Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Why did Unwound break up?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.07.2008, 01:49 PM   #21
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
That was a complete typo. I meant to say "dumbshits like the Rolling Stones" not "dumbshits like SY." That is why I made the GMKU comment.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2008, 06:28 PM   #22
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
i miss unwound.
Old 02.21.2008, 04:45 AM   #23
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Since this thread got bumped (I kinda miss them too, especially coz I've never seen them live) I'll add a request:
beside youtube vids, does anyone have decent unwound videos to share?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2008, 03:04 PM   #24
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
I had one awhile back of them opening for someone...I think during their "Challenge" touring. It unfortunately got lost when I built a new computer and swapped out HDDs.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2008, 03:07 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
unwound broke up to break my heart
Old 02.21.2008, 03:08 PM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to the entire leaves turn inside you on a road trip back from el paso a couple opf weeks ago.

wow, fucking wow I love that thing

leaves turn inside you and Muddy waters I'M READY back to back, perfect for texas desert landscape
Old 02.21.2008, 03:31 PM   #27
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
That was a complete typo. I meant to say "dumbshits like the Rolling Stones" not "dumbshits like SY." That is why I made the GMKU comment.
No, you wrote it right the first time. I edited in my quote it for a chuckle.

My own, apparently.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2011, 07:15 PM   #28
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I was pretty good friends with Justin and Vern at the time (still consider them that, but can't really claim to be in touch, a little with Vern, but not really much) and worked at the same club Thekla (Vern was a bartender, Justin and I were both djs). So I guess I sort of know.

The "official" reason was that Vern's wife didn't want him to go on tour anymore and wanted him to spend more time with her and their daughter. Given that they divorced not too far after that, and the band stayed apart, I don't think it was really the reason.

The stuff about Justin being too big of a drunk is not bloodly likely. Vern could always drink him under the table, and they are both so fucntional when they're wasted that I don't think it could have hurt the band much at that point. I do think they were pretty sick of each other after all of that touring though, and I think they were more sick of touring period.

Justin I think was pretty tired of being in a band that everybody loves so much. He's a lot of fun in person, but he's really not into being a star at all and the introvert thing was never an act with him. Given that he has hardly made any music publicly at all since then, while Vern has wound up playing in the Fitz of Depression, it's pretty clear which of them was really more tired of it all.

They're both living in Oly again, and so is Brandt. Sarah's in Portland. It wouldn't surprise me if they did reunite at some point, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. They left with an album that the Wire compared to Zen Arcade and Double Nickles on the dime, I kind of think they wanted to stop at that high point. But those guys are way full of surprises.

Talk of strife between them is kind of silly because they never talked shit about each other or argued in public. That doesn't mean they didn't get tired of being two inches from each other for months at a time, but Vern spoke very publicly in Oly about Sarah and Justin being two of his best friends when he quit.

Wow, what a neat post.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2011, 02:39 AM   #29
krischanski
children of satan

krischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asses
Many years ago I played a gig with my band in Dresden supporting Unwound. They were really kind. But the guitar amp blowed up, so Justin started to scream laying on the floor, while the rest tried to play regular songs. That was really weird. But astonishingly they did not enjoyed the gig, maybe because there were so few people at the concert. Or because the support band was so bad.
____
krischanski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2012, 10:43 PM   #30
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
http://stereogum.com/1201722/turntab...-lund-unwound/

to answer the question in sara lund's words.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2012, 08:24 AM   #31
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
cant believe I missed this thread back in the day. Thank you for that post Dead-Air.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth