Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page rage against the machine versus x-factor
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2009, 06:53 PM   #1
musefreek
bad moon rising

musefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's asses
to all UK posters, hope you have bought your mp3 copy of Killing In the Name Of.

the sentiment of this campaign should persuade you to spend 79p if you haven't yet!
musefreek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 06:58 PM   #2
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
pathetic
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 07:03 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
pathetic
agreed. ratm are like the pharisees, "What they say do, what they do by no means be doing."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
They are signed to the same label as the X Factor winner, so the same fatcats will win anyway regardless. Not to mention that RATM are terrible! They rapped about fucking the system and to take down big business yet they are on Sony, one of the 4 major labels? That's hypocritical right there.

Oh and they were terrible songwriters. "But dude, the guitarist was so innovative!" Wow, he could make some funny noises with his guitar that people probably thought up before him and thought, "heh kind of amusing eh?" He's a terrible guitarist. Horrible. People seem to think the band are standing up for the little man when really they are probably all millionaires who couldn't give a fuck if we died or not.

And then there's people who say they're innovative because they combined rock and rap. OH MY, WOW! Rock... AND rap? You're joking! Someone better ring up Run-DMC, Public Enemy/Anthrax and the Beastie Boys about this wonderful genre RATM have originally conceived and fine crafted.

Besides, if it gets to number one then what's the point? What are they trying to prove? Who will it convert? Fuck this "campaign".
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 07:15 PM   #6
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
They were fun when I was in middle school. Now they are boring and like all my middle school bands suck.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 07:16 PM   #7
musefreek
bad moon rising

musefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
pathetic

fuck yourself.
Old 12.16.2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I stopped liking them when I was 10 years old.
Old 12.16.2009, 07:18 PM   #9
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
so Derek how do you really feel? haha

I like em
Old 12.16.2009, 07:20 PM   #10
Derek
invito al cielo

I honestly don't care about them but I'm sick of people throwing them in my face all over again haha.
Old 12.16.2009, 07:22 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
That's hypocritical right there.

duh

Quote:
Oh and they were terrible songwriters. "But dude, the guitarist was so innovative!" Wow, he could make some funny noises with his guitar that people probably thought up before him and thought, "heh kind of amusing eh?" He's a terrible guitarist. Horrible. People seem to think the band are standing up for the little man when really they are probably all millionaires who couldn't give a fuck if we died or not.

that is a matter of taste, many people would walk out of a sonic youth moment saying the same shit

Quote:
What are they trying to prove? Who will it convert? Fuck this "campaign".

if I read that article correctly its not RATM's campaign at all, rather it is some dude's idea and he either did it on his own or RATM gave the thumbs up, but I don't believe they spearheaded it or anything like that.

RATM brings up an interesting paradox, when you have a revolutionary message that needs to get to the masses, how do you avoid mass marketization, which is the inevitable result of mass distribution of anything? I mean, I think we can all agree that RATM didn't start out as some sell-out band, before they were signed that were just another pissed off political punk band like a hundred other punk bands in my collection.. but like Bob Marley that shit got big, and unlike Bob Marley those fuckers let it get to their heads and sold-out.

Old 12.16.2009, 07:29 PM   #12
musefreek
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

duh

that is a matter of taste, many people would walk out of a sonic youth moment saying the same shit

if I read that article correctly its not RATM's campaign at all, rather it is some dude's idea and he either did it on his own or RATM gave the thumbs up, but I don't believe they spearheaded it or anything like that.

RATM brings up an interesting paradox, when you have a revolutionary message that needs to get to the masses, how do you avoid mass marketization, which is the inevitable result of mass distribution of anything?

your last point is a very interesting one.

my logic follows that they would've wanted optimal distribution to disseminate their message as a band, even though their views weren't aligned with that of a major label.

however, that aside, RATM has done an awful lot for social activism (much much more so than other bands), and that simply can't be denied by anyone.

tom morello mentioned in an interview regarding the current campaign that he will give all his proceeds to projects in the UK concerning poor youth who want to start bands. this is really a wonderful thing to do.

as for what RATM sounds like as a band, well, this is all down to personal taste of course. no use really trying to argue how good or bad they were.
Old 12.16.2009, 07:30 PM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:

duh
Duh to you and I, not duh to others

Quote:
Oh I know, just my opinion of them.

Quote:
I know, I just don't think the people spearheading this campaign really thought it out further than, "dude it'd be cool if Rage were number 1 instead of that X Factor shit"

Quote:
RATM brings up an interesting paradox, when you have a revolutionary message that needs to get to the masses, how do you avoid mass marketization, which is the inevitable result of mass distribution of anything?
Well plenty of other bands have managed to spread their message. I'm not saying it is wrong for them to have a revolutionary message but for them to do this for the little people and reap the millions they probably made is not right to me.

"FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YA TELL ME... can I get my royalty check yet?" Haha.
Old 12.16.2009, 07:32 PM   #14
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Eh, they would have benefited more in the 60's.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2009, 07:34 PM   #15
Derek
invito al cielo

Yep.
Old 12.16.2009, 07:34 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by musefreek

tom morello mentioned in an interview regarding the current campaign that he will give all his proceeds to projects in the UK concerning poor youth who want to start bands. this is really a wonderful thing to do.

as for what RATM sounds like as a band, well, this is all down to personal taste of course. no use really trying to argue how good or bad they were.

yes and know. I used to fully support RATM up until the very end.. however when Zack shut up and did the Latin Grammies and when Audioslave was smchoozing on all the Talkshows.. shit I saw Audioslave on the tv on the streets of hollywood with well over 10,000 people crowded around.. did Tom Morello mention the movement at all? NO. he smchoozed even schticked! disgusting. All I heard in my head was "come and play come and play, forget about the movement.. brother did ya forget your name?" Thats why I said they are like the Pharisees, "What they say, do. What they do, by no means be doing."

Old 12.16.2009, 07:35 PM   #17
Derek
invito al cielo

I will give the band one thing, Audioslave are about 100x worse than them.
Old 12.16.2009, 07:36 PM   #18
musefreek
bad moon rising

Quote:
yes and know. I used to fully support RATM up until the very end.. however when Zack shut up and did the Latin Grammies and when Audioslave was smchoozing on all the Talkshows.. shit I saw Audioslave on the tv on the streets of hollywood with well over 10,000 people crowded around.. did Tom Morello mention the movement at all? NO. he smchoozed even schticked! disgusting. Thats why I said they are like the Pharisees, "What they say, do. What they do, by no means be doing."

audioslave was a different machine though, so to speak. from the very start they didn't make it their priority to be political, whereas that is always what RATM was about.
Old 12.16.2009, 07:37 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I will give the band one thing, Audioslave are about 100x worse than them.

but Audioslave IS ratm bandmate for bandmate.. so they proved it was all bullshit or at least that it all became bullshit.. that was the clincher for me, I totally lost all respect for them and Tom Morello especially with that Audioslave rock and roll fiasco.. I practically live begging on the street for my support of the movement, while these fuckers rock star it up?

but guys, seriously, what speakers, leaders etc etc of the movement have been infallible? The movement is not the leaders, it is the moves. We should not throw out the movement because of the flaws in those who ask us to make moves. Further, we should not discredit the successes of others in the movement because of their subsequent shortcomings.. What RATM said was truth, and we should not judge them so harshly for letting us down, after all at one time they spoke the truth, and it was a might loud rallying cry. A LOT of people got active in the movement influenced by RATM, like folks got into the movement in the 70s after hearing some Marley records

Old 12.16.2009, 07:42 PM   #20
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I was wondering when this would reach SYG.

1) RATM are shit. Always were, always will be
2) "Let's show Cowell that there's more to music than his piddling show by pushing a song that's nearly 20 years old into the public eye again".
3) Guerilla radio would've actually made sense as a RATM song choice.

Most of these things are a bit of fun, but it's the conceited fuckwittery of RATM fans that really pisses me off. If they'd picked a song from this decade I wouldn't have minded. But nothing rallies fuckwits like shit music and empty, cod-revolutionary rhetoric.

I could go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth