Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.17.2022, 05:56 AM   #25361
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
NOS News•today, 09:53

Film Mardi Gras (1898) found in the Netherlands in the national film list of the US

Footage of a parade in New Orleans found in the Netherlands has been included in the US National Film Registry. The Mardi Grass Carnival , made in 1898, is the oldest film of the carnival celebration and was discovered this year in the collection of the Eye film museum.

In the footage, just under two minutes long, a colorful procession with several floats moves through the streets of New Orleans. The footage was found when the Louisiana State Museum was looking for its oldest record for an exhibit about the folk festival.

That turned out to be a 68mm film from one of Eye's oldest collections, the archive of an American newsreel. It had already been preserved in 1998, but then no one realized how unique the statue was. Eye hopes that now that the other approximately 200 films from this archive are being digitized, even more special images will be discovered.

Mardi Grass Carnival shows how exuberant the party was already celebrated at the time:

Mardi Gras Carnival 1898

The film is included in the National Film Registry because the American Library of Congress considers the recordings special. Each year, 25 films are selected for that list that are of great "cultural, historical or aesthetic importance to the national film heritage".

The list of 850 titles includes Hollywood classics such as Gone with the Wind , The Sound of Music and The Matrix , but also an information film such as The Story of Menstruation (1946), an amateur film of a visit to Disneyland and the Zapruder film of the murder on President Kennedy. There are only nine titles from before 1900 on the list.

If a film is selected for the register, the Library of Congress, one of the U.S. cultural bearers, promises to make an effort to preserve it, for example by including a copy in its collection, helping other archives to change the title. to store or to assist with restorations.

Romcom, animation and blaxploitation

At the same time as Mardi Grass Carnival , 24 other titles were selected, such as the romcom When Harry Met Sally , horror film Carrie , Disney animation The Little Mermaid, blaxploitation film Super Fly and the first of the successful series of Marvel films, Iron Man . They are all titles that were influential in their genre, explains Congressional Librarian Carola Hayden.

There were 6858 nominations submitted by the public this year. Films must be at least ten years old to be eligible.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2022, 06:13 AM   #25362
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I read about a movie that I'm sure tw2113 would love to see

the soundtrack was just released on Invada (label of Thought Forms) that's how I found out. Didn't like much of it, and it doesn't feature the original Heidi theme song. But I do like the story behind the movie. Here's a copy/paste of an imdb review:

Quote:
The story behind "Mad Heidi" is almost as interesting - if not MORE interesting - than the film itself. The project started more than 3 years ago as the crazy dream of a bunch of Swiss horror/cult film-buffs. The mission: make the first-ever Swiss exploitation movie, preferably as insane and over-the-top as humanly possible. The challenge: they didn't have any money, only a lot of devoted enthusiasm and energy.

What followed is probably one of the most impressive and respectable crowd-funding campaigns in history. Via Internet and various social media channels, the "Mad Heidi" hype slowly but surely increased. Funds were raised via merchandising (you could even buy a cuckoo-clock) and the pre-order DVD sales of a movie that didn't exist yet! The campaign was incredibly successful, and the film was made with more than enough budget for excellent special effects, and even the involvement of a relatively well-known B-actor; - Casper Van Dien.

But then came Covid-19 ... Just like everything else in the world, the release of "Mad Heidi" was put on hold, and the patience of the cast, crew and thousands of co-funders got tested immensely. Now, and finally, the movie had its world-premiere at the Brussels' International Fantastic Film Festival. It was a real party.

Inevitably, the festive ambiance before, during and after the screening of "Mad Heidi" heavily influenced my experience and rating. I'm sorry for that, but it's simply impossible to get euphoric when you are surrounded by hundreds of people yodeling in a theater, wearing fake Swiss Nazi-uniforms, and drinking beer.

Most importantly, though, "Mad Heidi" is exactly what it promised to be ever since the beginning of production; - namely a massively entertaining and absurdly eccentric exploitation movie with copious amounts of splatter, twisted humor, demented characters, self-parody, deliberately dumb quotes and catch-phrases, and non-stop vitality. The tone, style and content of the film isn't new or innovative. The plot is comparable to crowd-pleasing flicks like "Inglourious Bastards" or "Iron Sky", and the script pays tribute to approximately three dozen of cinematic treasures varying from "The Sound of Music" to "Lady Snowblood".

The story is of lesser importance, but it neatly follows the structure of a textbook revenge-thriller. If I tell you Casper Van Dien stars as the tyrannical and megalomaniacal President of Switzerland, and simultaneously CEO of the only authorized company to produce and export cheese, you already know enough. He wants to obtain world-domination via genetically altered cheese, but a heroic girl from the Alps is determined to get revenge for the murder of her boyfriend and the downfall of her beloved Motherland.

Of all the great fun and splendid gimmicks, what I most appreciated is how the makers wonderfully inserted every possible Swiss cliche and national symbol into their film. There's the Matterhorn and cheese bowls in the film-logo already, but everything else you could possibly associate with Switzerland features as well: idyllic mountain paths, Alp horns, cuckoo clocks, cheese fondue, watches, pocket knives, Toblerone chocolate, ... There's so much lunacy and mayhem happening that Heidi's character and her quest for revenge is even pushed to the background sometimes, which is a minor default.

Here's the Mad Heidi trailer

Old 12.17.2022, 06:13 PM   #25363
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I'll willingly check it out.

Watching Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter right now
Old 12.18.2022, 07:07 PM   #25364
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Night of the Creeps
Old 12.22.2022, 01:12 AM   #25365
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

This shit: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327643/

YOLO
Old 12.24.2022, 09:26 AM   #25366
_tunic_
invito al cielo

at the start I didn't like it a lot, towards the end I did.

Definitely worth the three or so hours!

Old 12.24.2022, 12:51 PM   #25367
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
NOS News•today, 09:53

Film Mardi Gras (1898) found in the Netherlands in the national film list of the US

Footage of a parade in New Orleans found in the Netherlands has been included in the US National Film Registry. The Mardi Grass Carnival , made in 1898, is the oldest film of the carnival celebration and was discovered this year in the collection of the Eye film museum.

In the footage, just under two minutes long, a colorful procession with several floats moves through the streets of New Orleans. The footage was found when the Louisiana State Museum was looking for its oldest record for an exhibit about the folk festival.

That turned out to be a 68mm film from one of Eye's oldest collections, the archive of an American newsreel. It had already been preserved in 1998, but then no one realized how unique the statue was. Eye hopes that now that the other approximately 200 films from this archive are being digitized, even more special images will be discovered.

Mardi Grass Carnival shows how exuberant the party was already celebrated at the time:

Mardi Gras Carnival 1898

The film is included in the National Film Registry because the American Library of Congress considers the recordings special. Each year, 25 films are selected for that list that are of great "cultural, historical or aesthetic importance to the national film heritage".

whoa! it looks awesome! ah, if one only could hear the sound there, it must have been incredible...

--

Quote:

hahahahaha mad heidi killing fascists looks like fun....

btw... does this cast member get a lot of screen time? https://www.instagram.com/almargsato/
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2022, 09:35 PM   #25368
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Real Genius. Classic Kilmer
Old 12.26.2022, 06:50 PM   #25369
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

The Marine 6: Close Encounters.

Yolo
Old 12.27.2022, 02:56 AM   #25370
_tunic_
invito al cielo

I was having a theme night

The American is a great movie. The Psycho was a bit too disturbing for me.
The Factory is a really interesting documentary. Amazing that they were allowed to film it all.

Old 12.27.2022, 06:03 AM   #25371
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The Psycho was a bit too disturbing for me.

You have no idea how many memes about this one I see, it is absolutely huge with the zoomers for some reason.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2022, 08:11 AM   #25372
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I was having a theme night

if i can suggest another one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Real Genius. Classic Kilmer
hah, i like that one a lot. very funny, plus a massive nerd crush on michelle meyrink
Old 12.27.2022, 08:49 AM   #25373
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
if i can suggest another one...

well, there's an important restriction:
it needs to be recorded by me from the TV over the past year (and not yet watched obviously). Or it needs to be available on Netflix.
I've got three more TV recorded movies that fit in this theme, so the theme night will continue today, and there's also a few others on Netflix but those aren't too good I think.

Old 12.28.2022, 05:07 AM   #25374
_tunic_
invito al cielo

the plan was to finish the theme last night, but I only got to watching one of the remaining and choose to watch the speed skating championships instead.

it's a bit lame, but very entertaining at the same time.
The end credits made me regret that I stopped smoking weed. Must be fun to watch that when stoned, it will probably make the entire movie a whole lot better

it's a touch choice, Kirsten Stewart or Jutta Leerdam:

Old 12.29.2022, 04:25 AM   #25375
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Didn't like it as much as I possibly should have. I read the Trivia on imdb after watching the movie and then almost wanted to watch it again. I thought the characters were a bit too much over the top, and the story was long winded. But it looks very good, and it has a nice soundtrack as well.

Christian Bale looked an awful lot like Woody Harrelson to me. And Jeremy Renner plays the mayor who's in the office for like 20 years, but he looks like he's in his late twenties.

Old 12.29.2022, 09:22 AM   #25376
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

hahaha i love american hustle. seen it a handful of times. david o. russell is hilarious: flirting with disaster, i heart huckabees, three kings, silver linings playbook...

the cast in american hustle is awesome, hahahahha, i laugh just thinking about them. i mean sure, there is a serious story of some sort going on, but i read it mainly as a comedy. more specifically: a farce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk_-hjQ75mQ

hahahahahahaaaa she's so great...

but yeah none of the actual people involved in the real life events looked anything like their film counterparts. i've looked them up...
Old 12.29.2022, 11:29 AM   #25377
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I watched American Hustle and fell asleep twice.

I stopped caring about movies where the only issue is white people problems...
Old 12.29.2022, 03:38 PM   #25378
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I watched American Hustle and fell asleep twice.

I stopped caring about movies where the only issue is white people problems...
i think watching white people having problems can often be hilarious
Old 12.29.2022, 10:07 PM   #25379
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Slackers
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Old 12.29.2022, 11:34 PM   #25380
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.

Natural followup
769116912191259126612671268 1269 1270127112721279 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth