Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Best Movies of the year.... so far
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.20.2011, 10:04 AM   #21
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yeah.
Old 09.20.2011, 11:06 PM   #22
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I'm still trying to understand what you liked so much about Insidious... ?

I'm typically not a fan of horror movies, but when I find one I like, it has a certain stillness and atmosphere to it. Ti West's "House of the Devil" is one. Alot of Kiyoshi Kurosawa, especially "Pulse". So there's my horror tendencies.

With "Insidious", I appreciated the stillness of the first half, punctuated by some chilling images (whatever that was standing quietly in the corner of the baby's room.... the demonic voice that is caught on the baby monitor etc). The first half got me invested in what was going on and establishes itself as an atmospheric, baroque ghost tale. The second half, as i said above, goes pretty bat shit crazy in this netherworld of nightmares and goes to some pretty disturbing places IMO. The whole thing worked for me. I was thrilled from beginning to end.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2011, 07:20 AM   #23
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51
I'm typically not a fan of horror movies, but when I find one I like, it has a certain stillness and atmosphere to it. Ti West's "House of the Devil" is one. Alot of Kiyoshi Kurosawa, especially "Pulse". So there's my horror tendencies.

With "Insidious", I appreciated the stillness of the first half, punctuated by some chilling images (whatever that was standing quietly in the corner of the baby's room.... the demonic voice that is caught on the baby monitor etc). The first half got me invested in what was going on and establishes itself as an atmospheric, baroque ghost tale. The second half, as i said above, goes pretty bat shit crazy in this netherworld of nightmares and goes to some pretty disturbing places IMO. The whole thing worked for me. I was thrilled from beginning to end.

WELLL maybe the part where you said "I'm typically not a fan of horror movies" explains a bit to me. BUT if you picked up on the amazing atmosphere of House of the Devil, then we're thinking alike there.

I guess what happened was this. The first half of Insidious, we both saw this really good creepy well done movie. The second half I was like "OMG how did that fuck THAT up??????" but you actually enjoyed it. So if anything, we're just differing on our opinions of like 40 mins. Haha.
Old 09.21.2011, 02:28 PM   #24
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Insidious was good like you guys said the first half of it. The other was just bland, it was as if they did not know how to finish the story.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2011, 02:41 PM   #25
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by static-harmony
Insidious was good like you guys said the first half of it. The other was just bland, it was as if they did not know how to finish the story.

exactly what I felt. Like halfway thru Wan was like "y'know what? I'm gonna let a 4 year old finish writing this thing."
Old 09.22.2011, 05:41 AM   #26
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses
I think I've seen only one movie made this year, and I really liked it so it kinda fits in the category:

Aki Kaurismäki: Le Havre
Old 09.26.2011, 11:43 PM   #27
Garrudae
empty page

Garrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's assesGarrudae kicks all y'all's asses
Im really sorry I didnt see this post for some reason. Happy New Year to you too I hope youll have a wonderful year and the best of everything, especially good health. Without that, the rest really doesnt matter, does it? Obviously the same goes for you Lorrayne - have a great one Hope everything goes according to plan.
Garrudae is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2011, 12:57 PM   #28
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
enjoyed Midnight in Paris
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2011, 11:35 PM   #29
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
re-organzing a bit since I've seen two spectacular films in the last week:

1. Drive (Refn)- the best nighttime LA crime film since "Heat"
2. Road To Nowhere (Hellman)
3. Contagion (Soderbergh)- ranks with some of his best work and the first hour is brilliant... cold, terrifying and mesmerizing
4. Stake Land (Mickle)
5. Myth of the American Sleepover (Mitchell)
6. Insidious (Wan)
7. Carancho (Trapero)

Newly reorganized 10/14:

1. Drive
2. Road To Nowhere
3. Contagion
4. Stake Land
5. Myth of the American Sleepover
6. *The Ides of March (Clooney)- actor Clooney is quickly becoming a cerebral director with this political drama that uses classicism and strong acting
7. Insidious
8. *Buck (Mehill)- fantastic documentary about the real life horse whisperer- not only is the man himself a fascinating subject, but the 20 minute "talk" with a dangerous horse is spectacular
9. Carancho
Old 10.15.2011, 12:36 PM   #30
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Drive is my favorite at this point. Have a lot to catch up on. I enjoyed 50-50 but it was overhyped.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:07 PM   #31
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

Quote:
Newly reorganized 10/14:

1. Drive
2. Road To Nowhere
3. Contagion
4. Stake Land
5. Myth of the American Sleepover
6. *The Ides of March (Clooney)- actor Clooney is quickly becoming a cerebral director with this political drama that uses classicism and strong acting
7. Insidious
8. *Buck (Mehill)- fantastic documentary about the real life horse whisperer- not only is the man himself a fascinating subject, but the 20 minute "talk" with a dangerous horse is spectacular
9. Carancho

Newly re-organized 10/16. guess i should've waited a day so many great new films out there

1. Drive
2. Road To Nowhere
3. Contagion
4. Stake Land
*5. 50/50 (Levine)- for the first 30 minutes, the film upholds the Apatow brand of confronting adult themes with childish humor, then it morphs into something shattering and great
6. Myth of the American Sleepover
7. The Ides of March
8. Insidious
9. Buck
10. Carancho
Old 01.07.2012, 12:35 AM   #32
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

Quote:
Feel free to constantly change, re-order and add to your lists in this thread.

Pretty lackluster so far, but the best of 2011 so far-

Stake Land- terrific micro-indie vampire/zombie horror film that hits the right amount of tension and human commection

The Myth of the American Sleepover- wonderful debut of a great new talent that captures that hazy, awkward time of summer in our teenage years when hanging out seemed so momentous

Road To Nowhere- Monte Hellman's pandora's box of a film that remains elusive and sexy

Insidious- Goes pretty bat-shit crazy in the end and I loved every minute of it

Carancho- Pablo Trapero is a great talent- see his "Lion's Den" or "Crane World"- and this twisting crime film about ambulance chasing lawyers and doctors feels like early Tarantino or Scorsese with its elaborate tracking shots and explosive violence

Ok pretty much my final list for the year after 175+ films:

1. Drive (Refn)
2. Shame (McQueen)
3. Martha Marcy May Marlene (Durkin)
4. Take Shelter (Nichols)
5. Road To Nowhere (Hellman)
6. Contagion (Soderbergh)
7. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Alfredson)
8. Stake Land (Mickle)
9. 50/50 (Levine)
10. Rapt (Belveaux)
11. The Ides of March (Clooney)
12. Myth of the American Sleepover (Mitchell)
13. Hugo (Scorsese)
14. Senna (Kapadia)
15. Insidious (Wan)
16. Buck (Meehl)
17. Carancho (Trapero)
18. The Robber (Heisenberg)
Old 01.09.2012, 02:45 AM   #33
littlepriest
little trouble girl

littlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asses
Jack and Jill
littlepriest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2012, 11:54 AM   #34
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
went to see Drive, I thought it was shiiiiiiittty. needed the services of a screenwriter. the 2 "actors" as well, Katie Holmes, esp. very very lame
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth