Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.04.2013, 10:11 AM   #3981
Cunt
bad moon rising

Cunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's assesCunt kicks all y'all's asses
What I see is France being benefited once again.

Would Ukraine get the same treatment?
Cunt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2013, 02:24 AM   #3982
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
wait, bosnia is rated higher than france? wow. even without zlatan who is swedish or shaqiri who is swiss? impressive (or sad, depending on how you look at it).

hard for me to look at uruguay or colombia or belgium or switzerland in pot 1 but not italy. i get that uruguay did well in the confederations cup, but these rankings are bananas. am i missing something? italy does not belong in pot 4-- i mean, in real terms, it should be seeded/

anyway i don't see the "contempt for europe". there are just too many european countries these days and they have to fit somewhere. e.g., croatia and bosnia used to be yugoslavia, so that's a twofer.

i'm going to predict now, early, that uruguay will be the seeded team that won't make it to the next round, in spite of their supposed ranking. also, i don't think england will be in any way "lucky" if they face colombia-- they could get a thrashing. they should be more lucky to face, i don't know... russia?

Looking at it, Cunt's right (as cunts invariably are). I'm convinced FIFA (and especially Blatter) has an anti Europe agenda but this particular move seems more about Plattini trying to safeguard France.

There are a lot of European countries involved but so long as the WC wants to showcase the best of World football in terms of quality it has to be the case. Otherwise it just becomes a kind of Bennetton ad where we can all patronise the smiling no hopers.

And Uruguay. Did you see Suarez's hat-trick last night? Uruguay aren't a one man team but if he can take his current form into the tournament he could be a real difference maker. Not saying they'll win the thing but nobody'll want to face them with him in full-on goal-scoring mode.

There'll be no easy group for England, just varying degrees of 'we're doomed'.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2013, 03:28 AM   #3983
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
COYB!!!! Have I done a u-turn on Martinez or what?! So that's 11 years and Moyes STILL hasn't won at Old Trafford with Everton there.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2013, 04:36 AM   #3984
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Haha. I was thinking of you when I watched it last night. Man U won't sack Moyes but I know some fans who now really question his ability to ever be a success there. If anything MU are lucky that none of their main rivals (with the possible exception of Arsenal) are looking that good. Besides that I'm just loving seeing their fans struggling to cope with the possibility of them becoming mid-table mediocrities. MU fans have a saying, 'not arrogant, just better'. You can pretty much reverse that now.

Old 12.05.2013, 09:12 AM   #3985
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Looking at it, Cunt's right (as cunts invariably are). I'm convinced FIFA (and especially Blatter) has an anti Europe agenda but this particular move seems more about Plattini trying to safeguard France.

i don't understand why. in the end there was going to be one random leftover in pot 4 and that was going to fit a hole left by pot 2. no? same fucking thing.

i really don't get it.

is pot 2 rated lower than pot 4?

---

edit: i don't really get the fuckin pot X.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2013, 12:44 PM   #3986
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yet more proof (as if it were needed) of Blatter's/FIFA's utter contempt for the European countries.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...a-england-pots

Prick

It's not a contempt for European countries as far as I see it, but it's certainly an utter contempt for integrity and transparancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt
What I see is France being benefited once again.

Would Ukraine get the same treatment?

Yeah, it's plain obvious that Platini (whaddacunt) is the driving force behind this decision. And no, Ukraine wouldn't get the same treatment... neither would Bosnia had they'd been the lowest ranked European country.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2013, 12:55 PM   #3987
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it seems like you futbol fanatics talk 1% actual match action and the other 99% it's soap-opera bullshit.
Old 12.05.2013, 12:59 PM   #3988
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

anyway i don't see the "contempt for europe". there are just too many european countries these days and they have to fit somewhere. e.g., croatia and bosnia used to be yugoslavia, so that's a twofer.
Quote:
i don't understand why. in the end there was going to be one random leftover in pot 4 and that was going to fit a hole left by pot 2. no? same fucking thing.

i really don't get it.

is pot 2 rated lower than pot 4?

---

edit: i don't really get the fuckin pot X.

There have been 13 places for Europe for quite a while. The "problem" is that only 4 of them are seeded this time, meaning the remaining 9 unseeded Euro teams don't fit in a single pot.

This happened before at the 2006 World Cup and back then the lowest ranked country (Serbia and Montenegro) was placed in pot 2 which has "weaker" sides than the Euro pot.

For 2014, it was expected that France - being the lowest ranked European team at the cut-off point of October 2013 - would end up in pot 2.... because that's what happened in 2006 too, right?

Since you can't draw teams from the same pot you are in, being in pot 2 is a massive disadvantage. It means you can't draw "easy" teams like Algeria or Ecuador from pot 2, but you can draw teams like England, Italy, Holland or Portugal from pot 4 (teams you would avoid if you are in pot 4).

It also means you cannot draw "easy" seeded teams like Belgium and Switzerland from pot 1 because you automatically get a South American team to avoid having 3 teams from Europe in the same group. That's why the Guardian qualified Colombia as "England getting lucky", because in pot 2 the only other available options would be Brazil, Argentina or Uruguay.

In pot 2, France would be certain to get Brazil/Argentina/Uruguay/Colombia plus have a 50% chance of drawing Netherlands/Italy/Portugal/England.

In pot 4, the chance of drawing a group of death is much much smaller, because then France could also draw Belgium/Switzerland from the seeded teams, plus they'd only have a 12.5% chance of drawing the European country from pot 2 (which in itself could be any of the European countries).

FIFA claims the draw is based on geographical location and the October 2013 FIFA rankings. But what they do now means:

1. It means that being ranked 8th (Netherlands), 9th (Italy) or 21st (France) doesn't make a difference for the draw.

2. It means that being the first two European countries to qualify (Netherlands and Italy) or the last country to qualify (France scraping through the play-offs) doesn't make a difference.

Now, while that might seem a bit silly, I'd absolutely have no problem with it if it was decided well before the qualification started. But what makes this such an inexcusable dick move is that it's been decided 3 days before the draw!

Everything about the World Cup is carefully planned, discussed and written down in a set of rules. From the brand labels on the drinks sold at the stadium to the colour of the stadium seats, etc etc etc... but not the rules of the draw? Yeah right.

Also, FIFA stated that this decision was made after talks with the continental confederations... meaning also UEFA... meaning Platini. What a cunt indeed.
Old 12.05.2013, 12:59 PM   #3989
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it seems like you futbol fanatics talk 1% actual match action and the other 99% it's soap-opera bullshit.

that's part of the fun, man!
Old 12.05.2013, 01:51 PM   #3990
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Firstly, duh, its international sport, so obviously there is much gossip, and secondly, isn't ALL sport about the other 99% that is not just the games played themselves?

All this drama about the pot/bowl system makes me think, "fuck it." Why have such an absurd system in name of face-saving quasi-arbitrariness? Why not just have a more traditional table system and match up teams directly by ranking rather than by this sort-of-randomness in the drawing from the pot/bowls?? Yes, its not random and involves math, but the pot/bowl system essentially still guarantees that crap teams will be in a group with power-house teams, so fuck it! I don't usually like tables, I think it doesn't allow lower seeds a fair chance to advance into playoffs, it automatically buoys the best teams which is why I like the American system of Conferences and Divisions which still reward better win-records but also mix up the competition a bit by allowing teams with a lesser win-record to play in higher seed rankings based on Division leaders.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2013, 02:26 PM   #3991
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
that's part of the fun, man!

Let's talk about the fixed matches, bought players, bought crooked refs, multinational corporations owning teams engaged in fraud, soccer clubs money laundering drug money in latin america, etc.
Old 12.05.2013, 02:28 PM   #3992
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Firstly, duh, its international sport, so obviously there is much gossip, and secondly, isn't ALL sport about the other 99% that is not just the games played themselves?

Maybe for casual fans. For actual sport fans it is the other way around.
Old 12.05.2013, 02:46 PM   #3993
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Let's talk about the fixed matches, bought players, bought crooked refs, multinational corporations owning teams engaged in fraud, soccer clubs money laundering drug money in latin america, etc.

What, and none of that ever applies to the NBA and your precious Rockets or the NFL and the, uh, Texans? Come off it man, sports isn't exactly the Virgin Mary yo! Its crooked, rigged, dirty, and corrupt. Its also a fun narrative to enjoy watching and following (hence the other 99%) and also a way to engage and relate to people all over the country and the world.

Quote:
Maybe for casual fans. For actual sport fans it is the other way around.

Easy with the ad hominem there Robsy my brotha, its not very nice

Old 12.05.2013, 03:04 PM   #3994
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I love ad hominem, especially cooked as grits with bacon and butter
Old 12.05.2013, 03:14 PM   #3995
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
What, and none of that ever applies to the NBA and your precious Rockets or the NFL and the, uh, Texans? Come off it man, sports isn't exactly the Virgin Mary yo! Its crooked, rigged, dirty, and corrupt. Its also a fun narrative to enjoy watching and following (hence the other 99%) and also a way to engage and relate to people all over the country and the world.

How many corruption scandals, high level ones, has international top shelf futbol had in the past 5 years? I mean MASSIVE scandals, drug running, corruption, fixed World Cup qualifiers? involving actual parliamentary members? At least 6 that I know of, and many more that I never heard of!

How many scandals have the Rockets been a part of since 1980? one, and it was a claim that the someone cheated getting the lottery pick that netted us Hakeem Olajuwon. NOT the same thing.

futbol has no instant replay, one single ref (plus ineffectual line judges that arbitrarily enforce the offsides penalties) which makes it very easy to corrupt. very easy to BUY.
Old 12.05.2013, 03:29 PM   #3996
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
How many corruption scandals, high level ones, has international top shelf futbol had in the past 5 years? I mean MASSIVE scandals, drug running, corruption, fixed World Cup qualifiers? involving actual parliamentary members? At least 6 that I know of, and many more that I never heard of!

How many scandals have the Rockets been a part of since 1980? one, and it was a claim that the someone cheated getting the lottery pick that netted us Hakeem Olajuwon. NOT the same thing.

futbol has no instant replay, one single ref (plus ineffectual line judges that arbitrarily enforce the offsides penalties) which makes it very easy to corrupt. very easy to BUY.

its not about the rockets, its about the NBA in general, which is NOTORIOUS for questionable officiating otherwise known as match-fixing. Its a fact of basketball, and EVERY NBA fan knows it. Same with the NFL, though the more obvious scandals have been less about officiating and more so related to teams outright cheating (Spygate) or playing totally dirty (Bountygate).. Again, if you somehow think that futbol is more corrupted than the American sports you follow, then you are either hopelessly dense or dangerously naive. Either, way, come off it man! Sports are hardly the appropriate manifestation of holier-than-thou smug self-righteousness..

Old 12.05.2013, 04:24 PM   #3997
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
damn gringo plague can always be counted on to drive the futbol conversation into the shitter.

anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
There have been 13 places for Europe for quite a while.

right. but thanks for the explanation of the changes--they are quite byzantine. indeed the last-minute change is a dick move.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2013, 04:54 PM   #3998
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Old 12.06.2013, 02:14 AM   #3999
demonrail666
invito al cielo

This man really doesn't like Chelsea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Qxe8cFIfo
Old 12.06.2013, 11:23 AM   #4000
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:

Yeah, football is just like society.

Football clubs laundering drug money in Latin America!? Whoaaaa, let's get rid of football then... surely that will free the Latin American countries of their drug problems.

Quote:

Comparing what is by far the biggest sport in the world to one single basketball team is NOT the same thing indeed.

Unfortunately, if there's illegal money to be made anywhere then there's crooks coming to get it. If there exist such thing as a professional sport that lures no criminals at all then it's a sport that doesn't matter.
150190197198199 200 201202203210250300 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth