Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Opinion On Live Laptops??
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.12.2006, 07:47 AM   #1
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
What do you think about live laptops in noise/experimental stuff?

From what I've seen its mostly really cold and boring....
The only things i've found interesting involving laptops is when its only part of the performers setup.

For example this solo guy Heil Spirits used a laptop but also played bass, a little keyboard, heaps of pedals and vocals. It was really cool but still I expect the worst when i see a laptop on stage.
Old 04.12.2006, 08:12 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
The only laptop artist I've seen is Pan Sonic, and with them the music was so good, and the sinewaves projection thing behind them so hypnotic, that I really didn't notice that they were just sitting at a table doing something with a computer. To have someone leaping about on stage would have been a distraction.

However, I saw The Young Gods a few years back, which was men standing behind samplers, and that was so incredibly boring that the quality of the music just couldn't save it.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:13 AM   #3
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
it's depend. I'm seeing many laptops on stage but everything with the same uses.
most of times I didnt like that. it's a machine not an instrument and it should be used as an automatic machine to capture and elaborate signals.
next step is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have NEVER seen a "live" laptop "performance" that didn't make me want to heckle and yell. You know, something along the lines of "Hey, could you send me en email," or "So, whatcha got there, Windows?"

I have no problem with people using whatever they want to make music, but if you are a laptop person, you should realize that live performance is not really in the cards.
To pay admission to see someone sit in front of a computer is not my idea of a good time. I have seen people utilize laptops as part of their gear, and then it doesn't bother me, but loners with laptops in a live setting just annoy the shit out of me.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:19 AM   #5
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I have NEVER seen a "live" laptop "performance" that didn't make me want to heckle and yell. You know, something along the lines of "Hey, could you send me en email," or "So, whatcha got there, Windows?"

I have no problem with people using whatever they want to make music, but if you are a laptop person, you should realize that live performance is not really in the cards.
To pay admission to see someone sit in front of a computer is not my idea of a good time. I have seen people utilize laptops as part of their gear, and then it doesn't bother me, but loners with laptops in a live setting just annoy the shit out of me.

I'm agree with Erik. anyway I think computer on stage could takes new utilization forms.
next step is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I hate laptops so much, I have one in my band. I like the way Luc Ferrari (deceased) would deal with the perfomance side of laptops by performing in pitch black. Smart move. Merzbow can get away with not having a stage show because he makes something that is physically quite difficult to listen to in the first place. Alvo Noto with Ryuchi Sugimoto (sp?) last year was quite interesting - wonderful visuals.

So yes. I say laptops + visuals = can be good; laptops alone + probably bad; laptops + instrument = good.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 12:07 PM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i went to a show the other day and one of the people playing was a laptop guy who just hit play and then left the stage. astounding. i would have liked to have snapped his neck. to make it even more insulting his music was composed by using the answers from su doku as patterns to make beats in garageband!

l
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 12:11 PM   #8
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
laptops can be alright in quiet london improv type music, it only seems appropriate and fitting that people like kaffe matthews and the other ones sit stock still, there's usually an actual instrument player aswell to make it less annoying
Old 04.12.2006, 12:30 PM   #9
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I say laptops + visuals = can be good; laptops alone = probably bad; laptops + instrument = good.

exactly... i was going to mention merzbow too as being not boring... not so much because of the visuals of dead chickens or whatever, but because it's a challenge to endure physically.

however, last week i saw phil niblock/thomas ankersmit in a individual and duo setting and while ankersmit was still somewhat ok to watch, niblock was most of the time staring at the floor, one hand on his lap while he used the other to rest his head on. pretty boring... the plain visuals couldn't save the performance for me.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 02:06 PM   #10
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
live laptop = bad

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 02:16 PM   #11
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I wouldn't want to go see that crap.
Old 04.12.2006, 02:42 PM   #12
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
to tell you the truth i've never seen a live laptop performance

but from what you've telling, it sounds crappy and boring...i've been thinking for awhile about live laptop-ish performances since i do my project I/C/O/C mostly on my computer and a guitar, and thought how i could translate that stuff live; i thought of these:

-improvisation is the best thing to do with a laptop, since "playing" already written/recorded material would result in a boombox performance, kinda like what Toilet & Bowels described. at least you get the slight sensation of playing from actually doing something other than pushing play.

-this also reminds me of electronica, you can either go (to use broad terms) the chemical brothers way and push play and leave the playback intact, go the prodigy way and incorporate a live band element to the performance or go the fatboy slim way and make a set of original noise material and mix n' match a bunch into a giant collage of harsh sound

-if you are playing noise by yourself with a computer, you should play loud so it seems like a live performance and not like some geeky kid listening to black eyed peas with busted speakers on a park bench.

-make it seem like you are excited by the sounds you are coming up with, not just stare like doing your homework.

-some visuals like lights (or lack of them, as someone said here) or some sort of different instrument going on or projections, etc. help a lot.

-a laptop is not a musical instrument, just think of it "you like my ax? macs are my weapon of choice" "well, i'm more of vintage guy myself, i don't play anything newer than ibms; i swear by my amiga"
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 04:01 PM   #13
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
-make it seem like you are excited by the sounds you are coming up with, not just stare like doing your homework.

when i saw Dat Politics live (I seem to mention them a lot here, I don't know why), although they spent most of their time behind their laptops, it was absolutely not boring and perhaps it was simply because they really looked excited by the sounds they were making, the three of them banging their heads like mad in synch to the beats or noises, and getting all sweaty...
they were also singing from time to time, and using some other electronic instruments if i remember well, so that helped...
and the music was great...

o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 04:44 PM   #14
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onani Nic
What do you think about live laptops in noise/experimental stuff?

From what I've seen its mostly really cold and boring....
The only things i've found interesting involving laptops is when its only part of the performers setup.

For example this solo guy Heil Spirits used a laptop but also played bass, a little keyboard, heaps of pedals and vocals. It was really cool but still I expect the worst when i see a laptop on stage.

Great Laptop acts I've seen:

Jim O'rourke
Carlos Giffoni
Ikue Mori
Whitehouse
Massimo

and Merzbow was pretty okay too

They exist, and they rock.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 04:47 PM   #15
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
It would be cool if after every song the guy got up and threw the laptop down, stepped on it, threw it at the speakers, etc. only to bring out a new one.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 05:11 PM   #16
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
the first show i played i used a computer, but it wasnt all i used and i moved around and such

ive seen performances where they just stare at the screen, really shitty. although once there was some crazy videosonic projection team doing all this crazy psych stuff and that made it alot better.

my favorite laptop performace
cryptic weevil - contact mic'd laptop + axe
Old 04.12.2006, 05:16 PM   #17
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
laptops are good tools for live performance, i just finished a show where we has three of them on stage, however we also had drums, two guitars, two basses, three keyboards and four vocal mics. they are just another music creation tool and i don't see a problem with them, but i don't disagree that it would be boring to see someone just sitting or standing behind one on stage and that was the breadth of their performance aesthetic.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 07:55 PM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I forgot to mention - Guitar groups are fucking boring live. Lets not forget that. I guarantee, the next guitar band you'll see will be dull as piss, as they'll probably be an opening act, and will probably have no ideas or any idea how to play live - what laptop does, for me, is make me realise how much I appreciate good live shows, regardless of the instruments, and draws into sharp focus how utterly shit the majority of guitar bands are.

*To be edited in sobriety.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:04 PM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Oh, I forgot to mention - Guitar groups are fucking boring live. Lets not forget that. I gaurentee, the next guitar band you'll see will be dull as piss, as they'll probably be an opening act, and will probably have no ideas or any idea how to play live - what laptop does, for me, is make me realise how much I appreciate good live shows, regardless of the instruments, and draws into sharp focus how utterly shit the majority of guitar bands are.

*To be edited in sobriety.

i just got back from seeing Afrirampo, i've never seen a band win a skeptical crowd over more quickly, they did it in about 20 seconds.

Anyway, that's true what someone said about DAT Politics, they were actually better live than on record, probably a first as far as laptop music goes.
Old 04.13.2006, 07:15 AM   #20
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
It's not about type of instrument, it's about the way you play it. A shitty player is a shitty player, no matter if he plays guitar or laptop.

As for myself, I have seen many great laptop performances:
Fennesz (2003...wall of noise), Rehberg+Bauer, Tujiko Noriko (just laptop and her angel voice...beautiful!!), Christoph Kurzmann, Oren Ambarchi

as well as many shitty ones:
Fennesz (2005...boring. compared to the first show, he was using guitar/laptop combination), Koji Asano (oh hell, I almost fell asleep), Florian Hecker and, surprisingly, also Vladislav Delay (an endless set with minimum variations) and Jan Jelinek.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth