Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the gossip
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.09.2009, 11:04 AM   #161
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
And you are?

so now that we've estabilished that you really have nothing to say and can't even answer that question clearly, will you just give up now, because we are moving on to fugazi. thanks.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2009, 11:07 AM   #162
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
i dont listen to the gossip. all ive been saying is that kids need that. its simplicity might have more of an impact when ur 12 you know.

Old 10.09.2009, 11:09 AM   #163
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I hear many religious refrences in SY. Especially in thier newer albums. I think they got alot a spirituality.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2009, 11:12 AM   #164
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Music and politics are a marriage made in hell if the bantering is too explicit on the records themselves. That's not to say sometimes a song can't have some sort of political resonance on the listener because an issue is brought up by mean of thinly-veiled reference in a song. Fugazi are too explicit and too preachy to start with, plus they focused too much on the negative aspects of things, forgetting to highlight that not exactly everything is shit.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2009, 11:12 AM   #165
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
so now that we've estabilished that you really have nothing to say and can't even answer that question clearly, will you just give up now, because we are moving on to fugazi. thanks.
too late knockers
Old 10.09.2009, 11:13 AM   #166
knox
invito al cielo

i like the dead kennedies.

and xiu xiu.

god i love the politicalness of xiu xiu.

Old 10.09.2009, 11:13 AM   #167
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
too late knockers

you´re an idiot.
don´t talk to me, at me, or about me.

also, people with something to say are posting now, that made you redudant.

Old 10.09.2009, 11:14 AM   #168
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Ok knockers.
Old 10.09.2009, 11:16 AM   #169
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

For someone with a lot of things to say, your posts on this thread are rather less verbose than others.
Old 10.09.2009, 11:20 AM   #170
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Let thier be peace on SYG! Let us all agree to disagree. Dk & Fugazi were cool back in the day. I'll put em on fr nostalgia sometimes. That shit is good fr youth though cause it puts a fire up thier ass to do something besides besides sit around.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2009, 11:20 AM   #171
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
why do you think fugazi is that bad?

well i guess i am bias, because i sort of teenaged around that and skateboards.

I don't really have a problem with their music, per se. I just think it's shit. Really shit. Like, tuneless, lumpen bullshit shit.

The main problem I have though is with this ideology - I know they work hard at various things, keeping control over the dissemination of their music, encouraging straight edge and all that, and it just strikes me as massively sexless, sanctimonious and patronising. I don't really see what it achieves. I realise that most 'political' music is like that, but I think something like Nation of Ulysses, for all their sarcasm, were much more damning in their critique of America. NOU were never 'we are opposed to x', they were always 'we're all in the shit, but we look cool as fuck'.

The other thing is, I've never known anyone that wasn't white and a bit middle class who was into Fugazi. Shouting about social injustices to the most priveleged teenagers in existence, in one of the richest countries in the world strikes me as whole heap of pointless.

One last point is that Fugazi also seem to get into the heads of a lot of British people; obviously, this isn't really Fugazi's fault (in fact, very little of my criticism is), but it really pisses me off that so many Brits look to America for their anger and just do a facsimile version thereof. I've seen punk bands singing in fake American accents (Fugazi covers quite often) who don't understand why I call them poseurs or shills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2009, 11:24 AM   #172
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Let thier be peace on SYG! Let us all agree to disagree. Dk & Fugazi were cool back in the day. I'll put em on fr nostalgia sometimes. That shit is good fr youth though cause it puts a fire up thier ass to do something besides besides sit around.

The things they did outside the records are pretty cool, though, all that DIY stuff, plus helping other bands. Some of their songs I like, it's just the lyrics that generally put me off them.
Old 10.09.2009, 11:41 AM   #173
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
I won't even go into the whole "i'm more of a feminist than you are" arguement, because that is just pathetic and counter-intuitive to what feminism is (you know, cuz feminism is supposed to be a movement that is accessable to all and meets people where their at - not about who posesses the most knowledge)

I enjoy Fugazi. My gf was a band coach paired with Ian McKaye's sister at Girls Rock camp in DC this past summer. I don't fully understand why this board tends to shy away of anything at all political.

About the "middle class" thing - i mean, wasn't that a problem with a lot of punk in general?

Just because political shit doesn't obtain everything that it strives for doesn't mean it's worthless. That's a really apathetic viewpoint.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2009, 11:52 AM   #174
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
I don't fully understand why this board tends to shy away of anything at all political.

About the "middle class" thing - i mean, wasn't that a problem with a lot of punk in general?

Just because political shit doesn't obtain everything that it strives for doesn't mean it's worthless. That's a really apathetic viewpoint.

I'm not sure how much of this is directed at me, but I think it's really important to not assume that my dislike of Fugazi is the same as not liking political music.

I really don't believe that a lot of punk was middle-class. Someone like Crass didn't belong to the middle-class, although some of their members came from that background. I have no idea of the background of someone like Le Tigre, and less does it matter. Le Tigre are effective in their message whilst also appealing to both girls and people who want to dance.

In that regard, bands like Atari Teenage Riot, Asian dub Foundation, Adrian Sherwood, Public Enemy or even ostensibly apolitical things like Underground resistance make much more sense to me personally. Shouting at white kids who've come to be shouted at doesn't really change anything so much as it edifies an existing antipathy; shouting at people who are out for a good time on the dancefloor is arguably more 'subversive' (to use this thread's watch-word). Sizzla is more interesting than Fugazi simply because his message is not an easily-digested 'the political situation is bad'. It's much more complex and personal than that.

I suppose I'm not saying that Fugazi are bad, but I don't think they speak to Europeans so much as they speak to Europeans who look up to Americans. That's arguably elitist but I'd rather have a million Tystions or Datblygus or even fucking Y Crwyffs than I would one Fugazi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2009, 01:04 PM   #175
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan

Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2009, 03:10 PM   #176
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
you´re an idiot.
don´t talk to me, at me, or about me.

also, people with something to say are posting now, that made you redudant.

Old 10.09.2009, 03:14 PM   #177
knox
invito al cielo

I like notyourfiend.

Old 10.09.2009, 03:22 PM   #178
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i like the dead kennedies.

and xiu xiu.

god i love the politicalness of xiu xiu.

dead kennedys rule.

xiu xiu rule like a motherfuicker toooooooo

and fugazi's first 4 records are fucking CLASSIC. classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fugazi has always been about personal politics, not national, at-large politics.
Old 10.09.2009, 03:24 PM   #179
knox
invito al cielo

i dont know about you but
when i listen to support the troops
i start laughing nervously - in a good way

Old 10.09.2009, 07:19 PM   #180
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
fugazi has always been about personal politics, not national, at-large politics.

the personal is political man

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth