Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page show(s) you feel most fortunate to have seen
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.27.2008, 09:42 AM   #61
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
On a rock tip:

Haino's 4-hour set in Newcastle.
Mogwai, about 3 days before MYT was released
Melt Banana in... '99, maybe?
Urusei Yatsura '96 or '97 or so.
NNCK in... '03? And every time since.
Shuji Inaba, Newcastle '06.
... actually, pretty much the whole of Music Lovers' field companion that year.
Mis Teeq, Glastonbury '99.
Kenny Rogers 06 or 07.

The jazz band down the road from me (there's been so many amazing night in the last 4 years I've been watching them).

There's been loads of wonderful experiences with street musicians - I've said before, there's an amazing Kora player on the way into town, there's some wonderful percussionists, Samba bands, good-awful guitarists and the like around.
There was a particular Sunday where I was sat in a graveyard listening to a 3-hour peel on the best church bells I've ever heard...

And there's loads of classical shows I've seen, I won't bore you with them all, but Kaija Saariaho's piece at the proms and the sextet version of Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht stand out as astonishing (as do the second movement of Beethoven's 7th and the whole of Messiaen's Quator pour le fin de temps that I've seen in the last fortnight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 09:49 AM   #62
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
That was the night that me and Tony got really wasted on booze, and kept shouting for (support band) Orange Goblin to fuck off.

It sounds like Altamont.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 10:01 AM   #63
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, it was like that. But on acid.
Old 07.27.2008, 10:05 AM   #64
sarramkrop

Where there any black people in the audience?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 10:08 AM   #65
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
No, just retarded Orange Goblin fans, I'm afraid
Old 07.27.2008, 11:17 AM   #66
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Orange Goblin really are as bad as people say. How they have the fanbase they do genuinely puzzles me. They must have very big families.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 11:33 AM   #67
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
tom waits at a piano in a dublin pub at 11pm with about 7 people at the bar...surreal.
I don't know about the rest of you, but this beats out seeing Nirvana with three other people in the audience for me.

Anyway, uh, I haven't been to all that many shows, so these aren't too spectacular:

Sigur Rós (came at a really rough time in my life, and as cheesy as it sounds, made me feel a lot more optimistic about things. Aside from that, this is the best show I've ever been to.)

Roger Waters (almost two years ago. One of the last solo shows he did before he started infusing too much of that political garbage into his shows with the writing on the pig and whatnot. The performance of Dark Side was surreal.)

Boredoms (a few months ago. I'm just glad I got to see them. I couldn't make it to 77 BOADRUM.)

Boris (a few weeks ago. I had my best friend with me, who had only heard Pink and Smile once before the show, and was totally converted at the end. It's really nice when you can share something like that with yr bestie.)

Sonic Youth (this past July 4th. I really don't know what to say for this one, except they've been consistently one of my favorite bands for the past two and a half years. I was just excited that I finally got to see them live for my first time, especially for free.)

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 11:43 AM   #68
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
i was also at that gig, i almost had a second panic attack (previous had one during the seattle show) but got a drink to cool down and made it up to the front for it, and it seemed to be a good mix of all ages

the security was stricter then i could have imagined so that was weird

But you live in Delaware now? Yesterday when I was pulling out of the Fred Meyer parking lot onto interstate, I got behind someone in a Jetta with a Sonic Youth sticker on it. I seriously wondered if this was someone I knew on the board. Even in Portland, the odds of two cars in a row (mine being the second) on the road with Sonic Youth bumper stickers seems kind of low.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 05:25 PM   #69
al shabbray

SY 2002 murray street tour hamburg, because of kool thing (merzbow), YYYs 2003 or something in berlin in the knaack club with around 90 people else and a stage of 15 centimeters. so very small.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 07:19 PM   #70
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
But you live in Delaware now?

staying down here for the summer to work at an ice cream shop

i went out to the northwest to do the seattle and portland shows and stayed with another forum member in Seattle, love that part of the country, shall endeavor to get back out there
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 09:45 PM   #71
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
demonrail - how about Skullflower supporting Godflesh at the Marquee in Oct/Nov 1992?

holy fuck!!!!! i'd be smiling everyday ever since if i had seen that; no way anything in life could ruin that.

----

i remember one, last summer when i saw porter wagoner (a scant three months before dying) and grinderman opening for the white stripes.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2008, 10:36 PM   #72
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
thinking fellers/sun city girls in '93
chris knox/bill direen ('95?)
king loser in auckland ('95)...happened to be in the right place, right time
jesus lizard on Goat tour...immense
secret show w/ Robyn Hitchcock playing tons of old stuff, covers and Soft Boys songs in '89
NNCK on the rooftop of Poon Village (show was released on one of the cds)
the who/the clash, shea stadium '82
deep wound @ the greenfield grange, '83
the verlaines (both times were fucking amazing)
ghost @ terrastock V was mind-numbing
the two peter jefferies/alastair galbraith tours
two shows in one night (sugar, then tall dwarfs/yo la tengo)
thela/loren mazzacane/t moore+tom surgal
jesus lizard/tar, liar tour
one of the last PTV shows before lady jane died
the smiths (queen is dead tour)
jazz butcher/blue aeroplanes (great show!)
REM, pre-Fables
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 01:36 AM   #73
baby bulldog
bad moon rising

baby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's asses
The 77 Boadrum....life changing.
baby bulldog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 05:08 AM   #74
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus
the verlaines (both times were fucking amazing)
I was hoping they would do some shows for Pot Boiler, but it seems they're only going to be studio band now with Graeme Downes' teaching commitments.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 05:51 AM   #75
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Shellac + Fugazi in London 99
SY in Paris huh 2004 or 5 don't remember Rock en Seine

these gigs rocked my sorry sock
Old 11.01.2008, 06:54 AM   #76
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
Yeah baby!

Einstuerzende went all 'post - modern' and got Showaddywaddy to support them - I kid you not.

Fucking bizarre but very entertaining.

I saw this gig too!

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth