Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Reccomend me some Dubstep
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.13.2011, 05:35 PM   #201
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Listening to ANTI WAR DUB by them Digital Mystikz makes me xoxoxo my soul.

mystikz is pretty much the best ever music
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2011, 10:14 PM   #202
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
stuff I listened to a bunch lately (not all is dubstep but quite a bit of it is and there really aren't any other dedicated electronic threads on here to post this to):

new ikonika
girl unit - wut?
tensnake - coma cat
terror danjah - undeniable
james blake - cmyk
optimum - max power
skudge - convolution
black dog - music for real airports
conforce - grace
actress - splazsh

A lot of that is dub/post-dubstep type stuff, really awesome.

Also been listening to Esoteric and Curley a lot, both are awesome epic techno with lots of changes. And the new Calibre, Even If, is one of the best d'n'b albums I've heard in forever.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 01:19 AM   #203
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
adam, have you checked the night slugs compilation ? i think about it because there's both girl unit and optimum in your list. it might well be my record of 2010. nothing on there is less than excellent
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 01:31 AM   #204
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
ohh, I got some other night slugs stuff that kills (Mosca's SQUARE ONE was on constant play a few months back), but haven't heard that comp. Getting it right now, you've been dead-on with your reccomendations so I pretty much always stop everything to check out whatever you throw my way.. Really appreciate it, dude.

Hey foix, I've asked before, but where do you find your music?! I check out RESIDENT ADVISOR about once a month, I don't always agree with their reviews, the actual opinions expressed in them, but their reviews are well written and articulate enough to at least describe the stuff I'm going to hear. So I check them out just to see if there's anything interesting.

BTW, this terror danjah album "undeniable" strikes again, as far as "albums with vocals" go. I really really really don't like just about any of the vocals on the album (lots of poor rapping, like The Streets but even more arhythmic and downright boring), but the MUSIC is so goddamned brilliant. Vocals only take up about 18 minutes of the album, but the vocal songs are the longest on the album. I just flat-out don't understand why these brilliant musicians feel the need to get every random rapper they're friends with, awkwardly and arhythmically "rap" over top of their brilliant compositions. There are plenty of inventive and interesting things a good producer can do with vocals; hell, take a few lines out and make 'em a hook, have 'em repeat a bunch, fuck with them until they're unrecognizable... you could make a guy's vocals so chopped up and insane that it matches the beat perfectly... "yo yo yo hello hello got multiple tongues so you don't know where to look this ain't no 4/4 don't listen for da hook yo" you know? But instead of it going from there, cut up the yo yos and make em wonky as fukk, have the "4/4" line cleverly stutter on an actual 4/4 beat and then break apart, maybe overdub yourself going "5/4" and then "7/4" as the music breaks apart. I dunno, I get little ideas all the time of weird shit to do, I just don't understand how music can be so intelligent and intricate but then you got some guy performing vocal disarhea on the mic.

Anyway thanks for the reccomends, FXXXX!

Old 01.14.2011, 01:33 AM   #205
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

fuck yeah, getting night slugs all stars vol 1 right now and it kicks off RIGHT AWAY with square one, FUCK YEAH!

Old 01.14.2011, 02:10 PM   #206
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
ohh, I got some other night slugs stuff that kills (Mosca's SQUARE ONE was on constant play a few months back), but haven't heard that comp. Getting it right now, you've been dead-on with your reccomendations so I pretty much always stop everything to check out whatever you throw my way.. Really appreciate it, dude.
you're welcome ! i hope you'll like it. some of those synths as cheap as fuck but just irresistible. when the beat drops on lil silva's golds 2 get i'm always spastic. and kingdom's bust broke fucking slay. and wut obviously. and jacques greene's track is just excellent. egyptrixx delivers. not to talk about l-vis 1990. simply perfect.

Quote:
Hey foix, I've asked before, but where do you find your music?! I check out RESIDENT ADVISOR about once a month, I don't always agree with their reviews, the actual opinions expressed in them, but their reviews are well written and articulate enough to at least describe the stuff I'm going to hear. So I check them out just to see if there's anything interesting.
i find it pretty much everywhere. resident advisor is definitely a source, though i do not necessarily agree with their reviews either, i'll just check the names that sound interesting to me. last.fm is still my main source for music obviously. dubstepforum is also a good point... as well as xlr8r. podcasts and mixes are obviously a good way to find about new artists.

Quote:
BTW, this terror danjah album "undeniable" strikes again, as far as "albums with vocals" go. I really really really don't like just about any of the vocals on the album (lots of poor rapping, like The Streets but even more arhythmic and downright boring), but the MUSIC is so goddamned brilliant. Vocals only take up about 18 minutes of the album, but the vocal songs are the longest on the album. I just flat-out don't understand why these brilliant musicians feel the need to get every random rapper they're friends with, awkwardly and arhythmically "rap" over top of their brilliant compositions. There are plenty of inventive and interesting things a good producer can do with vocals; hell, take a few lines out and make 'em a hook, have 'em repeat a bunch, fuck with them until they're unrecognizable... you could make a guy's vocals so chopped up and insane that it matches the beat perfectly... "yo yo yo hello hello got multiple tongues so you don't know where to look this ain't no 4/4 don't listen for da hook yo" you know? But instead of it going from there, cut up the yo yos and make em wonky as fukk, have the "4/4" line cleverly stutter on an actual 4/4 beat and then break apart, maybe overdub yourself going "5/4" and then "7/4" as the music breaks apart. I dunno, I get little ideas all the time of weird shit to do, I just don't understand how music can be so intelligent and intricate but then you got some guy performing vocal disarhea on the mic.

Anyway thanks for the reccomends, FXXXX!
hmm, i don't know, i'm into some of the vocal tracks on that lp - though "story ending" for instance is abysmal -, but then again i have no problem with rapping over the tracks in general so that might explain it. and the best track on the album is definitely s.o.s. which is 8 minutes of pure instrumental bliss. but the vocals could have been done better, that's for sure. now terror danjah has always been a force in grime, so i guess it makes sense for him to include a few mcs in his tracks...
now that, for instance, is a fucking great track with mcs imo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoTkDUcL3dI
the way the rap kicks in along with the drop just kills me eveytime. frenetic, hypnotic, violent. it just makes the song even greater, it does not feel like some useless addition to the track

in another style : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgmrnhU7RpQ fucking kills me as well anytime (though the track was initially centered around the vocal so i guess it makes sense).

personally, i feel vocals can either work or not... but i'm not against a grime mc spitting all over the track.
Old 01.14.2011, 02:11 PM   #207
SYRFox
invito al cielo

now in other electronic music news, this is my latest addiction :

Maya Jane Coles - What They Say

fucking excellent house track. gotta love those vocal samples throughout the track. she's got a nice dubstep project, nocturnal sunshine, as well with a track out that was played in scuba's podcast for resident advisor a while ago...
Old 01.14.2011, 05:22 PM   #208
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
SYRFox, what was that track you showed me one time that had this insane, cool bass wobble after I noted that I hated them?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2011, 05:46 PM   #209
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Could it be Goblin by Coki by any chance ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWgvo6TtZQ

Other mindblowing wobblers amongst loads of them :

King Cannibal - Aragami Style (this one is REALLY insane. your brain will melt at 1:30)
Zomby - Euphoria (of course...)
Kromestar - Kalawanji
Truth - Legion (you can almost feel the space between the notes in this one. incredible stuff)
Old 01.14.2011, 06:38 PM   #210
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah it was that. Thank you!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2011, 03:00 PM   #211
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

fuck yeah great wobble!

and yeah fox it's just that the terror danjah album is one of my favorites, instrumentally, ever, so the vocals just throw me for a loop. not in a good way either.

fox thanks for reccomending so much great shit -- i discovered more awesome muzak in 2010 from you than anywhere/anyone else (derek is someone else i discovered a lot from, and then glice). keep 'em comin man.

Old 01.15.2011, 03:05 PM   #212
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I got something really badass on soulseek called 100 GRIME AND DUBSTEP INSTRUMENTALS, it's a 5 cd set.

btw, fuck yeah on that kromestar stuff. also yeah scuba is AMAZING, scuba is my favorite dubstep artist I think, scuba zomby and ikonika are basically the 3 I reccomend to everyone. TRIANGULATION.. can't do much better than that album imo.

but yeah, IKONIKA never fails to blow me away, this new ep is AWESOME. Might be my favorite Ikonika song. 2011 already starting out awesome for her. Please listen:

Ikonika - Aqueous Cream ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CSzuUqZiI

hey fox ever see DUBFILES? i got 2 dubstep docs a while back and can't remember the name of the other one, but dubfiles was pretty comprehensive/insane, it was like 2 1/2 hours long if I remember correctly. was kind of a mess, there was just SO MUCH to take in, but it was great for the most part.

Old 01.15.2011, 03:12 PM   #213
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
dunno if this qualifies as dubstep, and not sure it's a "new" link, but listen loud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrjGO5V5go
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2011, 04:16 PM   #214
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czaY6...eature=related

This has been my favorite track for the last year or so. Caspa and Rusko - Louder. I had a great night on some pills and this song kicked in at my peak, it was close to a religious experience. Since then, I can't get enough of this song.

Ikonika's Aqueous Cream is fantastic, Adam! She's my favorite new artist of the last 5 years. I love that she says she can't even play music. 'i just hit the keys until it sounds good'. I wouldn't believe it.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2011, 04:53 PM   #215
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

absolutely, she's probably my favorite new electronic artist as well (autechre is my favorite, still, my favorite of all time definitely -- move of ten was pretty underrated, honestly, I think people still hadn't wraped their head around oversteps, and probably won't for a while, before they dropped move of ten which was infinitely better in every way). that new song rules. I bet I've listened to it 500 times in the past 3 days man. It's the lead single for her new label HUM AND BUZZ. I have a good feeling that her new label will kick all kinds of ass. also, what a lead single, eh? she released it like 3 days into 2011. So, I have a feeling 2011 will be a big year for her, just like 2010 was.

Also, this "doesn't know how to play music" thing has gotta be a put-on, at least to an extent. I guess I don't really know how to play music, either (and don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing myself to the melodic genius of Ikonika), but I can still come up with riffs and melodies. Anyone can. Still, very few come up melodies as infectious, addictive, and -- um, for lack of a better word -- MELODIC, as Ikonika does. I mean, she's made at least 20 songs AS Ikonika now, so I think she really is starting to understand "oh, if I put this note next to THIS note, it'll sound good." you know? She's made her own language, but it's a damn infinitely-relistenable, addictive language. She has to understand music, at least to the degree of what sounds good and what doesn't. And while some notes might technically be "wrong" (though I don't really believe in the concept of "wrong" notes), it all sounds fucking good to me. I mean, all those counterpoints! I mean, she'll have like 7 melodies going on at the same time. Have you heard her song DICK HEAD BITCH (I think she stylized it "dckhdbtch" or something like that)? That is one of her most melodically insane songs, I bet there are 15 individual melodies in it, it's like a series of disconnected melodies. A loit of her songs, to me, seem to be about the drums, how off they are, but that song is all about those sweet melodies. Her best songs have a good mix of both. Like I said, she's also great at having these little elements that one doesn't really notice -- but by the end of the song, they've taken center stage. I noticed a lot of her songs ehd with ALL elements coming together -- she will kinda subtley "hint" at some kind of melodic break or sound halfway through the song, but those parts almost always take over everything by the end.

Anyway, I'm sure she doesn't even think about this stuff very much, or want to be analyzed. I just know she flat out motherfucking rules.

Old 01.15.2011, 04:56 PM   #216
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

also, thanks for the "Louder" song, it's apparently part of some comp called fabric 74, I believe, which has all sorts of great shit on it (mainly rusko, but there's some skream and some other heavyweights on it). I just cannot believe how much great music there is in this genre -- this genre has just flat-out fucking EXPLODED in the past few years. Such consistently great albums just coming from everywher.

Old 01.15.2011, 05:29 PM   #217
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:

this is so badass. his song "FLOWER OF FLESH AND BLOOD" (named after the guinnea pig movie) is one of my favorite electronic songs ever. Listen to this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uObs0npspj0

Old 01.21.2011, 02:33 PM   #218
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
CMYK by James Blake

yep, been jamming the shit out of this one. SOO GOOD.

Old 01.21.2011, 11:32 PM   #219
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone else here enjoying the Vicki Leekx mix tape by MIA? It redeemed her from MAYA in my opinion and features some awesome producers mixing her shit up.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2011, 03:06 PM   #220
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Fabric 55 by Shackleton has to be one of the most perfect records I've ever heard. I can't stop listening to it at the moment.

You're beginning to come up.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth