Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page It still bothers me that the deluxe reissues stopped ...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.19.2017, 09:08 AM   #21
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Washing Machine would be possible too. talking about Geffen era, I got a feeling that there would be an extra issue concerning Geffen owning rights on the top of it..

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2017, 01:37 PM   #22
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
Washing Machine would be possible too. talking about Geffen era, I got a feeling that there would be an extra issue concerning Geffen owning rights on the top of it..

But they were able to reissue “Daydream Nation,” a Neutral release, without much or any fuss. I’m not sure if that’s because DGC somehow acquired the rights to Neurtral or what (actually I think that’s exactly what happened), but I feel like all of this could be worked out pretty easily if the band wanted to make it happen.

Even if they continued where they last left off on Matador, I’d think Matador would be more than capable of ironing out the kinks and releasing of the ‘80s albums in particular. Maybe not so much with the material released under Geffen.

You know what? Fuck it. Someone call the Numero Group and push for a full catalogue extensive reissue a la Unwound, and (hopefully) Hüsker Dü, and so on. Sonic Youth isn’t just some band. Their albums are cultural artifacts. Their music is still being digested and dissected by pop culture. They deserve the primo treatment. Barring a “Beatles Anthology”-style band effort to present their history in full, a Numero Group set of box sets with 2-3 albums and tons of bonus material each is the best way to go.

I want this to happen.

I will feel fucked out of a “Sister” deluxe reissue until I get a goddamn “Sister” deluxe issue.

Lee! Do this thing!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2017, 01:54 PM   #23
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
DDN was orignally on Blast First, not Neutral, but DGC had already acquired rights to issue it well in advance of the deluxe sets [see the '93 reissues].
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2017, 03:11 PM   #24
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
DDN was orignally on Blast First, not Neutral, but DGC had already acquired rights to issue it well in advance of the deluxe sets [see the '93 reissues].

You’re right. Forgot about Blast First. I suck.

Still... Numero Group SY series... is that not an awesome concept?
Old 11.26.2017, 04:53 AM   #25
wim
little trouble girl

wim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really need the deluxe treatment, especially now almost everything has been reissued. But inspiration from records a la "The Secret History of Pavement vol 1" - would be nice. A sort of rarities/outtakes/bsides/jams compilation from a certain era. 1LP at a time, with discarded artwork/pictures from that era.

Or just the continuation of the SYR series, but more as an archival series. I always prefer a record with a clear theme, rather than random compilations such as The Destroyed Bedroom.. (Though that one has Blink..)

If SY needs help in compiling, I could help with that. :-D
wim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2017, 08:27 PM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wim
I don't really need the deluxe treatment, especially now almost everything has been reissued. But inspiration from records a la "The Secret History of Pavement vol 1" - would be nice. A sort of rarities/outtakes/bsides/jams compilation from a certain era. 1LP at a time, with discarded artwork/pictures from that era.

Or just the continuation of the SYR series, but more as an archival series. I always prefer a record with a clear theme, rather than random compilations such as The Destroyed Bedroom.. (Though that one has Blink..)

If SY needs help in compiling, I could help with that. :-D

Is the “Secret History of Pavement” thing just the second disc of the 2000s reissues, released on its own? Like, Slanted & Enchanted: Luxe & Reduxe” disc 2, “Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: LA’s Desert Origins” disc 2, etc.?

I’d rather just have both discs. Projects that are started should be completed.

I’d take what you’re suggesting over nothing, but I’d much rather get a big lovely gatefold cover and 34-page book about Sister with all the demos, b-sides, unreleased tracks, jams, etc. from the album tacked on to a remastered version of the album.

I’d be less pissed if they had made it through Sister before they stopped.
Old 11.27.2017, 09:15 AM   #27
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like.... anything. Gimme a new SY archival release a year forever and I'd be a happy boy.
Old 12.21.2017, 10:18 AM   #28
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Still... Numero Group SY series... is that not an awesome concept?

Mind-bendingly awesome, feel stupid for not having thought of it myself. I can't even imagine... All the master tapes that made up Sonic Death for the first one perhaps? Each era must have such gold.

Four disc Sister gives me all kinds of peculiar feelings, especially as it was my first SY LP. I've had a stab at assembling a post NYCGAF/pre Murray Street myself, with Demonkiller, Kali Yug, Sweet Emotion 7" etc, would love a proper one with Things Behind The Sun and whatever other jams they've got kicking about from then on a 3 LP. Numero Group would be perfect for it.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth