldn't resist. i actually love gear too, but am also too broke to fix my broken gear let alone buy new gear, and therefore try not to pay too much attention so i don't drive myself crazy with gear lust...

i also am an enthusiast of old broken tape deck/radios and nylon webbing tie-downs
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2010, 02:51 PM   #36
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Anybody know what brand of tissue Thurston was using? What strain of flu virus?

sorry, couldn't resist. i actually love gear too, but am also too broke to fix my broken gear let alone buy new gear, and therefore try not to pay too much attention so i don't drive myself crazy with gear lust...

i also am an enthusiast of old broken tape deck/radios and nylon webbing tie-downs

Thats why i'm becoming more and more of a DIY-er. I did get a Harem Fuzz and I must say its the best big muff type pedal i have used (i've played about 4 different types of big muffs: the modern little big muff, USA Big Muff reissue, Sovtek Big Muff reissue, Muff Fuzz) its supposed to by close to a vintage version 1 triangle big muff with a better and more pleasing tonal range. It is smooth, provides good articulate note definition, has plenty gain, a nice tight sound, and doesn't seem to be as bass muddy sounding as some of the muffs i have. haven't tried it yet in a "band" setting to see how it cuts through but i'll be doing that this weekend, though right now its a thumbs up!

i'm finding though i don't want to spend alot on gear especially pedals, and i've been learning how to build alot of devices after having been able to modify pedals for some time now, of which can be quite worthwhile because once you have a good feel of what to do it can be cheaper to make your own devices than buying them especially is the case if recreating vintage devices which are rather $$$ these days. I've been able to build without much difficulty a Electro Harmonix LPB-1, Muff Fuzz (one knob big muff transistortype), Arbiter Fuzz Face and a Mosrite Fuzzrite. Next on the building bench is a creating a clone of the EH Axis/Guild Foxey Lady (two-knob precursor/forefather of the Big Muff Pi) and a Rams Head Big Muff/Jumbo Tonebender. if you haven't figured out i'm abit of a fuzz junkie...

Old 03.19.2010, 04:32 PM   #37
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
i've been thinking of trying some "build your own clone" projects sometime...

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/index1.html
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2010, 11:26 PM   #38
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
sonic tissue

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth