Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Meat Puppets Reunite
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2006, 11:04 AM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
For the first time in more than a decade, Curt and Cris Kirkwood will work together on a new album by influential rock act Meat Puppets. The sibling duo will soon begin rehearsing new material as a precursor to hitting the studio.

"I've got the album written already. I'm going to record it on my own and then see who wants to put it out," Curt Kirkwood tells Billboard.com. "It's epic. It's big Meat Puppets stuff. I would say 'sonic pyramids made out of garbage.' I honestly think these are good songs. I played some of them for [Cris] over the phone yesterday. I don't think this is going to be some sort of 'toss off' album." Song titles include "Enemy Love Song," "I'm Not You" and "New Leaf."

Cris Kirkwood's tumultuous last 10 years have been well documented. A deadly heroin addiction led to the bassist getting into a violent altercation with a security guard, getting shot and subsequently serving 18 months in prison. The Puppets released one album without him, 2000's "Golden Lies," before folding.

"I haven't seen my brother since like 1998, but I'm talking to him a lot," Curt says. "He's [been] clean for more than two years and he's all raring to go. Cris' resurrection is no less than miraculous -- it's like a Lazarus-type thing. I was just like, 'If Cris is back, I know his frame of mind.' If he's upright and walking, it's hard to knock him down."

Although he was asked to participate, original Meat Puppets drummer Derrick Bostrom will not be involved in the reunion. Primus drummer Tim Alexander will replace him behind the kit.

"My brother and my son, Elmo, tried out [Alexander] yesterday," Curt says. "Tim and Cris have the same dentist, and the dentist said, 'Hey, I've got this guy...' Ironically, that was the last tour that Cris and I did, opening for Primus [in 1995]. I think it's going to be a really decent take on the whole thing."

The plan for the Kirkwoods and Alexander is to record the album and then hit the road. "The fact that I don't have a contract is actually better, because I don't need to hear anybody else's opinion about the Meat Puppets at this point in my life," Curt says. "It's fun to see where this will fit in, in this present state of the business."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1002423777

Im so excited, i love the meat puppets and the thought of them touring is amazing. I've never seen any meat puppets songs done live. PLus Im sure if the brothers are working together it wont be a bad record.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2006, 11:07 AM   #2
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
Thats fucking great news!! I was just about to post about the meat puppets, searching for fans on this forum....but yeah thats really exciting. But wow....i never ever knew Cris was a junkie...i knew they smoked and snorted.....but heroin...
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2006, 12:27 PM   #3
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, cris was in bad shape for a while. his gf OD'd at his house and there was a bunch of other shit. curt didn't talk to him for a long time...

good news, though. the pups are one of my favorite bands, and i'd really like to see them play. too bad derrick's not going to play with them.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them a few times and they were always great. Last time I saw them they FINALLY played Enchanted Pork Fist, my alltime favorite Meat Puppets tune. I was too young to see them (never played all ages until AFTER I turned 21, oh the irony) for many years, but made up for it in the early 90s.
If they tour I will check it out for sure, whether I like the new LP or not.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2006, 12:50 PM   #5
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
Security guards are allowed to carry guns?
Old 04.29.2006, 02:11 PM   #6
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to see them.
Old 04.29.2006, 02:38 PM   #7
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
curt has an album called "Snow" out. i've heard some of the songs on it, it's pretty good.

Old 04.29.2006, 10:58 PM   #8
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
have they announced any tour dates yet?
Old 05.02.2006, 01:30 PM   #9
Mudride
little trouble girl

Mudride has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
this is certainly great news !
Mudride is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 01:38 PM   #10
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
alskjfalsjfesaofewqohwafnadskfhdsfbsdakjfhsadiofhd fhiHOUYF(*&SFY(#WBSFHSKDFH(W*RHOWHFWOEIfh
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 01:38 PM   #11
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
you just made my fucking year
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 01:46 PM   #12
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
here's this cool site where u can download concert bootlegs of the meat puppets, if u dont already know about it.

http://www.wohlers.org/puppets/
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 02:55 PM   #13
sonikold
children of satan

not yet, curt's still finishing up his solo tour:

April 30: Albuquerque, N.M. (El Rey Theatre)
May 2: San Diego (Cane's)
May 3-4: Los Angeles (House of Blues)
May 5-6: San Francisco (Fillmore)
May 8: Portland, Ore. (Roseland)
May 9: Seattle (Showbox)

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth