Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page New Sonic Youth single on Sub Pop
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.23.2006, 10:04 PM   #41
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
It's "ridiculous" in the same way someone would say, Charlie Mingus was too old to play bass....or Mayo Thompson is too old to sing.
I could list 10324 other examples but what relevance does it have to....well, anything

as ridiculous as you may think, it's the reason mark ibold & jim o'rourke were/are in sonic youth to begin with. kim's never going to want to be a full time primary bass player, she's said it before.

also, mayo doesn't tour anymore(or much). he has other things he does (like teaching) and doesn't do red krayola very much, certainly not full time. also the others that play in red krayola have dedicated themselves to other bands and careers, so comparing kim & mayo is stupid to begin with.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 10:07 PM   #42
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
what the heck... i thought you were for stickin with geffen/major (chris) so ive been almost preaching to the choir of.. you... except we obviously have some opposing views... and no, jesus, like chris has said EP could probably not cover the costs of SY touring, and pressing enough records to keep them in stock for more than a week...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 10:08 PM   #43
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
thats another thing, thanks fro reminding me.. "pirating".
to quote khchris.. "WHO CARES" it isn't harming anyone, and the label is already rolling in enough moneyto feed the entire continent of North America for a year. so why the fuck should average joe not download yr stinkin album or burn copies withoutpaying royalties or fines? fuck you, riaa. (ps, kh, you know exactly what i mean, im sure alot of people agree with me in that, they would prefer to not support the riaa/pmrc/whatever else. its the same as say, being vegetarian/vegan or buying organic foods or not supporting sweatshop labour, or anything else like that)

well, did you vote for bill clinton or al gore, or did you vote for a bush?

let's talk hypocrisy(not directing at you, this is for everyone).
Old 07.23.2006, 10:14 PM   #44
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
was that question directed at me? because a) im not an american citizen, b) i'm not of legal voting age, and c) i have left-wing political views...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 10:26 PM   #45
khchris(original)
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
was that question directed at me? because a) im not an american citizen, b) i'm not of legal voting age, and c) i have left-wing political views...

no, which is why i put "(not directed at you)".

but most of the sy fans here that vote have voted for clinton and al gore (including myself), but i never was "anti-pmrc" to begin with.
Old 07.23.2006, 11:50 PM   #46
Jesus
empty page

Jesus has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris(original)
2. FONTANA DISTRIBUTION, not Universal, is distributing Ecstatic Peace.
Nice detective work "original"
Fontana spontana..Universal is part of the labels associated. Don't believe me? check out the the new BYOP album...right on the back : "Ecstatic Peace/Universal"

Quote:
3. they didn't press that many syrs out. if you saw it in a major record store in los angeles, that doesn't mean you can find it in jackson, mississippi. also, how would they tour? do you think SY have enough money to pay for techs, huge trucks, airfare to tour through Ecstatic Peace??? think again.

That doesn't mean I would necessarily find "Rather Ripped" in Jackson Mississippi either...so, what's your point?
and yes I do think SY and Ecstatic Peace could afford the cost of touring. Stereolab is doing it with Too Pure and the show I saw them at last year was sold out. Sonic Youth is playing that same club next month. Interesting isn't it?

Quote:
4. Sub Pop sell alot of pretty popular acts, same with Matador. i might be willing to bet that even INTERPOL can draw in just as many people than SY right now because they're so popular.

Again, I ask what could Sub Pop and Matador do that Ecstatic Peace with distribution by Universal or this Fontana couldn't do...Are you avoiding the question?
and yes "original" I think many of us are aware that Interpol are popular

Quote:
5. Dino released their first and SY released BMR...babe, this was 85 & 86. both are older and wiser. matador is a much complete record label these days. comparing gerard's business from 1986 to 2006 it absolutely retarded. (nice namedrop btw) if they can manage INTERPOL, i'm quite sure they can do fine with SY. JSBE is still on matador and from my understanding, sy don't have any kind of falling out with gerard. i think matador speaks for itself. they have some very fine bands and have run the label pretty well, being able to distribute their acts and promote them pretty well(just look at JSBE).

nope..JSBE are no longer on Matador and haven't been for at least a couple years. haha. I'm not sure about you, but if I had a falling out with previous business relationship, I don't think I would return. Sounds logical right? Hey more power to Matador but you're insane and naive to think Sonic Youth would sign with them.
Quote:
6. if geffen was happy and content w/ sy, they would've renewed their deal with SY before or during SONIC NURSE in order to keep from getting in a bidding war with SY. by allowing sy to finish out their contract, it says one of two things: 1. they don't want to renew because sy probably aren't making alot of money for them and/or 2. they're not sure sy can sell. regardless, geffen letting sy finish out their contract without a proposal for a renewed contract shows geffen's faith(or lack thereof) in sy to make money for them.

Quite frankly, I could care less if Sonic Youth stays on Geffen. I don't know what kind of partnership they have with that label nor do I care. I'm just saying if I was David Geffen it would be hard to let go of a band with such a consistent and dedicated fan base. The point is this: can Sonic Youth be able to continue with the same moderate success they have on their own with Ecstatic Peace...and the answer is without a doubt, yes

Quote:
7. stereolab is still a tiny band in comparison to SY. everyone knows sy, about a third of the people who know or heard of sy know of stereolab.

That's debatable
You seem quite confident with that assumption.
Do you think only 1/3 of the people on here know who Stereolab is. I would bet more.

You are one strange kid, "original"
Jesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 12:12 AM   #47
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I know who Stereolab are and I know one of them died recently, but I haven't heard any of their music.
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 01:32 AM   #48
khchris(original)
100%

"Fontana spontana..Universal is part of the labels associated. Don't believe me? check out the the new BYOP album...right on the back : "Ecstatic Peace/Universal"

that may be old information/news. currently, they are distributed by FONTANA, not Universal. whether or not Fontana is owned by Universal remains a question.

http://www.ecstaticpeace.com/distributors.php
straight off the ECSTATIC PEACE website. hope this clears things up for you!

"and yes I do think SY and Ecstatic Peace could afford the cost of touring. Stereolab is doing it with Too Pure and the show I saw them at last year was sold out. Sonic Youth is playing that same club next month. Interesting isn't it?"

no, they couldn't. stereolab does not have the kind of touring equipment & amps that SY tour with. also, SY tour with their families. like comparing a matchbox car to a real car. Stereolab will never sell 200K records, but SY do. I'm guessing that you're in the UK and it would not surprise me to see Stereolab bring in the same amount of people to a club that SY can in the UK or Europe. but Stereolab cannot draw in as many people as SY can in Los Angeles or NY. different areas, different fanbase. did you not know this happens? i thought stereolab had broken up, last album i bought was cobra phases...people still listen to stereolab?(yawn)

"Again, I ask what could Sub Pop and Matador do that Ecstatic Peace with distribution by Universal or this Fontana couldn't do...Are you avoiding the question?"

money to promote, money to tour with, money...money...money. i think you're smart enough to understand that ECSTATIC PEACE does not have the money that Geffen does to promote the music and finance the tour.

"nope..JSBE are no longer on Matador and haven't been for at least a couple years. haha. I'm not sure about you, but if I had a falling out with previous business relationship, I don't think I would return. Sounds logical right? Hey more power to Matador but you're insane and naive to think Sonic Youth would sign with them."

matador does well with INTERPOL, who probably will bring in more audience and can finance their tours, so matador should be fine. still stuck in 85? you don't know shit about gerard and you don't know why they were even on homestead in the first place. what was the "falling out" that SY had with gerard that you claim???

"Quite frankly, I could care less if Sonic Youth stays on Geffen. I don't know what kind of partnership they have with that label nor do I care. I'm just saying if I was David Geffen it would be hard to let go of a band with such a consistent and dedicated fan base. The point is this: can Sonic Youth be able to continue with the same moderate success they have on their own with Ecstatic Peace...and the answer is without a doubt, yes"

answer is no. you'd have to be stupid or naive to think SY can run Ecstatic Peace, press their own records, promote their own records, and finance their own tours. that's about as stupid as one gets. but hey, you're young and you don't know any better, but when you move out of your parents house, i'm sure you'll understand that it takes money to make money.

"Do you think only 1/3 of the people on here know who Stereolab is. I would bet more."

my dad knows who sy are, but he has no idea who stereolab are. you're asking SY fans on a board, which 99.9% who have heard of stereolab.

do you think 99.9% of the people who have heard of SY know who Stereolab are? of course not. there probably were alot of Pearl Jam fans who had not heard of SY before, or Neil Young fans who never heard of SY fans until they saw them with Neil Young, but i guarantee you that 1/2 those fans had never heard of Stereolab.

You are one strange kid, "original"[/quote]

that's nice.
Old 07.24.2006, 02:08 AM   #49
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I meant to put a little asterisk next to Johnny Cash's name indicating that even in his later years while he was still alive, he was still able to make music and tour. I'm not stupid and I's sure ain't ignant, I know Johnny Cash be ded.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 04:03 AM   #50
Jesus
empty page

Jesus has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Thank you so much "original" for responding and making my point even more valid.
1 rep point from me to you.
God bless you my son
Jesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 04:30 AM   #51
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
I thought I told you to keep your fucking mouth shut!
Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 04:31 AM   #52
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
JESUS VS SATAN!!

kickass.
Old 07.24.2006, 04:33 AM   #53
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
You know who's side I'm on.
Old 07.24.2006, 04:33 AM   #54
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
of course.
Old 07.24.2006, 09:03 AM   #55
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
allright, allright.....we'll see....

more info about acctuall single???

thanks moshe!
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 09:20 AM   #56
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
Honest question: isn't the money for touring kinda beside the point since Geffen takes that out of what SY make off their albums in the end? Does it matter if they're spending it up front or just getting it taken out of their salaries? Or is that the question: whether or not Ecstatic Peace would have the money to do so up front?
Lipslikewindows is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 10:39 AM   #57
khchris(original)
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipslikewindows
Honest question: isn't the money for touring kinda beside the point since Geffen takes that out of what SY make off their albums in the end? Does it matter if they're spending it up front or just getting it taken out of their salaries? Or is that the question: whether or not Ecstatic Peace would have the money to do so up front?

kinda hard to promote a concert or album with no money.

no money = no promotion

this is the reason why indies can't compete with major labels...the amount of money majors put into promotions go past what the band even makes off of their contracts.
Old 07.24.2006, 10:41 AM   #58
khchris(original)
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
Thank you so much "original" for responding and making my point even more valid.
1 rep point from me to you.
God bless you my son

what point did i validate?(thx for the rep point)

don't feel bad if i'm correcting you, you probably just didn't know any better. no hard feelings.
Old 07.24.2006, 03:41 PM   #59
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I'd love to see a real Jesus vs. Satan fight.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 04:35 PM   #60
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
Cool as fuck can't wait

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth