Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page kayo dot - dowsing anemone with copper tongue
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I honestly think this is my favourite album ever. Such perfection strewn through 5 tracks! A lot of people will say Choirs of the Eye is better and yeah, that's pretty much close to perfection too but I always felt it relied on post-rock crescendos and loud to soft metal parts to get it's point across, whereas Dowsing exhibits a more organic sound that lies soley on the composer's ability to move the listener.

If I'm ever stuck in a coffin screaming to get out, "Gemini Becoming the Tripod" will be my soundtrack to that.

"Immortelle and Paper Caravelle" starts with a beautiful ambient sound which I spent ages trying to figure out HOW they made it... and I realised they are simply rubbing the base of pans and pots (or something like that). "Write down your dreams on a powdered hill, on a foggy window pane" awesome.

"Aura on an Asylum Wall" is the most straightforward track but there's definitely a massive epic feel to it. Creepy and eerie yet so powerful. "___On Limpid Form", fuck, this song always blows me away. About 5 minutes of song then the rest of the 18 minutes is filled with guitar drones, noises, big cymbal crashes. Just brilliant, beauty in it's ugliness.

"Amaranth the Peddler"... probably my least favourite on this album but still gorgeous. Beautiful sparse melodies abound.

Sorry, I just love this album too much. I really don't think they will do better than this album which sort of made Blue Lambency Downward a disappointment. maudlin of the Well's "Bath" is equally life changing but... I've spoken loads about that elsewhere. Oh and I know there's a Kayo Dot thread already but I just wanna talk about this album.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2010, 05:43 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, it's an awesome album, I have loved it for a very long time, it sounds like a musical version of the drug heroin or something. It's really bizarre, and wonderful.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
And I don't mean to oust Choirs or anything, that record is of course beautiful and magical. But it's like this album is a whole different beast that really takes the listener away from this plane. Insane.

Here's a just out of the shower Derek professing his love:

Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2010, 06:23 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
HAWT.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth