Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page It's Monk Time!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.02.2006, 05:16 PM   #1
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Look what I found on youtube! Performances from these forgotten forefathers of punk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2VIc0qixx8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3bMVcuiv6Qhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuiT...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0X6y...elated&search=

for those interested.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 05:26 PM   #2
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't forgotten

how he used to get up and twirl around with the junk in his blood, spinning until well past dizzy and then going and sitting right back at the piano to throw down some musical lines.

and what happened to him like it had happened to Bird earlier...

In August 1951, New York City police searched a parked car occupied by Monk and friend Bud Powell. The police found narcotics in the car, presumed to have belonged to Powell. Monk refused to testify against his friend, so the police confiscated his New York City Cabaret Card. Without the all-important cabaret card he was unable to play in any New York venue where liquor was served, and this severely restricted his ability to perform for several crucial years. Monk spent most of the early and mid-1950s composing, recording, and performing at theaters and out-of-town gigs. - wikipedia

There's some documentary on him that I used to check out of the library that is really good. I suppose there are probably several documentaries out there.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 05:48 PM   #3
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks!
I never thought to look for Monk videos. Nice.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Excellent. I love this band to the point of insanity. There's a film coming out, here's is a link to some information: http://www.playloud.org/monks.html

They're also playing London.

I was going to post this at some point, but I assumed you heathens would be impervious to the wonders of the Monks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
One of them lives here; they just played a film festival with a couple of longstanding local 60s beat freaks playing in the band. I could not get in.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 06:34 PM   #6
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
They're good. I should find some of their stuff.

I'm still having trouble believing this is from the 60's. I mean the 60's!

Old 10.02.2006, 06:36 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy

I have problems believing it exists at all. But I'm very glad it does. You heard Link Wray by any chance? I was astounded that that was the 50's (or possibly the early 60's, my memory's not so good). And Lonnie Donegan as well, check him out.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.02.2006, 06:36 PM   #8
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Black Monk Time is pretty easy to get now as a reissue.
Old 10.02.2006, 06:39 PM   #9
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
and here I thought we would discuss thelonious....
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 06:42 PM   #10
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
. You heard Link Wray by any chance? I was astounded that that was the 50's (or possibly the early 60's, my memory's not so good). And Lonnie Donegan as well, check him out.

I've heard a small clip of Rumble, that's about it I'm afraid.

Though I disagree with you regarding the Shaggs (but let's not get started on that again), I'll trust you on this one (I've always had a thing for 50's and 60's rock and roll).

Old 10.02.2006, 06:45 PM   #11
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
haha

anhaha

atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2006, 06:59 PM   #12
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Monks Of Doom.
Whoa.
Haven't thought about them for a long time.
I saw them in Chicago in 1992. They were good, but they were no Monks.
Old 10.02.2006, 10:12 PM   #13
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
the monks are mad! I love how everthing is pretty much just pounding rhythm. Though I'm not too surprsised ... ok i was about to say i wasn't surprised they were form the 60's, then i saw them poking and flicking that guitar on the beat club clip.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2006, 01:36 PM   #14
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
i just found out that they are playing in Berlin on October 23rd... with guest appearances from Mark E. Smith, and Ana Da Silva and Gina Birch from the Raincoats!... and then Alec Empire as DJ...

DOCUMENTARY, RECORD RELEASE PARTY & THE MONKS LIVE
at
VOLKSBÜHNE BERLIN
on Monday October 23, 2006

PRESS CONFERENCE / RECORD RELEASE
with official presentation of record
“silver monk time”
7 :30 PM

SCREENING
of documentary
“monks – the transatlantic feedback”
8 :30 PM

MONKS LIVE
in Germany for the first time after 40 years
with guest appearances from “silver monk time”
11:00 PM

Peter Hein (Fehlfarben)
Schorsch Kamerun (Goldenen Zitronen)
Ana da Silva & Gina Birch (Raincoats)
Mark E. Smith (The Fall)

DJ Alec Empire

i love 'black monk time', but i have no idea how they sound nowadays... and will they have monk hair?

and yes, they are also playing in London and Zurich in a few days:

other MONKS live shows without guest appearances are

in London on October 19, 2006

in Zurich on October 21, 2006 (with screening of the film after the show)

o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2006, 01:45 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Egads, that's a good line-up. Mark E Smith and Alec Empire on the same bill, let alone the fucking Monks playing. Jeepers. Were I not so very, very lazy, I'd auction a leg for a plane ticket.

Quote:
Old 10.13.2006, 01:46 PM   #16
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quite a line-up, indeed.
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2006, 04:00 AM   #17
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
mooooooonks

will listen to, when am home
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2006, 05:16 PM   #18
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy

True, but then again they're so very 60's. There's this demented, wild eyed, 60s pop thing going on at the same time as all the stuff that doesn't quite make sense till punk.

I love those clips so much, that version of Monk Chant is mind-blowing. Actually I think it's the only version recorded before the reuinion.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2006, 09:56 PM   #19
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
That Black MOnks Time album is a classic. So original and unique from everything else coming out at the time (keep in mind they didnt hear american radio in the 60s). They had a really interesting way of experimenting with feedback that has always caught my attention. I'd kill to see these guys live.

COME TO AMERICA MONKS
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth