Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.26.2014, 04:47 PM   #3581
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ah yes. books. i'm sniffing around a volume of chekhov's stories.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2014, 06:01 PM   #3582
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Smoked some killer hash ten minutes ago.

But what the hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm with El Symbols on this, the canon has been a target in univ literature departments for decades now. The tradition of the great white European male has been almost entirely banished from some departments, as they scramble to validate anything that represents its alternative. All in the name of some muddled top-down thinking about 'relevance'.

I understand, and I love the canon without apology.

All I mean is when lists like this are made, it all seems to be the same names.

Great names.

Names that should not be forgotten.

But names that perhaps I see a little too much. That's all. A bit of tedium on my part.

---

Really, I was just foolin' around with the charge of being politically incorrect.

Trust me, if I read one more story about some docile Asian women who somehow finds her true self in the course of the story, I'll pull my hair out.

---

Barnes' non-fiction meditation on death Nothing to be Afraid Of might tickle some pickles.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2014, 08:01 PM   #3583
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

But what the hell.

I understand, and I love the canon without apology.

All I mean is when lists like this are made, it all seems to be the same names.

Great names.

Names that should not be forgotten.

But names that perhaps I see a little too much. That's all. A bit of tedium on my part.

I defend it against those countless 'people's choice' lists done by the likes of GoodReads or Amazon, chock full of Ayn Rand, J.R.R. Tolkien and J.K. Rowling, but its very existence goes against pretty much everything that this current generation of intellectuals and academics charged with maintaining it appears to stand for.

The BBC faces a similar problem right now. It's attempting to redo its Civillisation series that came out in the 60s. The original is seen as one of the great achievements in tv but critics have obviously pointed to its underlying prejudices, asumptions, etc. So how do you make a programme like that now without turning it into the equivalent of a GoodReads list, and at the same time avoiding the charges levelled at the original?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2014, 09:59 AM   #3584
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
you just get some good contemporary historians involved.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2014, 12:03 PM   #3585
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Quote:

writing is no longer the dominant means of cultural transmission, which funnels talent away from words alone to media such as tv/movies/games

documentary makers replacing non-fiction authors

etc.

we should probably be talking about tv writers. sad but true.
Old 07.28.2014, 09:26 AM   #3586
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ah yes. books. i'm sniffing around a volume of chekhov's stories.

Ha! After all this talk of style, you end up with an author who is known to not have any sort of particular style. Flourishes of syntax and diction were among the last things of Anton's mind.

Quote:
I defend it against those countless 'people's choice' lists done by the likes of GoodReads or Amazon,

Well, move the goalposts in that direction and I'm loyal to your side. Graham Greene's most sensational entertainment still holds more literary weight than the truly awful Ayn Rand, etc.

But I suppose I get the BBC's dilemma: how much time is appropriate to spend on the Harry Potter books?

Quote:
writing is no longer the dominant means of cultural transmission, which funnels talent away from words alone to media such as tv/movies/games

I guess. Maybe. But, you know, it's not like 100 years ago Henry James novels were flying off the shelves.

Indeed, I was shocked to look at the bestseller list of the 20th century. It was page after page of "Who the hell are these people?" Turns out they were massively famous people for a few years, then resigned to the oblivion of history because the books weren't very good. Meanwhile, names we take for granted as "great" were usually nowhere to be found. A few exceptions.

Quote:
I disagree but only because I personally find Martin Amis's style almost unreadable. It's not saying he writes badly, just that I can't stand it.

I was thinking last night how I've never finished a Rushdie novel. I've tried 3 or four, just can't get past page 50.

I wouldn't say he writes badly, just that I can't stand it.

Quote:
ps

JEAN RHYS

YOURCENAR

CLARICE LISPECTOR

MACHADO DE ASSIS

JOSÉ MARÍA ARGUEDAS

I've been meaning to read WIDE SARGASSO SEA for awhile now, unless someone can recommend a superior Rhys.

Otherwise, sorry, I erected a border that prevents Mexican books from crossing into my bookshelf because they take away jobs from American books.
Old 07.28.2014, 10:39 AM   #3587
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha ha. wide sargasso sea is the most famous for "theory" people (colonization! hybridity! wimmins!) and they made some crap movie out of it too. but i'd recommend her paris novels. e.g., after leaving mr. mckenzie, or good morning midnight (she has 4 of those total).

xix century novels were published in newspapers!! and everyone who could read read them-- there was no tv news, no radio, just the newspapers. they published poems too. now we have rap: bitchez & money. i'm not saying anything mcluhan didn't say already though. but i'm sure henry james helped sell plenty newspapers.

chekhov: i don't read russian so i can't know shit about his style but a couple of little stories i just read were awesome and hilarious and i want to read more. he saw people. the translations seem decent enought, it's a volume edited by richard ford ('merica! right?)

i'd start going off on how lispector was a jew just like joo but i'm not fond of literary nationalisms.
Old 08.04.2014, 09:38 AM   #3588
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/ New blog of mine where I review/summarize the books I read. Working in a Library rules. Just added 6 books, but have 25 reviewed and will be adding those soon.
Old 08.04.2014, 09:45 AM   #3589
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/ New blog of mine where I review/summarize the books I read. Working in a Library rules. Just added 6 books, but have 25 reviewed and will be adding those soon.

this deserved another napoleon dynamite "luckee" picture but it would be repetitive

let me emphasize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Working in a Library rules.

i am very rarely jealous of people's "jobs," but in this case i am

congrats of finding the best possible way of feeding your addictions

ps- i laughed reading that andré breton wrote a boring book! i've never been a fan. i wish you had quoted some boring samples, for corroboration.
Old 08.04.2014, 10:21 AM   #3590
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I cold have quoted anything from that Breton book and it would have bored you to death!!!!
Old 08.04.2014, 10:57 AM   #3591
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i believe you. he was more ideologue than actual artist.
Old 08.06.2014, 09:06 AM   #3592
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i believe you. he was more ideologue than actual artist.

I always thinking getting kicked out of the surrealists by Breton was a badge of honor: Dali, Gysin off the top of my head
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2014, 11:15 AM   #3593
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Reading is fun.

Right now I am reading this book that was "channeled" through an older retired British guy called A New Understanding of Life, by Ralph A. Steadman (NOT the artist I adore who drew for Hunter Thompson)

It is cool stuff, real mindfuck. It describes the nature of existance, and a million other things that people like Blatavsky and Gurdhieff and Swedenborg have tried to share but they couched their shit in esoteric lingo. this is plain spoken and very very in-depth.
Old 08.07.2014, 01:57 PM   #3594
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
just started Fire on the Mountain by Edward Abbey

just finished Northern Borders by Howard Frank Mosher, also a story told from a child's viewpoint about his grandfather, both old curmudgeons in both novels...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2014, 07:59 PM   #3595
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses

i am reading this rn (probably gonna finish before morning). it's very sad but let me quote symbols ...
Quote:
you love the sad stuff though
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2014, 05:54 PM   #3596
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
i am not reading as much as i want to...

getting paid in the mid-october though.

watch out you guys, watch out.

right now i am re-reading the short stories of lorrie moore and lydia davis cause i am a poor lil girl
Old 09.01.2014, 04:15 AM   #3597
raleighsimon
empty page

raleighsimon has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Lot of books
raleighsimon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2014, 12:31 PM   #3598
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
waiting to get a charles portis book called masters of atlantis
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2014, 03:21 PM   #3599
pony
the end of the ugly

anyone read siri hustvedt? can someone point me to her best work? hoping i'll get into a class about her next semester and i want to prepare!
Old 09.16.2014, 07:22 AM   #3600
evollove
invito al cielo

^ I read Summer Without Men. At less that 200 pgs, it might be a good way to be introduced.

There's an entire class about her?
130170177178179 180 181182183190230280 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth