Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page All You Uni Kids!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.28.2007, 07:19 PM   #41
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous

over 4th of july weekend last year i had some beer from Aldi's called north star (don't ever buy it) that tasted like fucking rotten wine cooler.

Too late, I already have (tried it, not bought it).

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2007, 07:21 PM   #42
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the reason most people you know like big brother & say your music is shit because that is what most people in the world are like, and going to university WILL NOT help you escape them, in fact it's like the opposite, you'll get people trying to intellectualise their vacuity and their like of rubbish things. this is especially the case if you try to keep the company of so-called (and as i type this i grit my teeth) "creative" people.

I take your point T&B and I seen the error of my ways quite some time ago. But I suppose one has to maintain certain delusions..

I guess I like the company of 'freaks', the unpredictability of what comes out of their mouths (although this diminishes after time with everyone). I like to have interesting conversations with people. I suppose by "Creative" people I mean people Creative in spirit. The older I get the more I realise how absolutely boring people are (and I suppose I am too in the eyes of many people). Far from getting depressed about it, I think it helps you to appreciate your friends.
Old 03.28.2007, 07:25 PM   #43
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
I understand...Part of me would have liked to have gone for that whole Oxford/Cambridge/Durham thing, but i know I would have hated it. I love being around creative, interesting people. What really made the decision for me was hanging out with my friend (who is in Cardiff Uni) and being really unimpressed by the students. I always thought Uni would be full of interlectuals and i could sit all up talking about obscure music, listening to Glenn Branca records. As it turns they are a bunch of boring dumbarses that know nothing outside of who won Big Brother. This Uni seemed to be different and seemed to be attracting (mainly because of the Art, Drama and Music courses) people who hopefully will be a bit of fun.

I think there comes a time when you have to put aside taste (or at least not put such an emphasis on it) when it comes to the company you choose to keep. I've met people who've had so-called "good taste", or at least I thought so, but I would never want to be around them for an extended period of time. On the other hand, I've met people who've had pretty bland taste in most things related to music and art, but the company they keep more than makes up for it. So while it's great if you can find someone who you have a lot in common with in that department, it's not always the best thing to base friendships and other relationships on.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 03.28.2007, 07:29 PM   #44
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
Too late, I already have (tried it, not bought it).
it is, as the kids say, TRIFE.
Old 03.28.2007, 07:33 PM   #45
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Quote:
I think there comes a time when you have to put aside taste (or at least not put such an emphasis on it) when it comes to the company you choose to keep. I've met people who've had so-called "good taste", or at least I thought so, but I would never want to be around them for an extended period of time. On the other hand, I've met people who've had pretty bland taste in most things related to music and art, but the company they keep more than makes up for it. So while it's great if you can find someone who you have a lot in common with in that department, it's not always the best thing to base friendships and other relationships on.

Yeah, althought it's usually the case you at least have some common ground with your friends or else conversations tend to lull.

Interestingly though... I think I'd probably hate to go out with a female version of myself, or even a girl that was massively into music on my kind of level... it sounds chauvanist I guess but it's more my preference; I quite like girlfriends who aren't half as pretentious or arty as I am. Personality is key when it comes to lay-deez for relationships, and looks play their part too. But just because some girl I know has a penchant for krautrock and mid-eighties art rock I'm not going to want to get with them. I prefer more straightforward girls I suppose.
Old 03.28.2007, 07:34 PM   #46
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Im really talking about people being interesting in general, I was just surprised to see how dull (and small minded) people in Uni really were.

"There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating - people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing" - Oscar Wilde
Old 03.28.2007, 07:56 PM   #47
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
Yeah, althought it's usually the case you at least have some common ground with your friends or else conversations tend to lull.

Interestingly though... I think I'd probably hate to go out with a female version of myself, or even a girl that was massively into music on my kind of level... it sounds chauvanist I guess but it's more my preference; I quite like girlfriends who aren't half as pretentious or arty as I am. Personality is key when it comes to lay-deez for relationships, and looks play their part too. But just because some girl I know has a penchant for krautrock and mid-eighties art rock I'm not going to want to get with them. I prefer more straightforward girls I suppose.

I think the people who I've met who share my tastes in this sort of stuff have turned out to be complete morons who just end up being a burden to me. And unfortunately they're always very clingy, as if we have to be joined at the hip because we listen to some of the same music. Really, so what? It's just not important enough to me. I don't want to spend all of my time talking to people about music. That's why I do it here sometimes, so I don't have to do it with people I've actually met. It's just aggravating. I like it when I have friends who can actually surprise me with their conversation. You know, the ones who make me think, "Oh really? I never would have guessed," instead of "I pretty much figured that out already." I think too much common ground is dull.

As for the difference between friendships with girls and guys, I can't really give the best opinion on it. I've had what I guess would be three close friends throughout my life. Two were girls, one was a guy. At this point I'm not really close to any of them, though we do keep in touch and hang out occasionally. But I definitely don't open up to any of them like I did in the past. I tried to think of the girl/guy differences, and what I came up with wasn't very helpful, since my best ever girl friend was gay and had a crush on me in the beginning (at that point, she hadn't even told me she was gay yet), and the guy I was close to also had feelings for me. And the other girl (the straight one) and I had what you could call a love/hate relationship. Really though, when we were together we were like a happily married couple, and whenever we fought it was like a little divorce every time. People still take the time to remind me how horrible we were to each other. I regret being that ruthless, but now without those extreme feelings, there's hardly anything left to speak of.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 03.28.2007, 08:03 PM   #48
luxinterior
invito al cielo

I just realized that my last post can be summed up as: "I can't make true friends because I'm so desirable, and it makes any potential friends feel uncomfortable around me." That's really far from the truth though. There's more to it, I mean. I only wish that were a factor. Every friend that I've had has said that I'm intimidating. That's funny to me because I know I'm a big goof. I guess it's just because I don't laugh at other people's jokes unless they are actually funny (or unless an elderly person is telling them, because really that's just the kind thing to do). Guys, I've noticed, tend to really hate that (not being thought of as funny).

- Sebastian Bach

Old 03.28.2007, 08:13 PM   #49
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I just realized that my last post can be summed up as: "I can't make true friends because I'm so desirable, and it makes any potential friends feel uncomfortable around me." That's really far from the truth though. There's more to it, I mean. I only wish that were a factor. Every friend that I've had has said that I'm intimidating. That's funny to me because I know I'm a big goof. I guess it's just because I don't laugh at other people's jokes unless they are actually funny (or unless an elderly person is telling them, because really that's just the kind thing to do). Guys, I've noticed, tend to really hate that (not being thought of as funny).

I know. You have to make attempts not to be too difficult with people. I can get on with almost anyone and im never without friends or people to talk to. I just don't really like that many people. The people I do like I really like though. I really don't find it difficult to be around people who like me in the romantic sense, in fact on some levels it makes it easier
Old 03.28.2007, 08:25 PM   #50
luxinterior
invito al cielo

What I've had happen occasionally is that some guy will get it into his head that he's going to try to butter me up, after which I'll be so smitten that I'll go along with pretty much anything he wants. But then after talking to me for a few minutes, he'll completely give up. Usually this happens when my friends try to set me up with people. They'll say, "You should really meet this person, I've told them about you and they want to meet you too." I go along because nothing ever comes of it. It's the most entertaining kind of boredom you'll ever know. I think I give everyone a fair chance not to be a douchebag.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 03.28.2007, 08:26 PM   #51
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I am going to a community college right now. Next year I get to transfer to a uni. I still don't know if I want to go to the one close to my home, or to San Francisco, or New York, Maybe L.A.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2007, 06:09 AM   #52
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i was not fond of being a student when i was one and i didnt like other students either. the whole stigma atached to being a british student is awful and i was financially screwed most of the time.

what is it about the british students that makes them act like such idiots compared to pretty much every other countries students i have encountered?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2007, 06:21 AM   #53
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i met some american students once, they were the same as english ones. i.e. they all thought they were really interesting and knew everything.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2007, 06:27 AM   #54
sarramkrop

I'm glad students are taxed heavily in order to keep their useless selves alive. I'll never have any simpathy for most of them (and there are some good ones out there) because i was a working student myself, therefore i'm more bitter than most.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2007, 08:37 AM   #55
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I'm glad students are taxed heavily in order to keep their useless selves alive. I'll never have any simpathy for most of them (and there are some good ones out there) because i was a working student myself, therefore i'm more bitter than most.

But being a student is one's final extention of adolescence. Why get in the way of that? I am really looking forward to uni now...so to hell with all your miserable naysaying
Old 03.29.2007, 11:21 AM   #56
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Leeds University has lots of students who listen to R'n'B and say 'mate' a lot, and dress in whetever Top Shop recommends and gloop their hair in gel, and treat the whole thing like an extended Club 18-30 holiday; and almost certainly wouldn't have gone to university a decade ago, before the standards dropped.

I had an idealised image of university which, mysteriously, seemed to be set in the 1980s: serious boys and girls with glasses, sat around discussing Morrissey's lyrics and Betty Blue, and Proust. A bunch of pseudo intellectual tossers, basically, but pseudo intellectuals are better than bellowing imbeciles.

However, Leeds (the city) is great, and full of great people. And lots of decent bands play there.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2007, 01:16 PM   #57
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
This thread is interesting to me, and I have lots of things to say so this will be a nice and laborious post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
Yesss... I know EXACTLY what you mean. I barely go out nowadays when I'm here because the place is full of shit clubs and shitter people. I do DJ nights and have a radio show, write for the newspaper blah blahhh... the amount of apathy and indifference people respond to that stuff with is unbelievable.

I tend to go to Newcastle mainly. Oh, and true story: the most "rah" (posh toff daddy's kids) nightclub, Klute, was voted SECOND worst in Europe by some magazine. ...Then the worst, in Germany, FUCKING BURNED DOWN! Klute seems to promote the fact it's so bad these days... badge of honour.

Yeah! It's almost like the kids at Oxford were so rich and posh that they went the other way, and revelled in tackiness and degrading themselves because they thought it was cool. Very frustrating... Also I know what you mean about expecting intelligent people. I was told that everyone at Oxford has to be mad passionate about what they study, because otherwise they wont let you in, but everyone else on my course (Classics) did it because "it's the easiest thing to get in to". They were the kind of people who couldn't have a discussion about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
both my brothers went to UCL, one did anthropology so he was kind of connected to the archaeology crowd. also, he told me he found a secret toilet somewhere in the history building, or something.

I would like to know where... Also I am aware of the drinks prices in London because I live here, but I know the cheap places to go too also, I'd rather pay £3 a pint in a decent pub/club/whatever than a shite one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
You drink Pints?
AWESOME! I always said If I met a girl who drank pints (instead of spirits, WKD, Bacardi brezzers etc) I would marry her...

Rock On! Oxford sucks, you're much better out of it

Beer is lovely! I never understood why anyone drinks that sugary shit. I like all sorts, but at the moment I am particularly digging leffe blond (very yummy and gets me good and drunk!). But girls who drink beer are not all that rare, I know quite a few.

Also, lux, I know what you are saying about not having too much common ground, I feel there is no point having a friend who you cannot learn from.

But I shall stop waffling now!
Old 03.29.2007, 01:23 PM   #58
jico.
expwy. to yr skull

jico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, this year i'm going to college too.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10161

but i dunno what college
jico. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2007, 03:03 PM   #59
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

except scottish students.. who get their fees payed for them by the government.. and get bursaries on top of that to piss about with...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2007, 03:08 PM   #60
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I am thinking of Going to new york this one.

CCNY
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth