Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page pitchfork has officially lost all credibility...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2008, 07:24 AM   #101
sarramkrop

I don't get the fuss about pitchfork at all. Good or bad.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 08:24 AM   #102
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
why do all these people read pitchfork if they find it so aggrovating?

lambsbread suck, they sound like a boring version of harry pussy's ride a dove LP

wolf eyes and animal collective count as obscure in the greater scheme of things, and it's naive to think that just because something gets a tiny piece of coverage in a mainstream magazine that that means band x are no longer obscure.

the michigan noise scene is mostly rubbish that all sounds the same, aside from wolf eyes, graveyards & demons (i.e. all wolf eyes related things) every noise band i've heard from i've heard from michigan is pretty much indistinguishable from the last.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 08:35 AM   #103
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I never said the Michigan noise scene was "good", I said that there's a huge noise scene there.

Also, look, define obscure however you want, but if a band like Animal Collective is on television and in feature articles in magazines and known by MILLIONS of people (and listened to by hundreds of thousands of people), I don't think that makes them obscure. Then again, some people on here think Sonic Youth are obscure. So, obviously, my definition of obscurity is different.

End of argument.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 08:38 AM   #104
sarramkrop

I find it ironic that going through what's written on some of this thread reminded me exactly about the standard of writing on pitchfork itself and automatically my brain blanked a lot of it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 08:44 AM   #105
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I never said the Michigan noise scene was "good", I said that there's a huge noise scene there.

Also, look, define obscure however you want, but if a band like Animal Collective is on television and in feature articles in magazines and known by MILLIONS of people (and listened to by hundreds of thousands of people), I don't think that makes them obscure. Then again, some people on here think Sonic Youth are obscure. So, obviously, my definition of obscurity is different.

End of argument.

do any of the michigan noise bands (aside from wolf eyes) put out releases in editions above 500 (at the absolute max) copies?

how many people do you think who read about animal collective in a mainstream magazine paid any attention to the article, or more to the point, how many people skipped over the article to read about a band they'd heard of before?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 08:52 AM   #106
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'm really confused by what point you're trying to make, toilet and bowels. There is a LOT of noise bands in Michigan, moreso than most other states I've noticed. That's ALL I'm saying. There's really no reason to debate this, I'm simply stating that there's a ton of noise bands/shows/a big scene there, it doesn't matter if every band releases 1 copy of every release. I've just noticed a huge influx of noise bands that are from Michigan.

Also, the "obscure" is a synonym for "unknown", right? If you bring up Animal Collective to 100 people, I bet you at least 3-8% have heard of if not heard Animal Collective because of their exposure on television. That doesn't seem like a lot -- but it's certainly not UNKNOWN. Animal Collective are extremely popular and getting more and more popular... again look at the last.fm play count/listeners if you don't believe me (and take into account that probably 3 times that many people actually listen to Animal collective that don't have last.fm players). Also note, unlike what someone said earlier (that people will hear 2 seconds and turn it off), I'm almost 100% positive last.fm only counts plays if you play the ENTIRE song (or most of it) all the way through. Anyway, my point is, someone said Animal Collective are "obscure" -- to even be mentioned in something like ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY or to be on CONAN O BRIEN means you're not obscure anymore. Why bother arguing with that? It doesn't matter if people ignored them or didn't like them -- they still saw them. I just don't understand people's definitions of obscurity on here: It's like saying Zappa -- for lack of a better example right now -- is obscure because he doesn't have a platinum record or something... EVERYBODY knows Zappa.

Anyway, off topic, and I don't think I have anything left to add here, but:
http://www.last.fm/user/AleXX%5Bjournals.ru%5D/

This guy sure does love Radiohead!

Old 04.11.2008, 09:03 AM   #107
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I call fake.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 09:09 AM   #108
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

There's another similiar one called radioheadman that's also obviously fake.

It's pretty brilliant though honestly.

He probably just has a separate computer playing all that shit for him all the time. Doing the math real quick, he listens to radiohead roughly 24 hours a day.

It's difficult for me to listen to radiohead 24 minutes a year usually so that's crazy haha..

SYRFox, did I mention I'm going to see Mahjongg next Saturday?

Old 04.11.2008, 09:18 AM   #109
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Oh you lucky guy! I really wished they would play near me but they have no European tour planned for the moment, I really can't stop playing Kontpab. Enjoy yourself! They must blow everything live
Old 04.11.2008, 09:19 AM   #110
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

End of argument.

there is no way in HELL that animal collective has sold more than 120 thousand of ANYTHING
Old 04.11.2008, 09:20 AM   #111
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
obscure is NOT a synonym for "unknown"

It means LITTLE KNOWN, in the shadows, not in the mass consciousness, and animal colelctive and nearly 90% of what you ahve ever m,entioned on here as listening to applies dude. get over it. enjoy the cache'
Old 04.11.2008, 09:27 AM   #112
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I never said Animal Collective sold 100's of thousands of records. I said they were LISTENED TO by 100's of thousands.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/obscurity
Obscurity - The quality or condition of being unknown.

Yeah, it is more synonymous with "little known" or "virtually unknown"; I didn't mean "completely unknown. period" because if it was THAT obscure to begin with, we wouldn't even be talking about it. I guess I'm willing to accept that there are different levels of oscurity.

Point is, kinda what batreleaser said a few pages ago, if you have records in every record store in America and you've been on television in front of millions of people, you're not obscure. I really would like to reiterate a point from earlier: Animal Collective are a CULT band... but not obscure.

Old 04.11.2008, 09:32 AM   #113
SYRFox
invito al cielo

I don't know who the Toadies are Now I feel like an ignorant
Old 04.11.2008, 09:35 AM   #114
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Also, I'd like to mention, AGAIN based on something like last.fm which may not mean anything to you, Animal Collective are more popular than a band like the Toadies. And the Toadies -- I mean, fuck, everyone knows who they are! "I Come from the Water"!... they have a song on Guitar Hero.

No reason to keep debating this with you, I just know if I mention Animal Collective to my peers, they'll know who they are. That's not obscure in the least.

Also, you keep suggesting that Animal Collective hasn't sold enough records to not be obscure. Look, I don't own the Godfather -- but I've seen it. There's thousands of movies people haven't owned but have seen. Would you consider those movies obscure? Animal Collective has been seen by millions of people on television and read about in magazines; even if they didn't necessarily enjoy the performance or whatever, it still elevates Animal Collective beyond obscurity.

Old 04.11.2008, 09:36 AM   #115
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

SYRFox, I edited that out of my post to make a new post about it haha.

You don't know possum kingdom? "DO YOU WANNA DIEEEEEEEEE?" That song was pretty huge. 90's rock radio classic.

Old 04.11.2008, 09:45 AM   #116
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Okay so know, I feel ignorant AND idiot because I posted something that wasn't even related to the last post! What am I going to do...

Anyway, no, I don't know this song, or maybe I heard it actually but don't know the name for it...
Old 04.11.2008, 09:52 AM   #117
sarramkrop

Sometimes I don't understand why minute things like that are blown out of proportions.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 09:54 AM   #118
SYRFox
invito al cielo

^^^ agreed
Old 04.11.2008, 09:57 AM   #119
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Guess you're just not a product of 90's alternative rock ...

It's interesting, there's a Toadies song called "Tyler" that's almost identical to where is my mind.

You do at least know blur's song 2 right? "WHOO HOO"!!!

Old 04.11.2008, 09:58 AM   #120
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Yeah yeah, of course, this one's even on my iPod (only Blur song on there though). But yeah, I'm definitively not an 90's alternative rock fan... Probably relevant as I was born in 1990.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth