Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Jonathan Kane/Chris Corsano/Rothko tonight at The Spitz
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.22.2006, 05:56 PM   #1
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Just came back from the gig and the first thing i have to point out is:Jonathan Kane kinda sucked so i left after the third song because it was starting to bore me deeply.The reason for this is that both him and his band sounded more like a rather competent and appreciated(most of the audience seemed to be visibly enjoying themselves) wedding band.Now,they weren't bad as such and towards the end of the first track i even seemed to embrace the dilated instrumental punk/blues fanfare but i prefer music to have a certain femininity to it.On the other hand,though,Chris Corsano was nothing short of phenomenal and this time i was transfigured by his performance more than the first time i saw him play with Haino.At one point he was joined by Christina Carter and they can only described as a ferocious pair,when put together.During the first piece i had my eyes firmly on his unbelievably fast hands.A ceramic bowl made an appearance on the drum skins so quickly and effectively that Satan must have been doing all the playing.The energy that his playing(and not just his drum playing) trasudes is a joy to behold and tonight has been a complete revelation for me .When La Carter got on stage they exchanged a few humorous words before letting rip into a crescendo of odd(to say the least) variations.It's not often that my mouth remains semi-open when i attend a gig but you could feel the audience was so into it,at the end they got a long and felt applause that was rightly deserved.If i had to describe what they sounded like i would say it was(somehow) folk music played by aliens and produced by a ferocious free improvisation(in the truest and most joyous meaning of the term) team.That good and unforgettable.Rothko to come in a minute..............

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I think Kane kicks ass. Ive never seen him live though.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 06:00 PM   #3
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
As i said,he wasn't bad as such.Perhaps,i was too taken with Corsano's performance that i just lost concentration.

Old 10.22.2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
The only corsano I've heard/seen was the clip on the ecstatic peace site. Looked pretty sick though.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 06:15 PM   #5
cottonrevenge
empty page

cottonrevenge has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Ok i won't deny corsono's talent at all, he's amazing but the times I've seen him he's come across as as a cocky punk ass, In his playing, AND offstage behavior. Anyone else seen this or the contrary? hEY I LOVE Miles Davis and he was a dick but I never had to witness it I guess.
cottonrevenge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 06:21 PM   #6
porkmarras
invito al cielo

He seemed like a really friendly chap to me.He also seems to love his chewing gum,bless him.

Old 10.22.2006, 06:28 PM   #7
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
At one point he was joined by Christina Carter and they can only described as a ferocious pair,when put together.

Neat, neat, neat Pork!
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2006, 12:56 AM   #8
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Rothko were more or less what i had expected,even though they are just that little less subdued-sounding live than they are on record.They have to be one of the most grateful bands in the history of music as they thanked us for being
there after every number in a shy and almost embarassed manner.The new songs sounded short but to the point.I kept on thinking about bands like Hood or Billy Mahonie throughout the set and that might have to do due to the fact that they seemed to do the maths very well as well as having good mastery of the more spectral elements of albums like 'Cold House' or 'The Cycle Of Days And Seasons'.Just before the last song,bass-playing chappy announced that the new album might never see the light of the day and i'm not sure what he meant by that.Do we need more Rothko in this world?Yes,of course we do!

Old 10.23.2006, 02:19 AM   #9
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonrevenge
Ok i won't deny corsono's talent at all, he's amazing but the times I've seen him he's come across as as a cocky punk ass, In his playing, AND offstage behavior. Anyone else seen this or the contrary? hEY I LOVE Miles Davis and he was a dick but I never had to witness it I guess.

I found the opposite to be honest. I talked to him after a show once and he seemed really nice. He even put up with this girl my friend knows who talked to him about shit for ages and then rang her friend in the US and made Chris Corsano say hello to him because they are both American....seriously. And he was really nice about it despite the fact that this girl is slightly mental.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2006, 02:53 AM   #10
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
That's good to hear you enjoyed Corsano. He does kick ass, doesn't he?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2006, 03:02 AM   #11
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting read. Can't wait to see Corsano in December.
Old 10.23.2006, 03:49 AM   #12
porkmarras
invito al cielo

It's Jason Pearce tonight.Yay!

Old 10.23.2006, 09:06 AM   #13
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
damn, i wish i could have seen the CC & CC jamfest
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth