Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I'm listening to Timeless by Goldie
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.12.2009, 10:19 AM   #21
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
you better do, I'd be interested!

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2009, 10:27 AM   #22
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Because the records are by and large created to be mixed, they never sound right when listened to in a standard album format. It's the same reason why House and Techno has never really produced a good album and why those that've got closest tend not to follow the standard format. Whole sections of the average Techno, House and Jungle record are there for functional rather than strictly musical reasons (as such) and those sections really don't offer much as a purely listening experience.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2009, 11:50 AM   #23
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
you better do, I'd be interested!

ok, here's a couple that i've allready transfered.

DJ Peshay - Dreamscape XI 1994
http://www.sendspace.com/file/53q0to

DJ Phantasy - Dreamscape XI 1994
http://www.sendspace.com/file/seeu58

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Dream...release/916770

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2009, 01:50 PM   #24
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
wow, listening to that Peshay mix now. Top stuff!

by the way, I use this opportunity to recommend my friend's work - he comes from Bratislava as well as I do and has already recorded stuff for Hospital rec. Very talented dude. If nothing else, check at least the tune called "Beautiful Lies" - addictive as fuck.

http://www.myspace.com/bcomplexdnb

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 10.13.2009, 07:43 AM   #25
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
^^I'm loving hide and seek, good tunes up there.

Peshay mix is ace, perfect music for playing quickfire pool that I'm finding addictively therapeutic.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2009, 09:29 AM   #26
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
wow, listening to that Peshay mix now. Top stuff!

by the way, I use this opportunity to recommend my friend's work - he comes from Bratislava as well as I do and has already recorded stuff for Hospital rec. Very talented dude. If nothing else, check at least the tune called "Beautiful Lies" - addictive as fuck.

http://www.myspace.com/bcomplexdnb

i know this guy's track, girl with flower, good stuff
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2009, 11:10 AM   #27
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'd definitely second that - Timeless is a good album, but I think that the album format really doesn't represent what DnB was about. I don't really have much DnB because I never wanted to listen to it anywhere other than a filthy club where the bass was loud enough to make your liver hallucinate.

i dont think its relevant to discuss wether album format is good or bad for dnb. its a form for dance music so most of the tracks on an album are dsigned (produced) to make people dance! there are some expections but that is the main point.
its the same with techno or house..
but!
if you want to listen to some extraordinary dnb (and i wonder why this guy hasn't been mentioned yet) then try JONNY L !!!
first two albums are landmarks but very underrated!
Sawtooth and Magnetic!
most tunes have a very dark and detroit technoy sound, but so clever no one has been able to copy it yet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j0My45u90A

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2009, 11:11 AM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yesterday i learned two new games.

1. "google ghost": designate one person to type things in to a google search bar. go around in a circle. the first person says a word, with optional space character after it. then you proceed around the circle, each person saying a character (usually a letter or space). the typist enters each utterance into the search bar, and as soon as google suggest has no suggestions, the person who said the last character loses and picks the next start-word. the best part is hearing all of the pruned-away suggestions every time someone picks a branch.

2. "add-on": another climbing game, sort of like the dual of climbing-horse, where people take turns making moves and simon-says-style repeating all previous moves and adding one at the end. have not actually tried this one yet.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2009, 12:02 PM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
i dont think its relevant to discuss wether album format is good or bad for dnb. its a form for dance music so most of the tracks on an album are dsigned (produced) to make people dance! there are some expections but that is the main point.
its the same with techno or house..
but!

Yeah - in principle I do agree with you; the problem comes in that if I try and listen to Timeless or whatever it's a different thing to sweating your balls off in a dingy tunnel in the fuckarse of nowhere. I'm not saying it has to be the case for everyone, but for me this sort of music - and, I suppose, most dance music - it's an incredibly social thing, and I don't really associate listening to records with a 'social experience' (in much the same way reading a book isn't very social). I have to say, I do think the experience of club music in a club is vastly superior to the same music at home. On the other hand, I can think of nothing worse than listening to Schoenberg in a club, which is precisely what I'm doing right now at home.

Personal preference and all, you understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2009, 12:26 PM   #30
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge

do people know what curling is?

yup it's a game played on ice. Where one guy pushes or
slides this heavy object sort of like a teapot. down the ice
to the target area where either they try to knock the opponent out of the scoring area or put their shuttlecock (?)
on the highest scoring area. Once they throw it two guys with brooms sweep the ice frantically to help steer the cock.
Old 10.13.2009, 12:30 PM   #31
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
cock lol

it's called a stone.

canadians don't really have names like that for stuff, they even call fags "cigarettes" (i kno,weeeeird)
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2009, 12:59 PM   #32
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
stone that's it. Anyways it looks hellva lot more fun than
ice fishing.
Old 10.13.2009, 07:21 PM   #33
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
i dont think its relevant to discuss wether album format is good or bad for dnb.

well yeah, except no
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 03:55 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
slavo, try

omni trio - even angels cast shadows

Old 10.28.2009, 04:04 AM   #35
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Will do, later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks!

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 10.28.2009, 04:12 AM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure if I linked this before. Not much in the way of dnb, but it is a massive archive of mixes from what you might call the Detroit fallout. I'm listening to Derrick May at the moment, which pushes all sorts of good buttons.

Herr Park, you really should listen to a lot of this, especially the stuff that isn't AFX or Autechre. Start with DJ Rolando. You probably won't like it, but you really should.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.28.2009, 04:17 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh man, thanks, I'm on a huge electronic kick lately.

Old 10.28.2009, 01:31 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Interested!

Quote:
Old 10.28.2009, 04:48 PM   #39
Glice
invito al cielo

Cool, thanks. I'm particularly interested because I tend not to think of Americans being that bothered by acid (certainly not to the degree that it was taken up over here) so I'm kind of interested to hear how they treat it.

Quote:
Old 10.28.2009, 05:20 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Yeah, it's funny - obviously, there's a huge exchange of house (etc) music goes on between UK and the US. I tend to think that the majority of Americans have absolutely no idea how brilliant/ important UR (etc) is though. It's funny though, I think house is almost a dirty word over here now. Everyone's raving about dubstep at the moment but I can't remember the last time I heard anything positive about new-ish house music.

Downloading again, thanks!

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth