Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page MacLaren & Meyer & Rotten & Vicious & Me - by Roger Ebert
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010...vicious_m.html

Roger Ebert discusses his involvement in 77 with Russ Meyer and Malcolm MacLaren and Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten while trying to film a movie with the Sex Pistols.
Old 04.20.2010, 12:03 PM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Roger Ebert is the worst. He gave Kick-Ass 1 star.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
did you see why?
he does not like seeing an 11 year old girl murdering people, and he did not find it to fit with the cynical advertising gimmicks they are using to try and sell it as some sort of kids-try-to-ape-ninja-turtles flick.
it is one man's opinion. Ebert is always good for a read. I do not agree with him on some movie reviews, but he explains himself in a way that lets me know what the movie is really about. sometimes he hates flicks but the way he describes them make sme think I will like them. that is a GOOD critic.

the story I posted is great though man.
Old 04.20.2010, 03:04 PM   #4
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
I fucking love Ebert's writing even though I don't think I've ever read one of his film reviews.
Read this piece the other day, quality stuff - "I don't think me Mum will like the part about the heroin."
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2010, 04:57 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I dug it.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2010, 08:48 PM   #6
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
did you see why?
he does not like seeing an 11 year old girl murdering people, and he did not find it to fit with the cynical advertising gimmicks they are using to try and sell it as some sort of kids-try-to-ape-ninja-turtles flick.
it is one man's opinion. Ebert is always good for a read. I do not agree with him on some movie reviews, but he explains himself in a way that lets me know what the movie is really about. sometimes he hates flicks but the way he describes them make sme think I will like them. that is a GOOD critic.

the story I posted is great though man.

This sums up why I read Ebert pretty well. I often disagree with him. But at least I feel he's serious about whatever he's reviewing, and justifies what he says in an interesting/well written way that actually conveys something of the tone of the movie...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2010, 08:07 AM   #7
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Much thanks, Mr. Instigator.
ann ashtray is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2010, 09:15 AM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ebrt wrote Beyond The Valley of The Dolls. that is allllllright

Old 04.21.2010, 10:49 AM   #9
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
I think the character Seaman in BTVD is Ebert's alter ego.....
Old 04.22.2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone read the chapter about MacLaren on ''Rip It Up And Start Again'' by Simon Reynolds? I had always thought he was a wanker and after reading that I did even more. The guy was in many ways an enemy of musicians, this nonsense about him starting punk is the fabrication of people with short memories who aged very badly.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2010, 12:43 PM   #11
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Indeed. I'm amazed how civil the reaction has been.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2010, 01:08 PM   #12
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
He didn't start punk, no. No one single person can truly be given that credit. But to say he didn't shape it would be false.

Malcolm did a lot to bring in the controversial aspects, I think. This likely includes his claims at "starting punk". It keeps things interesting.

If there is one thing that can make rock music grow boring at an incredibly fast rate, it's trying to keep things brutally honest. Controversy and myth have their place. I thank Malcolm for realizing this.

Other than that, fuck 'em. ha
ann ashtray is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2010, 01:10 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

if there is one thing Malcolm and Vivienne westwood did is really define PUNK visually. for good or ill.
Old 04.22.2010, 01:42 PM   #14
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Anyone read the chapter about MacLaren on ''Rip It Up And Start Again'' by Simon Reynolds? I had always thought he was a wanker and after reading that I did even more. The guy was in many ways an enemy of musicians, this nonsense about him starting punk is the fabrication of people with short memories who aged very badly.

I don't think anyone would argue that MacLaren wasn't a scumbag but he got things done, courted controversy and had a bit of wit and imagination about him. Pop music could probably benefit from a few more MacLarens right now, in my opinion. I wouldn't have employed him as a babysitter though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2010, 01:43 PM   #15
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
If there is one thing that can make rock music grow boring at an incredibly fast rate, it's trying to keep things brutally honest. Controversy and myth have their place. I thank Malcolm for realizing this.

I absolutely agree
Old 04.23.2010, 03:30 AM   #16
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't think anyone would argue that MacLaren wasn't a scumbag but he got things done, courted controversy and had a bit of wit and imagination about him. Pop music could probably benefit from a few more MacLarens right now, in my opinion. I wouldn't have employed him as a babysitter though.

Yeah, he'd be another Simon Cowell.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 09:01 AM   #17
demonrail666
invito al cielo

except you don't really believe that
Old 04.23.2010, 09:39 AM   #18
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
did you see why?
it is one man's opinion. Ebert is always good for a read. I do not agree with him on some movie reviews, but he explains himself in a way that lets me know what the movie is really about. sometimes he hates flicks but the way he describes them make sme think I will like them. that is a GOOD critic

Yeah, while I don't always agree with his reviews he's one of the only movie critics left that I find consistantly worth reading. (J. Hoberman for the Village Voice and Philip French for The Guardian being two others.) Ebert's early reviews are amazing. I think he's getting too conservative now but never at the expense of being interesting.

His scrips for Meyer back in the 70s (which included Up! and Beneath the Valley of the Ultravixens as well as the already mentioned Beyond the Valley of the Dolls) are also really great.
Old 04.23.2010, 09:49 AM   #19
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
I need to own a movie theater so I can have a Russ Myers appreciation festival.
Old 04.23.2010, 09:54 AM   #20
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
if there is one thing Malcolm and Vivienne westwood did is really define PUNK visually. for good or ill.

I suppose the criticism there is that they basically commodified it. The thing is, I really don't think that hurt anything. 'Underground' punk was still able to survive in the background while more commercial genres like heavy metal, that were exposed to the more commercial end of punk, also made quite positive efforts to rethink themselves in response, hence the emergence of bands like Iron Maiden and the whole NWOBHM thing in general. MacLaren was a spark for some very talented people like Lydon and Westwood who, had they not made the connection, I suspect may not have amounted to all that much in comparison. Even if the full extent of their talent never really came through until after they'd parted company with McLaren.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth