Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page NYC G+F love thread.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.18.2008, 11:44 AM   #41
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
it deserved a 0.0 on pitchfork,because in my opinion this album is out of any voting scale you could come up with.sounds like love,electric rain,water and darkness.one of my favorite records of all times.i bought it the day it was released and it was one of the best days in my life,walking around listening to it that very afternoon. the song NYC g&F performed live is the BEST live performance i've ever witnessed.now i'll shut up.

you speak from the bottom of my heart really
I made a similar expereince at the release day too
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 07:21 PM   #42
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
that guy at pitchfork must be one of those i've become really really harsh with my years and years of critics who gets a hard on at the thought of typing in a 0.0 in the rating box. he doesn't even deserve the right to own a pen.

not really... just wanted to get that off my chest...

i dont know... 0 dot 0 its quite disrespectful to all of the people who really appreciate the music, or the poetry or whatever the fuck they find in that album. 'i dont like it' might be better.
for me its quite a 8/9 out of 10. luv it..
Right on.
Old 10.20.2008, 03:05 AM   #43
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
the pitchfork review means fuck all in reality, but unfortunatly some people who are new to the youth might read it and avoid the album completley. I mean, if you got £20 to spend and you read that review, your not gonna buy it are you? You'll get Daydream and Goo. And thats a shame.

i fucking love it, but like someone else said, its too short
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 09:08 AM   #44
pedestrian
little trouble girl

pedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's asses
It's easy to be an asshole in rock journalism. It's so funny that some hack in Pitchfork gave this a shitty rating and people still talk about it. Google it, Wiki it; there's that fucking review. When this record came out i reviewed it in a MUCH bigger publication and gave it a very favorable review. But can you find my review on the glorious internet anymore? Nope. And that, my friends, is exactly why that dude gave NYC G&F a 0.0.
pedestrian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 03:06 PM   #45
clever name
bad moon rising

clever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's asses
I posted this last year on another NYC G&F thread, but it summates the hard-on that I have for this album and I can't resist the opportunity to share again with some fellow noise idolators:

NYC Ghosts & Flowers, my inescapable favorite. I was wondering when I'd have the chance to tickle this one to climax. I call it "ear-scouring dungeon emanations"; it's also an album in black-and-white, if such a thing exists. They were revisiting a medium that they'd left behind in the 80's.

It's the most upfront of all their albums in terms of its references. Goo, by contrast, seems to swirl a whole smorgasbord of American pop culture into its grooves, while this unwaveringly explores the mythic city and certain elements of its underground cultures (the "fucked up in Cleveland" lyric notwithstanding). The beatniks get the most explicit attention, but when listening to Renegade Princess and Free City Rhymes I feel like SY is imaginatively recreating the birth of punk-rock and hip hop. Renegade, for example, is like some tripped-out re-scoring of the video for Micheal Jackson's "Beat It", with the long coda that lasts the whole second half of the song coming off like a slow-motion replay of a Brooklyn up-rock (in black-and-white anime).

It's so spoon-bendingly dense that it defied my attempts at analysis initially. I didn't dig the whole thing like I do now, I was mainly obsessed with Free City Rhymes and NYC G&F. But one night I was driving around Orange, CA all high and shit with this album cranked, and Side2Side came on. Its myriad layers, the simultaneity of its fragmentation and cohesiveness, the sheer not-giving-a-fuck about it, totally won me over.

My one complaint is not about the album, but the prospects of ever hearing this stuff live. I've been to three SY shows and it doesn't feel like there's ever going to be an NYC G&F Redux, although that would be a cream-dream. We should all demand it, complete with instrumental versions of everything (or else)! Listen to this one all the way through and its initial dreariness will give way to a desolate bliss. If you can truly rock to StreamXSonic Subway you'll know you're there.
An end-note: Sonic Youth should create a long-form music video for this album! It wants to happen!
clever name is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth