Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Looking to start a cassette collection...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.18.2008, 09:37 PM   #1
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
& I was wondering where the best sites on the web were to do this. I tried looking through the Ecsatic Peace catalouge, but I wanted to get some advice from my fellow boardies first, seeing as this is the one place I knew would give honest feedback.

Any suggestions?
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 10:01 PM   #2
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
website? what?

we all had tape collections back in the day, and we never got on the internet to do it... BECAUSE IT HADN'T BEEN INVENTED YET.

how to create a badass cassette collection

1. buy a fuck load of these

2. copy all of your ipod onto the cassettes
3. ????
4. profit

m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 10:05 PM   #3
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Yeah, I've done that plenty. The reason I'm wanting sites, or online record shops, is because I'm looking to start an obscure & rarities collection.

I'm not going to copy what I already have on vinyl or CD to make a collection. Besides, this is a collection for my home stereo, not a mix-tape for my car stereo.
-George Carlin
Old 04.18.2008, 10:30 PM   #4
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
ebay, son
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 10:38 PM   #5
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
or....

you send me money - i send you rare/obscure cassettes.

Old 04.18.2008, 10:41 PM   #6
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

That Shonen Knife looks tempting.
-George Carlin
Old 04.18.2008, 10:51 PM   #7
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

KMFDM naive

This album was released in 1990. Three years later, a suit was filed and settled out-of-court over the unauthorized use of a sample. The song "Leibesleid" used a four-measure sample from "O Fortuna," the first section of Carmina Burana which is a work for orchestra and chorus composed by the late Carl Orff and first performed in 1937. Presumably, it was whomever holds the copyright to this work (Mr. Orff's heirs, I guess) that brought the legal action. The recording was withdrawn from sale in late 1993. Two versions of this of this disc exist. In 1992, WaxTrax! records filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy and were "rescued" by TVT records. The existing WaxTrax! catalog, with the label's UPC code and catalog numbers starting with "WAX" were withdrawn in 1993, and replaced with new stock bearing TVT's UPC code, logo, and catalog numbers starting with "TVT." The new TVT pressing of Naïve was probably only available for a few months of 1993 before being withdrawn due to the lawsuit. While the TVT version of this disc is presumably rarer, many collectors (myself included) try to put together a collection of the original out-of-print WaxTrax! pressings; there does not seem to be evidence that one version is more valuable than the other.

In the past month (December 2005), four copies sold on eBay, including three from the same seller. The price ranged from $75.95 to $37.00 with an average of about $60.50 plus $3.75 shipping.

_________
^^^ this guy is talking about the CD. i have not seen the cassettes on ebay in years.

Old 04.18.2008, 10:58 PM   #8
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

Old 04.18.2008, 11:06 PM   #9
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

ORIGINAL RELEASE (made in holland, bought in belgium) - not the US reissue

Old 04.18.2008, 11:08 PM   #10
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Go to your local thrift store. I'm sure they can't actually sell tapes for more than a dollar anymore.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 11:15 PM   #11
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

if you want random tapes from someones attic, go to the thrift store with a couple of dollars....

if you want stuff that was hard to find when it came out and has been out of print for 10 years, pm me.

Old 04.18.2008, 11:42 PM   #12
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1rr0r dash
if you want random tapes from someones attic, go to the thrift store with a couple of dollars....

if you want stuff that was hard to find when it came out and has been out of print for 10 years, pm me.

Now you're talking my language.

I might end up buying some of yr offers. I went ahead & bought a few things from Ecstatic Peace, but you keep posting these gems & I'll have no choice but to purchase some cassettes from you.
-George Carlin
Old 04.18.2008, 11:55 PM   #13
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
You should probably just Google the following phrases:

"cassette underground"
"hometaping network"
"hometaping is killing music"
"shitty tapes"
"cassette only label"
"two tracks is all you need"

and see what you come up with. I'm not kidding at all. A lot of great stuff did come out via cassette only back in the day. I have piles of it in my garage, and can't even imagine getting the damn things married back to the right cases let alone "filed" in any sort of order. All the poor sound quality of MP3s without a digital jukebox to alphabatize it for you.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 11:58 PM   #14
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

studio quality dub -

side A: front line assembly - tactical neural implant
side B: the absolutely impossible-to-find fla side project will: pearl of great price

Old 04.19.2008, 12:01 AM   #15
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
You should probably just Google the following phrases:

"cassette underground"
"hometaping network"
"hometaping is killing music"
"shitty tapes"
"cassette only label"
"two tracks is all you need"

and see what you come up with. I'm not kidding at all. A lot of great stuff did come out via cassette only back in the day. I have piles of it in my garage, and can't even imagine getting the damn things married back to the right cases let alone "filed" in any sort of order. All the poor sound quality of MP3s without a digital jukebox to alphabatize it for you.

Thanks for the phrasings Dead-Air. I tried googling earlier w/ a different phrase, not much luck though. & I plan on keeping somewhat of an order w/ these cassettes, 'cuz I've suffered the same misfortune before.
-George Carlin
Old 04.19.2008, 12:03 AM   #16
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
KMFDM naive

This album was released in 1990. Three years later, a suit was filed and settled out-of-court over the unauthorized use of a sample. The song "Leibesleid" used a four-measure sample from "O Fortuna," the first section of Carmina Burana which is a work for orchestra and chorus composed by the late Carl Orff and first performed in 1937. Presumably, it was whomever holds the copyright to this work (Mr. Orff's heirs, I guess) that brought the legal action. The recording was withdrawn from sale in late 1993. Two versions of this of this disc exist. In 1992, WaxTrax! records filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy and were "rescued" by TVT records. The existing WaxTrax! catalog, with the label's UPC code and catalog numbers starting with "WAX" were withdrawn in 1993, and replaced with new stock bearing TVT's UPC code, logo, and catalog numbers starting with "TVT." The new TVT pressing of Naïve was probably only available for a few months of 1993 before being withdrawn due to the lawsuit. While the TVT version of this disc is presumably rarer, many collectors (myself included) try to put together a collection of the original out-of-print WaxTrax! pressings; there does not seem to be evidence that one version is more valuable than the other.

In the past month (December 2005), four copies sold on eBay, including three from the same seller. The price ranged from $75.95 to $37.00 with an average of about $60.50 plus $3.75 shipping.

_________
^^^ this guy is talking about the CD. i have not seen the cassettes on ebay in years.

i used to have that cd! damn i wish i hadn't let someone steal it cause it sucked so bad.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2008, 12:11 AM   #17
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i used to have that cd! damn i wish i hadn't let someone steal it cause it sucked so bad.

haha! yeah, cheesy EBM industrial...

i can't help it.... it was the club scene. cheesy in the early 90s, cheesy today... it was still fun to dance to....

but also darker and more political than most "techno" now. fights between nazi skinheads and industrial club kids used to break out at their shows. lyrics like

"black mon
white mon
RIP THE SYSTEM!!"

over distorted reggae dub beats and sampled guitars...? how could you not dig it?

--
i know what you mean though... i used to have a copy of this

... and it did in fact suck pretty hard. kinda the point - they knew they sucked... they were never afraid to say it on stage or on record.

but standing in the front row when this dude

smacks a nazi punk upside the head with the heavy end of a guitar - that's entertainment.

Old 04.19.2008, 12:36 AM   #18
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Now you're talking my language.

I might end up buying some of yr offers. I went ahead & bought a few things from Ecstatic Peace, but you keep posting these gems & I'll have no choice but to purchase some cassettes from you.

well...that's the extant of what i could ethically SELL you... i'm not even sure i should be asking money for a pearl of great price dub, as hard as it is to find... but there's a bunch of other stuff i'd be happy to just GIVE you... if you want it... like this authentic 90s riot grrrl mixtape ripped from the stack of fresh vinyl i just sold !@#$%!

Old 04.19.2008, 12:50 AM   #19
forkimified
bad moon rising

forkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's asses
I actually got about half of my Sonic Youth albums on tape from Value Village
forkimified is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2008, 12:51 AM   #20
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
well...that's the extant of what i could ethically SELL you... i'm not even sure i should be asking money for a pearl of great price dub, as hard as it is to find... but there's a bunch of other stuff i'd be happy to just GIVE you... if you want it... like this authentic 90s riot grrrl mixtape ripped from the stack of fresh vinyl i just sold !@#$%!

You really should give Rob first crack at that one. I'm sure he'd love to jack off to some porn with that playing in the background!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth